• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First trip to the range with my AR no so good - FTF ***UPDATE***

With the weather being halfway decent today I was finally able to make to the range and test my new AR-15. I wish I could say that this was a positive experience. The darn thing experienced FTF every other round. I would fire one round fine but the next round would either not feed at all or feed half way jamming the bolt. I figured the rifle was probably running dry so I lubed the heck out of it and that seemed to helped a bit but I still had FTF every so often. One thing I noticed is that the FTF's stopped once there were only 15-16 rounds left in the 30-round mag. Maybe I need to replace springs and followers.

This is a brand new rifle so it needs to be broken in. I used Wolf ammo this morning and I now realize that it may not be the best choice for the break-in period as it tends to be somewhat underpowered. Not to mention that the cases are steel. I am hoping that if I get some decent ammo I won't have these problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions that may help.

Last edited:
Make sure the mag is seated properly (I find it doesn't always seat properly if the bolt is closed). Is it a new mag or well used? If you have another mag compare the two.

Was the AR new or used? Check everything make sure it is in good working order. Check the gas rings spacing, they should be spaced eqaully around the bolt.

This is a used lower (pre-ban) and a brand new upper. The mags I have are all used (pre-ban) from various manufacturers. I experienced FTF with all four mags I brought to the range with me. Some of the magazines have Magpul followers.

I'd say it is the wolf ammo after about 15 shots the chamber and barrel get hot and the steele wolf cases get stuck in the chamber. I've had the same issue with wolf ammo.

Change the ammo and use the same mags and see what happens.

Fred

I'd say it is the wolf ammo after about 15 shots the chamber and barrel get hot and the steele wolf cases get stuck in the chamber. I've had the same issue with wolf ammo.

Fred

+1

Clean the livin' crap out of the chamber too.

+2 to that. Those lacquered steel cases can seize up your AR and will gum up your bolt - nasty shit. Wolf, though I know many people that use it in their AR's, is just too dirty for me. If you want to maximize reliablity, use quality parts, keep your rifle maintained, and run quality ammo.

What type of upper are you running? What brand mags? I'd do a once over on the mags, check for any damage to the body/weak springs and replace any non anti-tilt followers.

If it's a pre ban lower, I would also check the recoil spring and buffer. I had the exact same problem on my M4 with the rounds not loading properly. When I took apart the lower the person who owned it before me had installed a well used A2 spring instead of one for an M4. Once I changed the spring for a new one, the rifle started to feed rounds properly.

If it was happening on just one or two of you four mags, I would say it could be the mags. I doubt that you'd have the same problem on all four mags at the same time though. Sounds more like a rifle issue.

If it works with military ammo but not with wolf it's gonna be the gas system. Check the following:

1. Make sure the gas key is properly seated to the bolt. Clean it out with a pipe cleaner.
2. Make sure the gas tube is clear. Clean it out as well.
3. Check the gas ring spacing.

If all else fails i'd replace the gas tube and gas key. Should run you less than $20 in parts. Being that it's new it could be a defect or something blocked up in there. You may want to have it checked out by whomever you bought it from.

Also is it ejecting the previous round properly?

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

If it's a pre ban lower, I would also check the recoil spring and buffer.

I have already replaced the recoil spring an buffer when I installed the retractable butt stock.

What kind of upper?

It is a Bushmaster.

What kind of upper?
Go buy some Winchester White Box, or some good Milsurp 5.56 and give it another whirl....

I've got some Remington 55 grains ammo I am going to try next time I go to the range.

Also is it ejecting the previous round properly?

Yes it is.

Fred

what he said, and

MAKE SURE THE CHAMBER IS CLEAN

sorry for shouting [wink]

wolf hasnt made the lacquer ammo in years and my ar's have seen tens of thousands of rounds of steel with no problems

I'd shot a couple boxes of non-lacquered steel case Wolf while "breaking in" (yeah, I agree that breakin is BS) my White Oak upper, and it FTFed like a SOB. Tried changing magazines, but the bolt would periodically just ride over the top of the cases. When I switched to remanufactured LC brass, the problem cleared right up.

My only FTF problems now are with the last round jamming in above the feed ramp, always only with the last round out of the magazine. I'm pretty confident that new springs & followers for my 40+ year old surplus mags will improve that.

gas ring spacing is bogus. It will run with only one gas ring. If it makes you feel better then by all means, but it is a myth.

there is no need to clean the gas tube. you should never put anything down there that could obstruct it.

it sounds like a timing issue. Are you running an accu-wedge? those will create the senario you describe. It is possible that you are either under buffered or have an under powered buffer spring or if the mags are older, that they have under powered springs. Try a new mag that you know works in another gun. Did it work before you changes stocks and buffer / spring? you may want to switch back to see.

Last question - what stock are you running on your lower and what kind of upper, (beyond Bushmaster) - M4? Full sized?

The upper is a Bushmaster 14.5 inch M4 with RRA bolt group. I am not sure who made the stock. It is a retractable M4 style stock (Link to the part)

it sounds like a timing issue. Are you running an accu-wedge? those will create the scenario you describe.

Indeed, I use an accu-wedge. I was advised to get one because there was a bit of a wobble between the upper and lower receivers.

I will remove it next time I am at the range and see if it makes a difference.

I've been running 55gr Federal through my new AR and have had not a single FTF. I am running an accu-wedge, though I shaved a bit off of it so it wasn't so damn tight.

I had a very similar situation with my 6.8 upper from Bushmaster, after I called them the smith there suggested there may be a gas leak around the carrier key. I removed it, cleaned the mating surfaces retorqued and staked it and now it works perfectly. Not saying this is what is wrong with yours but it's another thing to look at if all else fails. With mine I had tried all the other suggestions and nothing worked. Call Bushmaster if you can't figure it out, they will help you.

Good luck

Last edited:
Try better ammo

I am pretty sure the Wolf ammo is the problem. I had the same issue during the break in period when using Wolf ammo. It would FTF every other round. I thought it was the magazine, and springs. But decided to try out some other ammo before doing anything drastic. I tried some Federal ammo, and the feeding problems went away. After the break in period Wolf should work fine. Mine will eat it up. Not all ARs have problems with Wolf but many do in the beginning period.

Wolf no longer use lacquer on the steel cases, it is now a polymer coat which does not melt. So that is no longer the problem. The issue with WOLF ammo is that it is very underpowered, so it can cause feeding problems in new guns.

Last edited:
Same problem too

Took new Bushmaster to range for buddy. Same exact thing FTF each alternate round w/four different mags.

Dissipator-style upper with A2 lower, which was swapped at store for M-4 4 position collapsible stock. I was thinking the easiest way to troubleshoot might be to put the upper onto an A2 stocked lower and try then. Then I'll figure the wrong spring/spacer are in the M-4 stock?
[thinking]

I am pretty sure the Wolf ammo is the problem.

You are absolutely correct [grin]. I bought some Remington ammo and took it to the range this morning. I shot 3 full mags with not a single FTF. For test purposes I switched back to Wolf and immediately started to experience FTF every other round. I guess I will have to feed my AR the "good" stuff for a wile and then see if it starts to tolerate Wolf.

Thanks to all those who chimed in on this thread.

I still think you should check out (or replace) the gas tube & gas key. Then try feeding it wolf and I bet you it'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom