• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First timer AR build

So yesterday I purchased and assembled my very first stripped lower with a lower parts kit. I'm all pumped up about it since I wasn't sure how difficult it was going to be. Turned out it was fairly simple. Anyways all I need to do now is add the buffer tube/stock and an upper. My question is would it be cheaper to buy a complete upper or is it cheaper to buy the stripped upper and buy the upper parts separately??

I'm just waiting for my barrel to come in and I'll have all the parts for my first build as well!
CAN'T WAIT!
Complete upper will be less $$$ but buying separate parts you'll get exactly what YOU want, not what a manufacturer thinks you want.
Best of luck and post pics!

[cheers]

Build it yourself, you've already done the lower so why not go all in and build the upper yourself?

Complete upper will be less $$$ but buying separate parts you'll get exactly what YOU want, not what a manufacturer thinks you want.
[cheers]

Not quite true, all depends on what "complete" upper he goes with or what upper parts he goes with.

Last edited:
So yesterday I purchased and assembled my very first stripped lower with a lower parts kit. I'm all pumped up about it since I wasn't sure how difficult it was going to be. Turned out it was fairly simple. Anyways all I need to do now is add the buffer tube/stock and an upper. My question is would it be cheaper to buy a complete upper or is it cheaper to buy the stripped upper and buy the upper parts separately??

you'll need at the minimum a barrel wrench, and a vise to build an upper. torque wrench and vise block are optional but recommended.

you'll need at the minimum a barrel wrench, and a vise to build an upper. torque wrench and vise block are optional but recommended.

I did all my builds without torque wrench... Never a problem, but others mileage may vary. Just snug it, then crank it to next hole in barrel nut.

I did all my builds without torque wrench... Never a problem, but others mileage may vary. Just snug it, then crank it to next hole in barrel nut.

i only used one because i already had one. my receiver vise block is the BCG mostly in the upper, wrapped in a bathroom towel, shimmed with wood. 'merica.

I bought a complete upper from Midway for $484.....it was a Del ton 16" A3.

Total impulse buy, but I can't wait to get my Spikes lower and LPK and get to work now!

Congrats on your build. Just completed by first one last week and now working on my second.

All I needed was an AR wrench. I had it in such a way that I placed the upper on the floor with the AR wrench angled towards the floor. All I had to do was push down and it tightened everything up. Not exactly the best way to do it but it worked without any issues. Put about 400 rounds through it without any issues.

that's like putting kia rims on an infinti.

the price was right at least, complete with BCG etc.?

Delton that bad? I just gave a friend of mine the go ahead on the purchase of one. (Myself, being a snob, only purchase tier 1 AR equip) I just did a quick search and came up with pretty positive stuff...?

del-ton is generally accepted as being bottom-tier when it comes to AR stuff.

have i used their stuff? yeah.

does it really matter? well, is it broken or out of spec when you get it? if not? no, it doesn't really matter.

Whether or not you purchase a complete upper or build it yourself, the cost/expense is still going to come down to the quality and manufacturer.

The cost of the tools is negligible (if you need a torque wrench, AutoZone has a free loaner), and oftentimes there are other NES'ers that will loan you there's and/or assist you in assembling it.

One thing you might want to consider is if you plan on adding a muzzle brake or not.

I haven't shopped around in ages, but I'm guessing the number of vendors out there that off a wide range of AWB compliant uppers is limited.

Once the muzzle device is pinned/welded/silver soldered on there, you're stuck (unless you want to pay the cost of having it removed and a new one permanently attached), with the vendors offering of the sight base/gas block and rail system/free float tube.

If you really want to get it right the first time and to your liking, you might be better off with building it yourself.

I have not heard any bad stuff about Del ton either.

If it shoots straight and often, I am going to be happy

I'm thinking of building my first AR-15, too. So you guys would recommend a Spike's lower?

I have a Spike's Punisher lower myself, and while the quality is excellent, I will tell you that most commercially available lowers are mil-spec, and of good quality, so it really comes down to what you can get the best price on, availability, and what roll mark you like best. I at first liked the Spike's standard logo, which is supposed to be like a spider, or something. I almost bought one, and then someone pointed out that the logo looks like a couple of dueling dicks. After looking at it, and seeing that image, I could never look at it the same way again, so I went with the Punisher version instead.

I at first liked the Spike's standard logo, which is supposed to be like a spider, or something. I almost bought one, and then someone pointed out that the logo looks like a couple of dueling dicks.

Thanks for pointing that out. [thinking] After a couple of attempts I finally saw it. But I still like it and I'm keeping my Spike's ST 15. And...it could be construed as something else. Just sayin'.

Thanks for pointing that out. [thinking] After a couple of attempts I finally saw it. But I still like it and I'm keeping my Spike's ST 15. And...it could be construed as something else. Just sayin'.

Sorry about that! I never noticed it either as I said until someone else pointed it out. It is still an excellent choice though.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom