First-World Problem Horror Stories

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a slightly-narrower-than-most refrigerator on backorder,
to replace the really old slightly-narrower-than-most refrigerator
that fits in the slightly-narrower-than-most nook in our kitchen.

If we're lucky, it'll be here in another month or two.

I now have a brand new $1k Bosch dishwasher in the kitchen because I couldn't get a $225 part that in reality should probably only cost $20....
It gets worse:
Real Soon Now
you're gonna drive down the road,
and pass a compatible dishwasher kicked to the curb,
with a perfectly-functioning circulation pump.
[rolleyes]

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had a true First-World Tragedy, today.

Someone at work brought in a six-pack of Creme Brulee, today. This is one of my favorites.
I looked forward to it, all day, to have with a nice cup of coffee, in the afternoon.

The. Damned. Butane. Torch. Would. NOT. Light!

I had to eat it, without caramelizing the sugar. [crying]

A true First-World disaster.

Anybody else have a Tale of Woe and Sorrow, of equal (or greater) importance, that they're willing to share? [laugh]

The things that we Americans think are problems.....
Failure to plan is planning to fail. Just sayin.....

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Dishwasher died. Tested and tore it apart and found the circulation pump was the culprit. Hopped online to find only one place had it in stock. Ordered it ($225, sigh) and laid for overnight shipping. 3 days later Sears emails me and says "Oh sorry that actually isn't in stock, and we don't know when it will be."

Went to my local appliance dealer and asked them what is going on. They said nothing is being shipped for parts or new units. Their inventory is decimated and everything is on backorder from parts to full units. He only had 4 dishwashers in stock, all on the floor.

I now have a brand new $1k Bosch dishwasher in the kitchen because I couldn't get a $225 part that in reality should probably only cost $20....
Bosch dishwashers are awesome. But it will break soon.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought custom engraved YETI ramblers for my girl and I. Tried to change the order before it was final because I changed my mind and wanted ones with a handle. YETI couldn’t edit it. The final product came and I don’t like the spacing between the lines, it has to do with the font I chose. Complained to YETI about the line spacing but all they could offer (after multiple emails) was 30% off another order, which is much more than I’d ever get even on Black Friday sales. Now I have to decide if I want to buy 2 new YETI ramblers or use the 30% off for a Tundra 45 cooler. Or both. I can’t decide! HELP!

omega42

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the main covid thread, or in the covid sitrep thread, or the riot thread, or here.... but.... brace yourselves...

The Victoria's Secret emailings I have been getting now show the models wearing masks! WTF is this??? Can I go burn something down in outrage?? I'd go to the mall and do it, but they require a mask to enter, so... I'm not going there.
Meh ... at the Victoria's Secret in Riyadh they'd have to wear burkas.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm finally able to post this.

2 weeks ago our second tv receiver stopped working. After numerous "online chats" with "tech support" who then determined I needed a new receiver, I was promised one on Labor Day. I double checked, they said yes, Monday (labor day). The day comes and goes, no receiver. Next day, I get back on the chat. After explaining what happened, "tech" tells me "oh, it wasn't ordered right. You will have it in 2 days." Plus a new gateway since we upgraded our internet last month. Cool. 2 days later, new gateway and new receiver. Can't set it up while husband is working as he needs internet. When he was done we get the gateway set up no problem. New receiver not working. Next day get on chat, after talking to 2 people (and going through the same dance of trouble shooting as I had done 15 times before) they say they will send out a tech that night between 4-8pm. It's Friday. 8:15, no word from the tech. get back on chat. Oh! That wasn't put in correctly. I tell them they need to fix this the next day. Am told "we don't have weekend slots." So Monday we have a tech show up. I tell him what's up. He looks at the receiver and says "that's not a wireless receiver." Replaces it. 10 minutes TOPS, all set. I ask him about the weekend not having techs. He tells me the guy online lied. (he didn't use that word but that's the gist) 3 hours later, another rep shows up. supposed to be "overseeing" the tech that showed up. I inform him he was done hours ago. He actually showed up at 11am because he was in the hood earlier than the scheduled 1pm slot. This took 11 days so I could get my second TV working again all because the "online tech" people were idiots and continually messed up the service requests - wrong equipment, failure to schedule, etc.

I was so upset that I would have cancelled our service if it wasn't the only option we have. And, I have to watch the Tour de France. Maybe next week I can cancel the tv service!

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My keyboard was dusty enough that some of the keys were sticking. I had a shop vac handy and ran it over the keyboard. It sucked off most of the key caps and I had to pick them out of the vac. Luckily, I had a spare keyboard so I could recall where all the keys went.

Soundwave

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Bought custom engraved YETI ramblers for my girl and I. Tried to change the order before it was final because I changed my mind and wanted ones with a handle. YETI couldn’t edit it. The final product came and I don’t like the spacing between the lines, it has to do with the font I chose. Complained to YETI about the line spacing but all they could offer (after multiple emails) was 30% off another order, which is much more than I’d ever get even on Black Friday sales. Now I have to decide if I want to buy 2 new YETI ramblers or use the 30% off for a Tundra 45 cooler. Or both. I can’t decide! HELP!
Whatever you choose. Make sure you put the Yeti sticker on your truck to make sure everyone knows you're into keeping things cold.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I thought yeti was a boycott?

vicpinto

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lets go one step more retarded....

The panel bulb behind the ventilation/heated seat control on the passenger side has burned out after 271000 miles of service, woe is me I think the entire car is likely unusable at this point. [rofl]
View attachment 308111
Lol. A buddy of mine's father inlaw bought a new car just because the tires on the old one needed replacing. It was a high end Mercedez or BMW. He got that kind of bank.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lol. A buddy of mine's father inlaw bought a new car just because the tires on the old one needed replacing. It was a high end Mercedez or BMW. He got that kind of bank.
I have used tires as the deciding factor on buying a new car, but that was just the straw that broke the camels back

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My Tacoma (the one covered in bird poop) is 11 years old now, but only after 3 or 4 years one by one all the dashboard lights decided to burn out. You would think this is simple, it is just a light bulb for crying out loud. But, when I asked how much to replace a light bulb long ago, they said over $300 because of the difficulty of taking the whole dash board apart to reach them. So, every time a bulb goes out, I'm out at least $300? NFW am I paying that kind of money. So, I have been driving around for years without any dash board lights.

Oh, and my AC failed a week ago and I can't afford to fix it, so now I also get to drive around without any AC in the winter.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Wow, that's full retard. Hell the 2nd set of tires is usually the best set you ever have on a car.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My keyboard was dusty enough that some of the keys were sticking. I had a shop vac handy and ran it over the keyboard. It sucked off most of the key caps ...

A buddy of mine's father inlaw bought a new car just because the tires on the old one needed replacing. It was a high end Mercedez or BMW. He got that kind of bank.
Anyone else remember the Car Talk call from the Texan
(think "more money than J.R. Ewing") who asked the Brothers
to mediate the dispute between his Mercedes dealership and his local tire store
about which one was responsible for the biennial semiannual exchange of summer and winter air?
Each place kept sending him to the other one, and he was getting mighty fed up.

Last edited:

vicpinto

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Anyone else remember the Car Talk call from the Texan
(think "more money than J.R. Ewing") who asked the Brothers
to mediate the dispute between his Mercedes dealership and his local tire store
about which one was responsible for the biennial exchange of summer and winter air?
Each place kept sending him to the other one, and he was getting mighty fed up.
LOL. One of the signs of the apocalypse I'm sure - driving around in winter with summer air in your tires.

Reactions: AHM

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
It started off so simply...

On Friday we took my wife's car to the shop. Her tire was leaking and going flat. I examine the tire and there's an obvious screw in it. He allegedly fixes it and we take it home.

Saturday morning her car shows a low tire pressure warning. Said screw is still in the same place on said tire. HUH? WTF?

So we bring the car back this morning. I actually do trust the guy. I believe it was an honest mistake. Apparently there was a nail in the center of the tire that I didn't see. He patched that. So we dropped the car off again this morning.

Time for me annual flu shot. I go online to CVS and make an appointment for 11:40. About 5 minutes before the appointment I get a call from the CVS MinuteClinic. FYI I'm almost at CVS when I get the call. Do I want the regular flu shot of the old shit flu shot that is extra potent? I want the old guy shot. Oh... we don't have those. We'll call you when they're in. OK...

So we stop at the shop to check on my wife's car as we're driving by. Nope, haven't looked at it yet. OK...

An hour later he calls. Tire can't be fixed. We need a new tire. DOH! Oh, and he doesn't have that tire in stock.

So later we'll drive to Costco Tire to see if they can fix it. The thing loses air overnight.

I'm trying to learn something new. I need focused time to learn. And today has been chopped to shit with nonsense.

I DEMAND REPARATIONS!

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It started off so simply...

On Friday we took my wife's car to the shop. Her tire was leaking and going flat. I examine the tire and there's an obvious screw in it. He allegedly fixes it and we take it home.

Saturday morning her car shows a low tire pressure warning. Said screw is still in the same place on said tire. HUH? WTF?

So we bring the car back this morning. I actually do trust the guy. I believe it was an honest mistake. Apparently there was a nail in the center of the tire that I didn't see. He patched that. So we dropped the car off again this morning.

Time for me annual flu shot. I go online to CVS and make an appointment for 11:40. About 5 minutes before the appointment I get a call from the CVS MinuteClinic. FYI I'm almost at CVS when I get the call. Do I want the regular flu shot of the old shit flu shot that is extra potent? I want the old guy shot. Oh... we don't have those. We'll call you when they're in. OK...

So we stop at the shop to check on my wife's car as we're driving by. Nope, haven't looked at it yet. OK...

An hour later he calls. Tire can't be fixed. We need a new tire. DOH! Oh, and he doesn't have that tire in stock.

So later we'll drive to Costco Tire to see if they can fix it. The thing loses air overnight.

I'm trying to learn something new. I need focused time to learn. And today has been chopped to shit with nonsense.

I DEMAND REPARATIONS!
LOL. I hate incompetence. And I had a week a little while back where it was just one broken thing after another - AC leaking at 1AM all over the bathroom, toilet handle busted, dryer vent blocked and then my UVerse TV 2nd receiver not working (11 DAYS and 3 screw ups before they got it corrected).

But here's my problem. This setting up shows to record is hard. Sometimes I forget to select "any day, any time" as stations like History channel love to run consecutive episodes. That really sucks if something is a multi part series. Sometimes I look for a title to record and then accidentally set it to record on the regular channel instead of the HD channel! That one blows! How am I supposed to actually watch something that isn't in High Def?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
A few years ago, I upgraded our toilet seats to those "soft closing" ones, where you just have to start it to fall down and it will gracefully lower itself all the way down completely hands free.

Well, the mechanism broke. And, I keep forgetting that it broke. So, I keep slamming it down at full force and it makes a loud bang. This startles me, and wakes me up in the night when I'm trying to peacefully take a whiz.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
A few years ago, I upgraded our toilet seats to those "soft closing" ones, where you just have to start it to fall down and it will gracefully lower itself all the way down completely hands free.

Well, the mechanism broke. And, I keep forgetting that it broke. So, I keep slamming it down at full force and it makes a loud bang. This startles me, and wakes me up in the night when I'm trying to peacefully take a whiz.
BTDT. Also keep slamming the seat in the rental place we have this year.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of The Bride's sisters got one of them.
We call it the Ghost Toilet.

She's always got the trendiest toilets.
In the 90's, she had a padded naugahyde seat.

Very unnerving: using it made you feel like
you were taking a crap on someone's Barcalounger.

Last edited:

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
One of The Bride's sisters got one of them.
We call it the Ghost Toilet.

She's always got the trendiest toilets.
In the 90's, she had a padded naugahyde seat.

Very unnerving; using it made you feel like
you were taking a crap
on someone's Barcalounger.
I would never trust a soft toilet seat, because it doesn't seem like something that can be thoroughly cleaned. It needs to be hard and smooth, so plastic. Not wood with pores. And, certainly not cushioned!

By the way, the cats were initially horrified by the soft-close seat. They like to jump up on it once I put it down, but because of the slow close, it wasn't all the way down. And, one of the cats jumps up onto it and is suddenly shocked when it drops the remaining distance. She leaped into the air several feet like she was spring loaded and bolted out of there and to the other end of the house.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I would never trust a soft toilet seat, because it doesn't seem like something that can be thoroughly cleaned. It needs to be hard and smooth, so plastic. Not wood with pores. And, certainly not cushioned!

You need to hire a retired PLO:

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So, my facebook feed is suddenly full of ads for two things:
1. Pirate shirts.
2. Tactical soap.

I mean come on now. Tactical soap I can understand, after all who out there hasn't looked at a bar of soap and said "this needs to be more tactical!" But, pirate shirts? Talk like pirate day already happened so the ad is too late!

Top Bottom