• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First time MA hunter looking for tips and advice!

Hey Everyone!

I am 28 living in Massachusetts on the Northern coast in Zone 10. I do no know anyone that hunts and need a little local guidance.

So I have been working towards going on my first ever hunt, this year (white tail specifically). I am planning on using an inline muzzleloader but other than that I do not really have set plans yet. Everything online seems to always be about the Western US.

I am just hopping for some local advice and guidance on how to go about things.

Is it imperative to use a tree stand? Trying to "Still-Hunt" seems like a better route as I do not have any knowledge of where deer might be and the ability to move seems good.

I know in the hunting community everyone likes to be real hush hush about spots but do spots in zone 10 actually exist because even the little hunting info on MASS exclusively talks about far Western MA? Are there places I should avoid?

Are there any people here that field dress their kills or do most people bring it home/butcher for that?

Any added information is welcome?

Thanks everyone for any replies and or help!

Did you take a hunters ed class ?
You need to field dress it your self in the woods before brining it to a butcher.

Hey Everyone!

I am 28 living in Massachusetts on the Northern coast in Zone 10. I do no know anyone that hunts and need a little local guidance.

So I have been working towards going on my first ever hunt, this year (white tail specifically). I am planning on using an inline muzzleloader but other than that I do not really have set plans yet. Everything online seems to always be about the Western US.

I am just hopping for some local advice and guidance on how to go about things.

Is it imperative to use a tree stand? Trying to "Still-Hunt" seems like a better route as I do not have any knowledge of where deer might be and the ability to move seems good.

I know in the hunting community everyone likes to be real hush hush about spots but do spots in zone 10 actually exist because even the little hunting info on MASS exclusively talks about far Western MA? Are there places I should avoid?

Are there any people here that field dress their kills or do most people bring it home/butcher for that?

Any added information is welcome?

Thanks everyone for any replies and or help!
1. You need to field dress (gut) the deer in the woods. Leave the gut pile in the woods. Definitely take it to a butcher you'll get more yield than butchering it yourself as a rookie.

2. There are public lands available in zone 10. Plenty of wma property close to the Merrimack valley area. Problem is those areas are full of hunters during the gun and muzzie season just be prepared for that.

3. Your best bet is to get into the woods EARLY couple hours before sunrise. Don't load your gun until legal shooting time. The lazy guys that show up at sunup will enter the woods and there is a chance that they will push deer right to your. Look at maps......find a good spot half a mile into the woods from the parking spots.
4. Tree stand is not necessary.....I've never used one and have been fairly successful over the years. If you sit quiet enough "bumped" deer will walk within feet of you once they are pushed by another Hunter.
5. Absolutely your best bet is getting private land owner permission but that's a tough nut to crack in mass.

Do you spend a lot of time in the woods now? If not start doing so. Learn the woods your on. Know where you are 500 ft from a dwelling. Some towns are split by different zones. You need to know all this stuff and it can be a lot for a newbie. Last night I jogged up on this doe. Would have been an easy shot.
20190801_071708.jpg

You can also learn a lot by watching the hunting videos on UTube. Tracking, shot placement, gutting, skinning, butchering and lots more. If you were to ask any of my sons or grandkids they would say: "Go in the woods and shoot the deer". Jack.

Start spending time in the woods near where you plan to hunt. A lot of time. You need to figure out where and when the deer are traveling between their bedding area and where they go to eat.
Then you'll want to place your tree stand (by far the best method) or set up a ground blind near the travel route; near enough to shoot, but not right in the middle of the trail. Deer tend to use the same runs year after year, so if you find a busy well worn run, chances are it will still be in use by hunting season. Of course, the deer's habits will change when they're getting ready to mate, but they'll still tend to stay near their usual runs.
Placing a trail camera on the run will help keep you from wasting your time. I've watched some very active runs only to find out the deer were only using it at night. Nothing more frustrating than sitting on a great looking deer run only to learn that the bucks are only using it in the middle of the night.
So summing up:
1) Findnd a well used deer run.
2) Make sure it's used during hunting hours.
3) Get up in a tree stand.

Last edited:
Most of my deer hunting is done with a small group of guys, during shotgun or ML season, in pretty much the same areas every December. Some folks look down on "driving deer" but it works, and is perfectly safe as long as everyone in the group knows what they're doing. We have good success. We average three or four deer a year. Other large groups of guys take 10+ deer out of the woods every year.

If you'll be going out by yourself, here's a few tips:

Once you're away from the roads/houses, and you're legal to shoot, have the gun at the low ready and loaded. I've missed more than one chance at a deer because I wasn't ready and had the gun slung on my shoulder when I was perfectly legal and capable of sending a round. Deer move real fast once they know you're there.

Move slowly and quietly. Glance down at the ground if you need to avoid stepping on a twig but other than that you need to scan your surroundings and keep a sharp eye out. Depending on the type of woods you'll be hunting, you may have a chance at a deer that's far enough away that it won't see or hear you if you're doing things right, and you can get glass on it. Are you using any optics or just iron sights by the way?

Permethrin, Permethrin, Permethrin. Even on cold days the goddamn ticks are out there. I buy this:
permethrin-insect-repellant-treatment-for-clothing.jpg.png
Spray down your hunting clothes/ gear once a month and you'll be good.

Read up on all the laws, safety rules, and hunting etiquette in general. Countless books have been written about the state of mind and love of the natural world that you must possess to enjoy hunting, even when you get skunked. Some of my most memorable days out in the woods were days that I never saw one game animal.

Lastly, WEAR ORANGE!!!!! ;)

Good luck. If I lived closer to you I'd go along with you some day.

Still hunting is a great way to learn yoyr areas and access the areas for sign as you do it.

Scout as much as you can before the season. Find where they are feeding, bedding, traveling. Put as much of the puzzle together in your head as ypu can.

Trail cams can get you valuable information. If they are only using the area at night but leaving lots of sign that is how you find out.

If you were in an area they were using a lot and now are not you then need to find out where and why they moved. Most times that is because food sources changed.

Hunt the does, the bucks will come

The state has a nice interactive map called the lands viewer which highlights WMAs, found here:
MassWildlife Lands Viewer
It’s a good place to get started looking for spots to hunt, but I’ve found out it’s non exhaustive; don’t be afraid to talk to people about hunting and that you are new. I’ve found that many want to help get some younger people in the game.

I’m no expert and only hunted deer for one season, unsuccessfully. I plan on getting into the woods pretty soon to do some scouting.

Also, don’t overlook woods time spent hunting pheasant or squirrel. Squirrel starts early and can double as deer scouting time. Plus, it’s fun and squirrel are surprisingly tasty.

I say all of the above with the assumption that you have an LTC and have taken a hunter Ed class.

Thanks for all the replies. They were very good and gave me a lot to think about. And yes I do have my LTC and have taken Hunter Ed.

I am good in the woods although I do not know any particular area of MA woods very well.

My girlfriend just got me a turkey gun in wanting me to try my hand at getting wild turkey......we'll see hahaha. So I guess I could just get a different choke and squirrel hunting/deer run looking here i come?!

Thanks for all the replies. They were very good and gave me a lot to think about. And yes I do have my LTC and have taken Hunter Ed.

I am good in the woods although I do not know any particular area of MA woods very well.

My girlfriend just got me a turkey gun in wanting me to try my hand at getting wild turkey......we'll see hahaha. So I guess I could just get a different choke and squirrel hunting/deer run looking here i come?!
A 12 gauge shotgun will cover you for just about all hunting in mass (except for muzzle loader deer season).

Recommend two barrels. A bird barrel (smooth bore) with the standard choke set full, mod, imp cyl. That'll do for birds squirrels rabbit and even duck if you go that route.

A slug barrel either rifles or smooth bore with iron sights for deer.

A slug barrel either rifles or smooth bore with iron sights for deer.
How much do slug barrels help?

My shotgun came with a smooth bore barrel with 3 chokes, so I’ve always just used the IC for slugs. The bead sight is obviously not great for single projectile precision but I think I could hit what I’m aiming at up to reasonable NE woods distances.

I’ve considered a scope for deer season too but I’ve never tried one on a shotgun either.

How much do slug barrels help?

My shotgun came with a smooth bore barrel with 3 chokes, so I’ve always just used the IC for slugs. The bead sight is obviously not great for single projectile precision but I think I could hit what I’m aiming at up to reasonable NE woods distances.

I’ve considered a scope for deer season too but I’ve never tried one on a shotgun either.
Iron sights on a slug barrel help alot. Extends your range from 35 yards to about 75 yards with a smooth barrel. Rifles barrel out to 100 or a bit more.

In the woods you'll probably never shoot over 50 yards anyway.

Iron sights on a slug barrel help alot. Extends your range from 35 yards to about 75 yards with a smooth barrel. Rifles barrel out to 100 or a bit more.

In the woods you'll probably never shoot over 50 yards anyway.
Thanks. Looks like a slug barrel with rifle sights for a Mossberg 930 is $200-$230 based on a cursory google search. That’s a lot of dough for just a barrel so I’ll have to think about it.

For not much more I could buy a used slug gun!

Thanks. Looks like a slug barrel with rifle sights for a Mossberg 930 is $200-$230 based on a cursory google search. That’s a lot of dough for just a barrel so I’ll have to think about it.

Kittery trading Post sells used shotgun barrels for half the price of a new one. I got a Mossberg 500 slug barrel up there for $95 a few years back. Killed two deer with it already. Works good.

I'm getting back into hunting this year after a long break. Did a lot of scouting on onyx. Found the perfect spot so I thought on MWA. Land. Went to set up a stand today. Came across 5 stands in 200 ft.
I guess I'll have to keep looking.

I'm getting back into hunting this year after a long break. Did a lot of scouting on onyx. Found the perfect spot so I thought on MWA. Land. Went to set up a stand today. Came across 5 stands in 200 ft.

You didn't really think you were going to find a spot on wma land that didn't already have hunters stands in it did you? Even if you did .....by the time season starts there will be a stand in sight of yours in every direction.....or once gun season opens you'll have an orange army walking under you all day.

Find private land.

You didn't really think you were going to find a spot on wma land that didn't already have hunters stands in it did you? Even if you did .....by the time season starts there will be a stand in sight of yours in every direction.....or once gun season opens you'll have an orange army walking under you all day.

Find private land.
Honestly I did. But I really didn't know what to expect never hunted mwa land. Wasn't aware that it got that busy. Technically stands aren't supposed to go up until 7 days prior to the season start on Mwa land.

Depends on the WMA. I have a couple of nearby WMAs that get very little pressure. One gets - absolutely ZERO. I've only seen 1 other truck there, once, and that was 4 years ago now.

They exist. But you may have to put on some miles and get out of that little circle around your home...

Honestly I did. But I really didn't know what to expect never hunted mwa land. Wasn't aware that it got that busy. Technically stands aren't supposed to go up until 7 days prior to the season start on Mwa land.
Once you get a few seasons under your belt you'll know which ones to avoid and which ones do not get alot of pressure. Harold Parker state forest is the worst. Hunting is allowed in certain areas of that state park. Being 40 minute drive from Boston burbs and being basically right off route 93......it gets hammered during shotgun season. There will be 30 or more trucks parked on That road opening day of gun season. It's rediculous.

I was looking at Missouri's my fault same initials. All I could find in Massachusetts is that a stand can not be erected for more than 30 days
There are plenty of "permanent" stands on some wmas lol.....some have been out there for years!!!!

If any NH hunters on here need a lackey this season, pm me. Lol! Never field dressed a deer before and youtube and the outdoor channel can only provide so much, lol!!!

If any NH hunters on here need a lackey this season, pm me. Lol! Never field dressed a deer before and youtube and the outdoor channel can only provide so much, lol!!!
Even if you get one solo......just follow a YouTube video and you'll be fine. I was surprised at how easy it actually is.

Once you get a few seasons under your belt you'll know which ones to avoid and which ones do not get alot of pressure. Harold Parker state forest is the worst. Hunting is allowed in certain areas of that state park. Being 40 minute drive from Boston burbs and being basically right off route 93......it gets hammered during shotgun season. There will be 30 or more trucks parked on That road opening day of gun season. It's rediculous.
Yes I picked a more obscure piece of land for that reason. It's not too far for me and I've never heard of it actually until I started looking. Just going to try to find a different spot there. I'm optimistic came across a lot of sign jumped a couple of does

Like Whacko said, a slug barrel makes a lot of difference with the sights but isn’t required. I killed my first deer with a slug fired from a bird barrel.

Keep in mind that there are two types of slug barrels; smooth bore and rifled.

I have a 12G Winchester pump with a smooth bore and hunting have killed a pile of deer with it from 15 yards out to 85 yards. IMO, it is the perfect shotgun for Mass hunting. I really appreciate the lighter weight at the end of the day and most shots are under 40 yards as Whacko said.

Smooth bore barreled shotguns are lighter and the ammo is significantly cheaper than the saboted slugs that are shot from rifled barrels.

If I was going to buy one today I would be looking for a Savage 212/220, or a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 20G. Not so much for hunting in Massachusetts but for hunting other states. It gives you a longer range that would be great for hunting ag fields if you ever decided to hunt out in the Midwest.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom