First wild edibles of the year - bull thistle root

The first wild edibles of the season are here. I finally got around to trying the thistle that I've been watching all of last year. They supposedly taste better in their first year, but I wanted to try a larger root. I harvested this a week ago.

Some cautions:

Know what you're doing. Obviously, be sure of your identification. Being wrong on plant ID can kill you. While some parts of plants may be edible, some other parts of the same plant can be harmful. Don't do this just because someone on the internet says it is a good idea. Use multiple sources for identifcation, preparation and cautions. I take no responsiblity for what you do.

Here's the root being harvested. I used a simple digging stick. It's just a sharpened stick, nothing fancy. It wasn't as efficient as a shovel and I didn't get the taproot. However the ones I did get were about the size of small carrots.

thistle01.jpg

Here they are after washing.

thistle02.jpg

I boiled them after peeling them, so I prepared them much in the same way as carrots.

thistle03.jpg

They have a very mild taste that is woody/earthy, but not unpleasant. They are chewy, tough and fibrous, more so than asparagus. Also, they're high in inulin which can cause gas. Salt improves the flavor, as does butter.

I didn't realize that this nasty plant was an edible. Thanks for the tip. I have this stuff sprout up everywhere all season long. I've been trying to eradicate it but it keeps coming back.

Now, I'll eat it.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't realize it was edible either. I normally spray it with Weed B Gone since those things on the leaves are sharp and pointy... sucks to step on!

When I was about 6 I was riding my bike on the sidewalk in front of the house and fell onto this "bull thistle" and proceded to freak out. My dad was so upset that he poisoned it with stuff you now need a hazmat suit to handle, burned the dead plant, and dug it out. I had forgoten about it until I saw this picture. Ahhh memories! [laugh]

I didn't realize that this nasty plant was an edible. Thanks for the tip. I have this stuff sprout up everywhere all season long. I've been trying to eradicate it but it keeps coming back.

Now, I'll eat it.

This recipe actually looks appealing

http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wildfoodjj/hothistl.htm

I mean if you are gonna increase your gas, might as well make it tasty on the way to production!! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom