• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

first time shooting trap

I went to the club this morning and was watching them shoot trap. One of the guys let me use is shotgun to try it. It was my first time ever shooting a shotgun, and I did very poorly, but will be buying a shotgun and going again.

Good for you. Still on my to do list...I belong to an inside range. Never really got around to joining an outdoor that has trap.

Good job! I actually shot my first few rounds of trap over a month ago down at the club in Orange. I haven't been back yet due to some outside issues, but I can tell you right now, it is definitely addicting. I was hooked the moment I burst my first clay. I haven't found anything yet that beats a great round of Trapshooting. Excellent group of shooters as well!

I've found trap to be one of my favorite things to do at the range, it's fun to blow something out of the air.

I started in November. Same thing... a friend at the range "tempted" me. I've been hooked every since.

Moving targets are a different challenge for sure!

Bought my first shot gun, mossberg 500 combo barrel, back in march and have been shooting trap/skeet weekly! It's such a good time, and stress reliever!! My advice, start off with an in expensive shot gun, make sure it's something your gonna stick with. Talk to others to narrow down what you like.

Im consistently hitting 18-20.. Still haven't broken the 20 mark yet! Its addicting! Walmart has the best price on shot rounds.. About 23.00 for 100 Winchester AA #8 shot rounds!

Have fun!!

I started shooting trap a few weeks ago, just shot for the 3rd time today. I've been using a Mossberg 500 20g that I won in the GOAL lucky 20 raffle last year (I got a new buttstock for it since it was actually a youth model).

I've been doing fairly decent I think, I shot a 19 and 17 today (out of 25). I shot 4/25 the first time.

I've been reading some articles and various forums about trap shooting, and the consensus seems to be that the proper technique is to keep both eyes open, focus on the target and 'point' the shotgun rather than 'aim' it.... does anyone here have any insight on that? I suppose I have been 'aiming' the gun, I've been lining up the two bead sights on the barrel with respect to the clay, I don't close my left eye but I focus so I still basically aim with one eye I think. I'll have to ask someone there about it next time I go.

Last edited:
I basically " point"... I only have the bead at the very end of the barrel. I find it easier to find the target with both eyes, the close one and get it closer. I've read that if the clay is rising.. You want the barrel just below it.. So it looks like the clay sitting on the bead.. If its falling.. Your going to need more than lead time.. So keep the bead a couple inches lower than the clay.. I also find the longer you wait, the harder they are to hit.

My 2 cents..

Before you buy....try a bunch of different guns - fit is important "No fit, no hit," is the watchword.

The fit is both physical and mental.

Let the Trapezoids know that you're interested, and it's likely that there will be plenty of offers of "Try mine," and suggestions as to what's the perfect gun.

Most wiill be mutually exclusive, but many will be right, as it's very subjective.

Glad you enjoy the Orange Kool-aid!

[laugh]

At to technique...here are a few pointers - it's better in person, but:

Wood on wood: keep your head down on the stiock. Remember that your eye is the rear sight. If you lift your head, you'll "raise the rear sight" and shoot high.
Don't dance: Postition your feet so you're comfortable, and keep them in one position until "change" is called.
Use the bead (s) to get aligned with the gun, then put your attention ot a the house. Look at the bird, not the bead. You're shooting the bird, not the bead.
Don't wait too long - break the bird before it starts to fall.
Follow through: if you miss, follow the target to the ground. When you break it, follow a piece to the ground. Follow through is important.
Don't count your score. The only bird that matters is the one that you just called for. The scorer will keep track.

Simple, isn't it?

[laugh]

Last edited:
What I do, is when I line up my shotgun, I do a quick visual check on the beads, seeing that they are lined up and then FORGET about them. If you keep a good cheek weld, focus only on the target, make a smooth swing while following through the target, as your pulling the trigger you'll do fine.

The biggest mistake that newer shooters make is stopping the gun while they pull the trigger. A guy once told me, "don't shoot the targets, sweep them out" with shot. This makes more sense on Stations 1 and 5 with hard lefts/rights.

2. Pattern your shotgun. Find out where it is shooting while you hold it.

Another thing to work on is the mount. Practice mouting the shotgun a LOT at home (safety checks first). After a few hundred times you won't even have to check on the beads, cuz you know where they will be at.

And before running out to buy that Perazzi, try many shotguns. Hang out, shoot trap, and ask to borrow guns once you've become known. You'll find the right one (for right now). Most guys are more than generous. We're all addicts and are going broke, and we don't want to do it alone.

ETA Mr Happy beat me to the pertinent points. Damn he's fast lol

Trap is without question my favorite shooting activity. And just like all the others, it's a steep, slippery slope toward poverty.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I see it becoming very addicting. I am fortunate to have many friends with shotguns I can try to see what I like. Right now I am leaning towards a simple over/under break open setup. I am not a hunter and will only be using this for trap.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I see it becoming very addicting. I am fortunate to have many friends with shotguns I can try to see what I like. Right now I am leaning towards a simple over/under break open setup. I am not a hunter and will only be using this for trap.

I have a semi-auto, I like it, but there is something about the sound a pump shotgun makes that is bad ass...as said above, whatever you're comfortable with

I've been shooting trap for 2 years now, I'm on one of my clubs trap team. You do NOT need an expensive gun to score well, I've had two 25's since I started. The first one was with a cheap Winchester pump that I paid $200 for and the second one was with an expensive BT-99. You could play a round of golf with Tiger Woods' golf clubs and it doesn't mean you'll play well, buy a trap gun that you can comfortably afford without breaking your bank account....

my kid went 125 strainght (yes, I know I'm bragging [laugh]) with his late grandfather's Winchester 1400. He was 12.

As someone said, "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

SHoot what ya got....when you get better, then you'll know what you want. When one bird of 100 makes a real difference....then, go for the uber-specialized trapgun.

If anyone is looking for retro Trap gear - there's a Winchester Model 12 Trap gun at Four Seasons (saw it when I was there the other day) for about $950, IIRC

I have been shooting Trap for a few years now. I started out using an old Winchester pump. After a couple of years, I purchased a nice over & under Browning. Start out shooting whatever shotgun that you can afford. It is like owning an old car and a new car...they both get you to where you are going, but one is nicer to drive. I can shoot well with either gun, but the Browning is better balanced and lighter. Good luck with your Trap shooting, but be careful...it is addicting!

And if you only go once you've got a nice reliable home protection gun..

Ive put at least 1k rounds through mine without a single issue.. No complaints here!

- - - Updated - - -

This is something I am looking forward to trying. Money is a bit tight but that Mossberg combo deal is only 300 so very very tempting.

And if you only go once you've got a nice reliable home protection gun..

Ive put at least 1k rounds through mine without a single issue.. No complaints here!

Final edit*. Lol

Back
Top Bottom