First turkey!

I've only recently gotten into hunting. I didn't grow up in an outdoorsy family and have had to learn everything on my own in my early 30s. I got a turkey permit in the spring, but work kept me out of the woods all season.

This morning, I was sitting in the woods with my decoys set out, hoping to jump a flock of 20+ hens I saw roost last night. When the birds came down, they didn't come anywhere near my gun. I called a little, but they weren't interested. I sat there for another hour or so, just enjoying being in the woods, and was thinking about packing up. I was watching a squirrel jump around in a tree when I noticed 3 gobblers about 40 yards away, silently picking their way through the trees. I hit them with a couple calls and they noticed my decoys. They came RUNNING into my decoys, 15 yards in front of me. I had all I could do to keep from giggling. My heart was pounding out of my chest. I slowly brought the gun to my shoulder and gave one of those boys a real headache. His buddies hung around for 5-8 minutes, kicking the crap out him every time he flapped his wings as he was dying. They still had no idea I was there. I got my phone out of my vest and filmed them beating him up and gobbling at him. If it was the spring, I would have had 2 gobblers in the back of my truck, easy.

My first turkey weighed in at 18.5 pounds with 5/8" spurs and an 8" beard. What a great day.

photostream

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job, you weren't in Oxford were you. 2 of my guys outside having a smoke behind the building got pelted with shot at 6.30 am this morning. No injuries but they have been crying about it all day.

Back
Top Bottom