First trip to a gunsmith for a re assembly..... update......i had to fix it myself.

whacko

NES Member
Took my sons ruger 44 carbine down for full cleaning last night. That's not a user-friendly rifle to disassemble to get to the gas tube and bolt assembly. You tube is asweome.....unless of course you remove the wrong pin. šŸ˜‚ I popped out the pin that the trigger pivots on instead of the pin that holds the trigger group in. The second that pin came put I knew it was the wrong one because the trigger dropped free and I heard a pop. Shit. Spent half hour looking at a schematic I downloaded and couldn't figure it out. Oh well. Rifles perfectly clean but ill be taking a drive with the trigger assembly in a box to the local shop today to pay a Smith to put it back together.

I'd part out a gun before admit I couldn't reassmble it to a gunsmith. I have considered it too with a cz pcr and ruger mark 2.
Not parting this one out lol. My son's wanted one for years and finally found a good one. I'll have my tail between my legs dropping it off.šŸ˜‚

Texted my son last night to tell him I cleaned it for him.....and what happened with the pin.....his only response was "ugh" šŸ˜–

Sounds kind of strange but when I disassemble things, when I know things are going to shoot out of it ..,Springs/pins whatever....I usually put it inside of like a trash bag so when it all pops apart, im not spending hours looking around for parts...To me thatā€™s gunsmithing ...Itā€™s a little different when its in the woods itā€™s anyoneā€™s guess were somethings going to fly

I had a couple of these a while back and I can attest to a difficult reassembly. Was definitely a head scratcher but got mine together. Bonus was they both worked properly afterwards. I would NEVER bring my firearm in for gunsmith reassembly...lol. I would sit on a box of parts until I could figure it out. Thankfully I have never had that situate.....well, once I did. With an old Iver Johnson 32 top break. Got it free so it was no loss. Still sitting somewhere in a tub of parts...lol

Sounds kind of strange but when I disassemble things, when I know things are going to shoot out of it ..,Springs/pins whatever....I usually put it inside of like a trash bag so when it all pops apart, im not spending hours looking around for parts...To me thatā€™s gunsmithing ...Itā€™s a little different when its in the woods itā€™s anyoneā€™s guess were somethings going to fly
Yeah that's usually my routine. This one was different. Was expecting the whole assembly to drop out....pulled the wrong pin.

Iā€™m with the I couldnā€™t bring myself to dropping it off camp.
My self pride wouldnā€™t allow it.
Yeah I hear ya. Problem is it's my kids gun not mine. If I break something parts are impossible to find for this model So I'm gonna take it In to a Smith. If it were mine I'd tinker more.

I had a couple of these a while back and I can attest to a difficult reassembly. Was definitely a head scratcher but got mine together. Bonus was they both worked properly afterwards. I would NEVER bring my firearm in for gunsmith reassembly...lol. I would sit on a box of parts until I could figure it out. Thankfully I have never had that situate.....well, once I did. With an old Iver Johnson 32 top break. Got it free so it was no loss. Still sitting somewhere in a tub of parts...lol
These are truly not user friendly to disassemble. But you really have to take them down to clean the gas block. Nice shooting rifle though glad he scored one.

I would buy a .40 before I have to ask a gun smith to reassemble my gun and post it on NES.

Triggers are not that complicated, they look complicated, but they are all very similar and don't have that many parts. Find a good youtube video and do it yourself, you will learn a lot.

Diagrams s*ck. I hate diagrams, although I have used them, I prefer a video and staring at it for a few minutes to see how all the parts interact.

I have never had one, but always thought they were beefed up 10/22ā€™s. Any chance any of 10/22 trigger videos might help?
Not even close. The 44 carbine is a gas operated semi auto and the 10 22 is blowback. 44 carbine Has a gas block and a recoil spring around the mag tube (it uses a fixed tube mag not detachable mags) with a bolt release similar to a remy 1100 shotgun.....the bolt release lever is also part of the trigger group. They have the same basic look and feel but are quite different.

Not strange at all. I've disassembled my S&W 642 a couple of times for spring replacement. Every time it's gone into a large clear storage bag just in case. As I pointed out in another thread, I SHOULD have done that with my AR lower when I replaced the rear sling mount. I now have an extra buffer tube detent pin because I found the one that I launched into orbit AFTER I bought a new one and installed it.

OP, those are supposed to be nice guns. If the trigger assembly is a scaled up version of what's in the 10/22, there are plenty of videos on how to reassemble those. I took my 10/22 trigger group apart years ago to install some shims. It was a PITA to get back together because of all of the little bits.

The ā€œfirtā€ thing to remember In reassembly is to use all the parts!šŸ¤£

When we were kids, the next door neighbor kid decided to take apart a clock. And then he reassembled it. Had 2 or 3 parts left over that he couldn't figure out.

It was great. It would run forward holding perfect time for a while. Then it would run backwards.

You really don't want that with a gun. "Sure, it kills badguys 6 out of 10 times. And the other 4 it turns around and shoots you!" LOL

I,ve found that when you reach the point of frustration with reassembly/new parts it's helpful to put it away for a day and then revisit it with a fresh out look. I would put the Ruger down for a day, watch some u tube, look at the schematics over coffee and then revisit it before sending it of to a gunsmith. Because it,s going to have to get cleaned again in the future and the second time of disassembly re assembly will be no biggy cause you,ve already figured it out. This may be the opertunity you we,ren,t looking for to improve the trigger :)

I,ve found that when you reach the point of frustration with reassembly/new parts it's helpful to put it away for a day and then revisit it with a fresh out look. I would put the Ruger down for a day, watch some u tube, look at the schematics over coffee and then revisit it before sending it of to a gunsmith. Because it,s going to have to get cleaned again in the future and the second time of disassembly re assembly will be no biggy cause you,ve already figured it out. This may be the opertunity you we,ren,t looking for to improve the trigger :)
The difference here is that I didn't need to take this pin out to clean it. I took this one out by mistake. The trigger assembly drops down with the pin I was supposed to take put. Got it....I can do that in the future. The one I took put by mistake had no business being removed for field stripping. šŸ˜‚

If you have all parts itā€™s gotta go together

keep trying

you will be better for it

This statement makes logical sense, but is not really correct. There are mechanical assemblies which require a special jig or tool to get the parts in place. Sometimes lots of fiddling can still get the job done, and other times you really have to get the special tool.

And some of the mechanisms that are near impossible to assemble are still very easy to disassemble. Just tap out a pin and the whole puzzle falls apart. These booby traps are not common in gunsmithing, but they do exist. I always do some research before I take things apart to make sure I know what i am dealing with.

One example of something that is a bitch to reassemble is the sear depressor in old Colt Gold Cups. This is not something that requires a special tool, but it is something that comes right apart, and then is incredibly fiddly to get back together. And it is a real special surprise for anyone who completely knows how to reassemble a 1911, because an old Gold Cup has two extra parts that aren't in other 1911's. The sear depressor is tiny, and the sear depressor spring is the smallest spring I have seen in a gun. Dissembling these parts when you don't know they are there would be a nasty surprise.

I would buy a .40 before I have to ask a gun smith to reassemble my gun and post it on NES.

Triggers are not that complicated, they look complicated, but they are all very similar and don't have that many parts. Find a good youtube video and do it yourself, you will learn a lot.

Diagrams s*ck. I hate diagrams, although I have used them, I prefer a video and staring at it for a few minutes to see how all the parts interact.
You don't have a origional Ruger 44 magnum rifle do you?

This statement makes logical sense, but is not really correct. There are mechanical assemblies which require a special jig or tool to get the parts in place. Sometimes lots of fiddling can still get the job done, and other times you really have to get the special tool.

And some of the mechanisms that are near impossible to assemble are still very easy to disassemble. Just tap out a pin and the whole puzzle falls apart. These booby traps are not common in gunsmithing, but they do exist. I always do some research before I take things apart to make sure I know what i am dealing with.

One example of something that is a bitch to reassemble is the sear depressor in old Colt Gold Cups. This is not something that requires a special tool, but it is something that comes right apart, and then is incredibly fiddly to get back together. And it is a real special surprise for anyone who completely knows how to reassemble a 1911, because an old Gold Cup has two extra parts that aren't in other 1911's. The sear depressor is tiny, and the sear depressor spring is the smallest spring I have seen in a gun. Dissembling these parts when you don't know they are there would be a nasty surprise.
The video I did watch about taking down the trigger group the guy had to use spring expanders.

I had a mosin with a stuck bolt that I tried to fix every now and then over a 10 year period. I polished the bolt, oiled everything, dissembled, re-assembled...still stuck bolt (I must have had the smoothest "stuck bolt" possible thanks to all the polishing. I was "this" close to admitting defeat to a gunsmith.

One day, on my 19th try, I discovered a stuck casing deep in the chamber. Yes, apparently I shot it a decade ago, got a stuck case, said "oh well, I'll fix it at home" and then forgot about it.

Thank god I didn't have to face a gun smith and admit that the problem was a jammed case I had overlooked for a decade.

You don't have a origional Ruger 44 magnum rifle do you?
Nice rifle for sure. But the field stripping is quite a process. I know I can do it next time.....I'll be sure to take out the correct pin to drop the trigger group. šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Congratulations on finding a Ruger 44 magnum carbine. It took me years to find one of each version offered and yes they are are a pain in the butt, but they do bring home deer nicely. Got my last Maine deer with the manlicher stocked version. I also have a parts rifle for occasions similar to yours, becuse as you said, you can't find many of the 44 carbine parts any longer.

Back
Top Bottom