• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First timer - skeet

Viper22

NES Member
Went out today and shot my first two rounds of skeet. It was very rough, but the skeet director at Springfield Sportsmans Club helped me through the stations and gave lots of advice & tips.

It was very fun, and I'll be going again soon.

My biggest problem was not having the right safety glasses...I had clear ones on, and at some stations couldn't see the clay due to the snow being so bright and having to squint. Does anyone have a preference for what color lenses to get? The skeet director had vermillion lenses, but I also saw people with amber and yellow lenses.

There are several sets of glasses, with intercahngable lenses, so you can try and see what works best for you, when. For most conditons, I use polarrized sunglasses, but if it's lower light, or an odd background, I'll pop a colored lens, generally yellow, into my "real" set.

After you've shot a bit, you'll be better able to pick up the birds, both from "knowing" the path of flight, and also, being more used to the game, you'll be doing more stuff "automatically" and can devote more attention to the bird.

Most important thing - listen to advice, but since there are a lot of individual factors, don't make, make sure that the suggestions work for you.

have fun.

Thanks guys for the advice. I've been looking at Midway for shooting glasses, they have a few sets with extra lenses....I also found a cheaper set of Browning glasses on Amazon, but they only had clear, amber & smoke lenses...not all the colors I'm looking for.

Might just have to bite the bullet and get the good set from Midway

Back
Top Bottom