• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First USPSA match checklist

So, although the weather is looking quite iffy, I was hoping to do my first USPSA match this weekend at Chester Rod and Gun on Sunday. To try to prepare/make sure I remember to bring everything, I made myself a checklist of stuff I think I'll need. If anyone has any suggestions on things I should add or remove, I would appreciate it. Also, if there are any suggestions on things to do to otherwise prepare they would be most welcome.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, I'll try to find someplace else to go maybe next weekend, if there's any suggestions on that front as well.
  • pistol
  • 6 mags
  • mag pouches
  • holster
  • belt
  • 250-300 rounds of ball ammo
  • range bag
  • eye protection
  • ear protection
  • match fee
  • water
  • hat
  • sunblock (depending on weather)
Thanks.

Looks like you have everything you need. Only thing I can think of is a comfortable pair of shoes, waterproof hiking type boots if it rains. Some ranges can get really muddy. Just remember to keep the muzzle pointed down range and finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire. Be safe and have fun.

Don't forget a nice slice of humble pie on a patience platter. It's your first time so relax, have fun and don't worry about the small stuff like misses, jams, slow reloads, etc'. It's going to happen and it's happened to everyone. Nobody is judging you as they've all gone through the same experience when they started.

Looks like you've got everything you'll need to shoot but there is more you can do. The matches are planned and setup by volunteers, if you can arrive early and help setup I'm sure the club would appreciate it. Even better would be to reach out to the club in advance about any help needed. Make sure they know it's your first match, ask questions if you're not clear on anything and pay attention to the stage briefs. During the match the targets will need to be reset and taped between shooters. Don't be the guy that for whatever reason thinks they don't need to help reset....nobody likes that guy. If it is your first match then focus on being safe vs trying to win the match by shooting and moving fast. Be safe and be accurate. Help with tear down and thank the people that put on the match.

No one will care how slow you are as long as you don’t scare the bejesus out of us. Listen carefully to the range officer. Go slow. Be slow, careful, and deliberate when the RO tells you to “make ready” and when the RO tells you to “unload and show clear”.

You will experience some adrenaline. That’s normal. Just take a deep breath, slow down, and focus.

Bring a small towel, but not this one. ---------->
UwpMxTD.jpg

You forgot bug spray. Granted every club is different but this time of year the damned bugs come out in force, and all it takes is a lack of wind or something to get eaten alive. Even if you don't use it on a regular basis, you at least want it in your car or range bag.

-Mike

These are some very good suggestions guys, thanks. I'll add a folding chair, pair of work gloves, bug spray (which I had considered bringing) and some snack/protein-type bars (which I usually bring to CMP matches), and a small towel to keep the sweat out of my contact lenses.

My outlook going in is like those commercial truck driver stickers, "Safety is my goal" or whatever they say. Just trying to emphasize being safe and absorbing/learning as much as I can which having some fun along the way. Just want to be helpful and see how much I might like it all.

My current club doesn't have action pits or allow drawing/moving so I was hoping this could be a way to try those things.

These are some very good suggestions guys, thanks. I'll add a folding chair, pair of work gloves, bug spray (which I had considered bringing) and some snack/protein-type bars (which I usually bring to CMP matches), and a small towel to keep the sweat out of my contact lenses.

My outlook going in is like those commercial truck driver stickers, "Safety is my goal" or whatever they say. Just trying to emphasize being safe and absorbing/learning as much as I can which having some fun along the way. Just want to be helpful and see how much I might like it all.

My current club doesn't have action pits or allow drawing/moving so I was hoping this could be a way to try those things.

If you get addicted to this at all your current club is quickly going to become the "former club" because you won't be able to go to the range with your hands tied behind your back anymore.... lol... I digress, though. [laugh]

-Mike

If you get addicted to this at all your current club is quickly going to become the "former club" because you won't be able to go to the range with your hands tied behind your back anymore.... lol... I digress, though. [laugh]

-Mike
Yeah, I sent an application to a club that does do it back in March, waiting to hear back.

Double your water preparation and bug spray. Most bugs are just annoying, but a Lyme infected tick will change you in ways you just can't imagine. Better to not go down that road, ever.

In case of showers, I keep a rain jacket made by Froggtoggs with me. It is light weight, compact, lots of venting, good movement as it's not to tight, and fairly reasonably priced. I think I payed $25 at Wally and has paid for itself many times over.

As the summer season heats up, one of those cooling towels work quite well.

Double your water preparation and bug spray. Most bugs are just annoying, but a Lyme infected tick will change you in ways you just can't imagine. Better to not go down that road, ever.

In case of showers, I keep a rain jacket made by Froggtoggs with me. It is light weight, compact, lots of venting, good movement as it's not to tight, and fairly reasonably priced. I think I payed $25 at Wally and has paid for itself many times over.

As the summer season heats up, one of those cooling towels work quite well.

I’m looking for a decent rain jacket for shooting. I’m shooting the aiming for zero match at Sig on Saturday and it looks like I’ll be getting drenched.
Is this the one you have?
https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Ultra-Jacket-Khaki/dp/B00CKCZOZC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526435930&sr=8-4&keywords=frogg+toggs+jacket&th=1&psc=1

All good suggestions, I just did my first USPSA match last month too.
Just pay attention to anything that could DQ you....in other words take your time and be safe
if the RO's know this is your first time they will be very helpful (at least they were in Hopkinton and at Wallum last weekend)

Last edited:
Go to this site to find more matches to go to! Matches

Next weekend Monson is having a match, so if you decide not to go this weekend due to rain I recommend heading out to Springfield.

I'll make sure to grab lots of water, and take it slow and follow directions. Are matches more or less standardized across locations, meaning how they're run (versus the actual layout of the course)?
Go to this site to find more matches to go to! Matches

Next weekend Monson is having a match, so if you decide not to go this weekend due to rain I recommend heading out to Springfield.
Unfortunately, although I had my interview in Chelsea my non-res LTC is c. 2-4 months away so I'm relegated to NH for now, a side effect of having moved.

I’m looking for a decent rain jacket for shooting. I’m shooting the aiming for zero match at Sig on Saturday and it looks like I’ll be getting drenched.
Is this the one you have?
https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Ultra-Jacket-Khaki/dp/B00CKCZOZC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526435930&sr=8-4&keywords=frogg+toggs+jacket&th=1&psc=1

I use this one, which might be the same as the one you mentioned, but can't really tell. The one I use appears to be a little thicker but I could be wrong. It folds up well. The dollar bill (six inches)is for visual reference.

I found it in the camping section of Walmart. Jacket only, the pants are separate.
wjjUr8W.jpg

zRD0xDe.jpg

FDIhNJf.jpg

eNyk7Sl.jpg

Are matches more or less standardized across locations, meaning how they're run (versus the actual layout of the course)?
That's the whole point of having a national organization and standardized set of rules.

That's the whole point of having a national organization and standardized set of rules.
Well that's good. My experience with overarching organizations (not USPSA, of course) has been that there is often still significant variation at the local level.

Is there a sort of competitor number or ID number like USPA? I have heard of practiscore and signed up for an account, but couldn't seem to find anything related to finding/signing up for matches there.

Local matches are generally "show up and sign up". It's the big ones like Area Championships and Nationals with pre-registration.

You should sign up for a membership at www.uspsa.org, which will get you a USPSA member number. This also gives you access to the classification system, and your rating will show up on www.uspsa.org.

Last edited:
Local matches are generally "show up and sign up". It's the big ones like Area Championships and Nationals with pre-registration.

You should sign up for a membership at www.uspsa.org. This also gives you access to the classification system, and your rating will show up on www.uspsa.org.
Unless I really dislike it, for some reason, I plan to do so. I'm quite excited, and quite nervous.

Well that's good. My experience with overarching organizations (not USPSA, of course) has been that there is often still significant variation at the local level.

Officiation at USPSA matches tends to be pretty consistent. Range commands are defined in the USPSA rules. In my experience, range commands are consistent from match to match and RO to RO.

IDPA had rules that required interpretation under time pressure by the safety officer, which resulted in many officiating inconsistencies. I haven't seen the same thing in USPSA.

Some clubs may use Practiscore for match registration. Some may sign up on the spot. Either works and the difference is not an issue.

If you're going to bring a folding chair, I'd get a golf umbrella and clip-on holder for it. I attached one to my 3-gun cart (stroller) and it's been very useful.

Hop onto Practiscore | PractiScore where you can register for the event and pick a squad, if you haven't already. There's no payment, so you can pay at the event (and decide based on the weather).

Also, on practiscore, for this event, they will have the layout for the (five, I think) stages. Good thing to review before hand, so you have an idea of what you'll do.

Big thing at CRGC is to not point the gun above the berm, so be careful not to do high ready position. I had some training at Sig Sauer to do that for reloads - makes perfect sense, but at CRGC they are very conscious about not doing things that would upset the "neighbors". Just tell them this is your first event and they will be great about helping you through all the steps and rules.

Your list sounds fine and folks have added some other ideas. Bring extra $$ as sometimes they have a cookout and food for purchase. They'll have bottled water there. If you have electronic ear protection, bring extra batteries, just in case. Umbrella too, just in case.

I plan on going too, so you can PM me, if you have any questions. I'm pretty new too (only been shooting for 2 years and have only done a half dozen events), but have the rules down.

It's a great club and really nice people at the event. Very helpful and laid back.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom