First timer.

Hi NES,

I am awaiting my approved class A ltc high cap in MA. I have taken my course and have been approved by my local Chief. I have been told that I am actually proficient in handling and firing, yet haven't had the opportunity to shoot many firearms. I am wondering if any advice can be given toward my first purchase once my license arrives. I don't feel that I will carry daily but certainly I intend to when needed. A combination for carrying or for the bedside table would be ideal. Also with my first gun I would like something I can grow into and become more proficient in my shooting. I'm sure these are all bullet points that most look for when starting out but it's a start right? Thanks ahead for any advice available!

Patriots.

First off welcome. Secondly when you say bedside you're bed you mean in your safe that is bedside correct[wink]Thirdly trying to carry as often as possible is our best bet. You say you intend to when needed, if you knew when you would need your CCW then you wouldn't need a CCW.

Shoot often, be safe.

You're about to get flooded with all kinds of first gun ideas. My suggestion, go to one of the ranges that lets you rent guns. Try a few, and see what you like. It's cheaper than buying something you haven't shot, and may not like once you own it.

Hey, congrats on our soon to arrive Class A. Wow,where to start. That is a very open ended question.
What are you proficient at? What have you shot before, and where?
Your choices are open wide at the moment. Give the site a place to start and I am sure you will get plenty of advice.
Start with, what do you like? , revolvers, semi auto, full size, medium size, compact, what type of ammo you have shot before.

My advice don't focus on just one gun ;-)

The way I understand this hobby works is buy a big safe. Then fill safe with as many guns and ammo as possible. Don't think too hard about what goes in or ask too many questions. When the safe is filled buy another placing it next to the first and repeat the prior steps.

What notrucks said in their first post.

Firearm selection is like getting a pair of boots - one size does not fit all, and the same size in different manufacturers has a different feel.

And, acknowledging that you may be a "Natural" ....proficiency comes over time, and lots of practice over that time.

My dad used to say, "You have to go through a case of ammo before you start to get good.

Welcome.

Congrats. Remember to do all that you can to get involved and support our cause.

I would advice you not to get caught up on the "one gun to rule them all" thought train. Guns are like footwear. Some are good for the snow, some are good for hiking, some are good for funerals and weddings, some are good for running. See where I am going with this? Your home defense gun may not be what you can carry concealed on a hot summer day. It may not be what you like to shoot at the range. It may not be what you hunt with. It may not be what you carry on a backpacking trip or in the dead of winter under a long coat.

Just make sure you start somewhere and build on that. There is a lot to it and a lot of fun to be had in the process. The best thing that I think you can do right now is shoot a lot of different guns and see what you like and what you don't like.

One day someone is going to ask you how many guns you have and you are going to say "only about 10 or 15." And, you're going to think you need a lot more for all of the uses you can think of. They're going to think its an arsenal, but you're going to think you've got far less than what you need/want.

Last edited:
welcome, please consider going Green and support pro 2A groups, GOAL, COMM2A and NRA to mention a few. My first purchase was a Ruger SR9C and no buyers remorse. 9MM WAS realitivly cheap to shoot prior to the recent everything shortage but hopefully that will change soon. Good luck and welcome to the forum..

Desert Eagle... I just did a bunch of research, looked at reviews, and made a good first buy. Remember you can buy multiple guns, but the first is always probably the toughest! Figure out what size caliber you want, revolver, semi auto plastic gun, shotgun. Too many choices. Btw my first was a sr9c.

Back
Top Bottom