First Time Shooters - What to bring to the range?

I am a range safety officer and instructor. As an RSO, I get to see a lot of members bring new shooters to the range, and I wrote a long article to help avoid common pitfalls. The article is here:

Straight Shooter Jake: Complete Article: Bringing New Shooters to the Range

Regarding your specific question about what guns to bring, you should definitely start with a .22. Beyond that, if you have other firearms that are easy to shoot, and not too powerful, then it is fine to bring them, but keep them in their cases until everyone is comfortable with the .22.

One important part about working with beginners is making adjustments in your teaching plan based on how the day goes. Some people are ready to move past the .22 in an hour or two, and other people take much longer to get comfortable. It is your job to make sure that everyone has a fun day that is a bit challenging, but not overwhelming.

1st time my girlfriend ever shot we went 15-22, followed by AR in 5.56, followed by one in 7.62 (.308)...

She loved the 5.56 and got a good 10 rounds out of the AR10 even before the recoil made her give up.. did some pistols too - similarly went .22, 9mm, then .40 all in exposed hammer DA/SA pistols.

Next trip we did shotguns, 20 then 12 :)...

Nice thing about doing it that way is she had similar controls and experienced 3 calibers. Plus the AR10 teaches form, lots of people get away with crap form for years with low recoil rifles. Good for the inexperienced to feel some recoil early in the game I think.

I'm with buckfarack and appraiser. I've done this a couple of times. I start with a .22 revolver so they can see exactly how it all works, then load a .22 semi with a single round, then three rounds, then five rounds as they become comfortable. When they're comfortable with the .22's, we move to a .38 long barreled revolver, and then a couple of glocks with and without red-dots. Somewhere along the way, we generally play with a 10/22 also and possibly a 9mm carbine depending upon time.

We start on a pin range using paper targets, because it's pretty structured, and it's only 31 feet. Then set up pins because they're reactive and fun. When I think they're comfortable, we move to a plate rack. Again - because it's reactive and fun. It's also faster to set up.

I bring ear pro, I tell them to bring eye pro. The times I've instructed kids, I've told their parents that one of the parents must be present at all times.

They’re teenagers, a .22 to start for sure but you know if you have something bigger, they’ll want to try it. An AR isn’t a bad idea at all. A dialed in optic gives them some serious satisfaction and can help mitigate lack of skillset. Blasting clay pigeons at 100 yards is what got my wife hooked. If your club allows it, bring a case of them. Destroying/exploding orange clays is bound to be fun for teenage boys. 10/22 to build confidence and some fundamentals, but .223 gets there quicker, makes a bigger bang, and pops those pesky clays much better, all without serious recoil. Alternatively, a PCC at closer ranges can serve the same role. Low recoil, bigger bang, more fun. If they’re “older” teenagers, 16+? definitely have a shotgun to finish out the day. It’s bragging rights for them, even if it’s only target loads.

As the OP said, they’re teenage boys, remember your audience. Only having a .22 is going to be dull. Shock and awe to get ‘em hooked and excited. If and when they’re interested enough to want to learn, then start on fundamentals and iron sights.
You go to the airshow to see the jets and if you want to learn to fly, you start in the Cessna. It’s the jets that get you hooked though.
Show them the jets.

Last edited:
Do they want to learn about gunz?
or
Do they want to shoot?

I liked to teach by having one of each, time on each can be moments, minutes or a box of .22. I brought 9mm for the pistol if they wanted to try. I had it down to where all these could fit in one bag and two cases. It was great living out west where you could go shooting on a whim. Give them what they want, safely and you are sure to get them back one day to the range. Best of luck.

Single Action Revolver
Double Actoin Revolver
Semi Auto Pistol
Lever Action Rifle
Bolt Action Rifle
Semi Auto Rifle
.410 Shot Gun

I have taken literally dozens of people for their first shooting experience. We obviously do not know what you have to bring, but these are my favorites and everyone has a blast.
I usually start with our Henry Golden boy. New shooters get bored fast. Reloading sucks. Everybody LOVES the GB. Everybody shoots it well ( even my wife) and working the lever and handling the rifle is pure joy. And they are just beautiful guns. Lot easier to keep long guns pointed in a safe direction. They really feel like they are really shooting... because they are!
Then, we bust out the S&W 15-22. Now the grins get wide. 25 round mags = big grins.

Now we lock up the long guns...
A couple of mags through a 22 pistol. Stress safety, muzzle and trigger discipline. Then sight picture and trigger press etc.
Finally... we break out the 686 with a 4" barrel. 38 special. Recoil is not an issue and they feel like they are shooting a serious gun. They will eat through as much ammo as you will let them. As we wrap up, if all has gone well, I ask if they want to shoot a few 357 rounds, so they can see what it is like and say that they did. They always do. First trigger pull always gets a "WOW!" Big grin... Only had one guy that didn't shoot the six rounds.. But his 17 year old daughter did! And she went through a box of ammo.

This has been my go to first timer process for years. The shooters talk about it and remember it forever. It only costs a few boxes of center fire ammo and many ask to go again. More than a few go on to peruse their license. They have to have fun, while learning safety, safety, safety.

Thank you all for the great pointers!
I do have some steel targets and clay pigeons. I might even grab some 2L sodas for the finale.

Will let you all know how it goes.

Options are somewhat limited. Plan for long guns, depending on how things progress, will be 22lr -> 5.56 -> 12ga and for handguns, 22lr -> 9mm and maybe bring the .45

Thank you all for the great pointers!
I do have some steel targets and clay pigeons. I might even grab some 2L sodas for the finale.

Will let you all know how it goes.

Options are somewhat limited. Plan for long guns, depending on how things progress, will be 22lr -> 5.56 -> 12ga and for handguns, 22lr -> 9mm and maybe bring the .45

I'd hold off on a 12-gauge unless you're bringing like shorties or No. 8 or 9 low brass birdshot and are going to see how things go first. Honestly, even being a gas operated semi auto, I wouldn't give a total newb my 930 JM Pro with birdshot unless the kid was built like a brick shithouse and could clearly handle the recoil. A .410 would be more appropriate.

Also depends on how big the kids are - a 12 year old probably won't enjoy a 12-gauge for his first time shooting. 17-19 is different but I'd still suggest erring on the side of extreme caution.

You basically want to avoid anything that'll unnerve the kids. A 12-gauge could easily make a kid nervous.

Everybody needs to shoot a 12 gauge first time out

No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everytime a first time shooter has shot my 12 gauge, the smile from ear to ear, and the "that was awesome" response tells me different

Mostly good advice here (other than the M1 12ga [rolleyes])

Reactive targets! Clay, steel, balloons are great. Immediate positive feedback is a great motivator

Mostly good advice here (other than the M1 12ga [rolleyes])

Reactive targets! Clay, steel, balloons are great. Immediate positive feedback is a great motivator
Don't forget the 2 liter soda bottles. "Hickcock45" seems to have a lot of fun with those.

I would say that the most important thing to take to the range with a new shooter is the mindset.

This trip is for them, not you. It is all about making them comfortable and, within safe limits, letting them decide what to do.

I start the trip before we ever get to the range. Make sure that they have eye and ear protection. Make sure you have extra in case what they have isn't adequate. Go over the safety rules. Go over the range rules.

At the range, spend a little time signing in and showing them around. This is the pistol range, that is for trap, here are the rifle ranges... If there are others already shooting watch for how they handle the loud noises. Odds are there will be some sensitivity to the noise, especially rifles. This gives you some idea of how fast you can move up to the more interesting stuff.

If you can set up away from others, do it. Have them help set up targets or steel or both. The walk out to set up the targets gives some idea of just what they are doing. I start out at 25 yards for .22 rifle and 25 feet or so for pistol (farther out if using steel). That is just a starting point. At those ranges they will be able to hit something right out of the gate. I use simple round or bullseye targets. No zombie or bad guy or even forest critter targets. I keep it neutral.

I start with the .22 rifle. Bolt action if you have it. Explain how the parts work. Explain what is a safe rifle. Show them the whole sequence dry. Have them do the sequence dry. Explain that at any time they can stop and ask questions or stop and let you take over, just keep the muzzle pointed down range.

Now we are ready to do it for real. I start with one round in the magazine. I explain that this is what I do the first time I shoot any unfamiliar firearm. Figure out the controls. Run it dry. Run it with one round. Then move up to more. That way if anything happens outside what I expect I know that one bang is all it had in it. , have them do the sequence live. Make sure they make the rifle safe at the end.

After a little time (might even just be a couple of magazines) with the bolt action introduce the semi-auto. Explain the difference. Again, have them run the controls dry, move to live fire with one shot, move to live fire with two or three, then have fun.

On my range we can shoot .22 rifle on the pistol range, so that is where I start. We introduce pistols next. I start with the .22 again. Same idea. Explain the controls and handling. Run through the sequence dry. Try a shot. Try some more.

At this point you have a good idea of how recoil averse they are, how they handle noise, how they handle instruction. I let them know that I have a collection of various firearms they can try and they can choose to try any or all of them. It is up to them.

We usually progress up to 9mm pistols next, the .45 will make an appearance but usually they stick with the 9mm or .22 LR. Some want to spend more time on the rifle. That is fine too.

I also mention that I do have bigger rifles if they want to try them, but we have to move to the other range. All they have to do is say the word. Usually we end up over on the rifle range before too long. Sometimes they just like the pistols and the rifle range is for another day.

On the rifle range, I run steel so we can tell if we hit something. We usually try the .22 again, but out at 50 or 100 yards. Then we move up to .223. If they are comfortable with that and we have time, I will bring out the M1. Again, the progression is all determined by them. Don't bring out the next bigger thing unless you think they can handle it. Don't force it on them. If they want to spend the entire day with the bolt action .22 rifle, let them. Start small, work up.

Read your audience. If they want to try everything and make noise but don't care about hitting the target (within reason), concentrate on letting them experience everything they can. If they are very interested in trying to hit the center of the target with the .22, concentrate on that. If they are uncomfortable and want to cut the trip short, that is Ok too. Remember, it is all about them.

So far, everyone I have taken to the range has wanted to go back with one exception. Years later, that exception is making noises about wanting to go back. Sometimes it takes time.

22 to start, but definitely need something loud for the finale! Even if you only "demonstrate" it at first, nothing beats the fireball of a classic mosin with fixed bayonet! ... and they can learn a bit of history!
I always tell the kids I bring out, I got two rules
#1 Listen to the adult in charge
#2 Have fun

This weekend I will have the privilege of introducing a dad and his two teenage sons to shooting. They have never shot a gun before. I can't wait. However, I am kind of torn about what to bring.

Obviously safety is priority, but of course I want to them to have a fun time too.

What say you, stick to the rifles or should I bring some handguns too? Shotgun?
22 rifle and anything 9mm for a pistol. Baby steps

I tend to agree with those who advise bringing just 22's. Start them easy.

The problem in bringing too many guns and larger calibers is that you just do not know how someone will react their first time out. Some people are better off just shooting 22's at first while others may be ready to go to bigger guns more quickly.

Bring some good 22's, plus a very few larger guns and proceed to the latter IF someone looks like they can handle it.

So my first time shooter trip's 'arsenal':

Pistol, S&W 617 with 6" barrel. Zero recoil, fun as hell to shoot
SR-22 once they have some discipline
Glock 19 if they want to progress
GLock 21 or Sig 1911 if they want to go to that step

Rifle Henry GB with a full tube
10-22 with federal automatch
15-22 to get AR-pattern rifle understood
Actual AR-15 with 55g rounds

Keep a first range trip to under 90 minutes, an hour if you can...it is much more tiring than you'd realize for new shooters.

I think most are turned off by larger rifles because they are not presented to the rifle well.
Prone with a nice big sand bag for support of the front arm.
Sitting them at a bench to shoot puts them in poor position for recoil. Standing is even better than sitting at a bench.
This is a good point. I've found bench resting a shotgun with slugs to sight in for deer season is brutal.....but necessary to get a good solid support for best accuracy. I've never thought of prone to do it. May try that next season.....I already punished myself last weekend getting the guns ready for the season.

22LR pistol with ONE ROUND IN THE MAGAZINE UNTIL YOU ARE SURE OF TRIGGER DICIPLINE, no sweeping, downrange direction, not going over the berm or hitting roof.

This.

I always start out new shooters with a single round at at time until I see how they are. Then two...then three.... etc. Especially with hand guns. I even do this with young shooters if the weapon is new to them.

It is a great way to reinforce safety, round count etc

Bob

Bolt-action .22 rifle. Irons o
This weekend I will have the privilege of introducing a dad and his two teenage sons to shooting. They have never shot a gun before. I can't wait. However, I am kind of torn about what to bring.

Obviously safety is priority, but of course I want to them to have a fun time too.

What say you, stick to the rifles or should I bring some handguns too? Shotgun?
Bolt-action .22 rimfire rifle. Let the young men learn riflecraft the correct way and make each shot count.

I took my mother shooting for the first time in her life. At 74. She shot my SP 101. 357, a Taurus Judge, LC9S and Taurus tracker in 357 6” barrel. Just be confident with them and explain how it might feel. They first bang and they’re going to smile.

As I’m sure was mentioned above, kids love reactive targets and we are all kids at heart.

Clay pigeons, water bottles, balloons, shaving cream cans and the like.

Bob

The new breed of rim fire, low impact, 'tanerite-like' targets have come a long way. They can come in little discs that stick to targets, inside clay pigeons or wherever.

No affiliation but here is one brand.

Welcome to Firebird USA, LLC - Now Available!

Back
Top Bottom