First time gun owner - couple of questions

Get out and shoot is what I suspect 99% of your will say, so let me be the first to say it. I already have plans to make it to the range several times over the course of the next two weeks to get some rounds through my new 9mm P226. I've done a few searches, but still have a couple of questions on where to go from here, especially before my first range visit.

1) Clean the gun before first use? Some suggest to, some suggest not to. It came dripping with oil, most of which I wiped off to avoid getting everywhere and gunking up the gun. Better to just let things break in first or to insure the gun is free of debris from the manufacturer?

2) On the above subject, which cleaning kit to purchase? I know that cleaning kits are often not the best way to go, as they contain several items that you don't necessarily need / aren't the best quality, but for now, I'd just like something simple and complete. It seems like the M-Pro 7 products are commonly used and they have a kit on Amazon that isn't too much (http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-M-Pro-...DHBS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329694793&sr=8-2). Worth picking up? Something else I should look into?

3) For those of us unfortunate enough to wear glasses, are additional safety glasses required at most ranges? While, like most glasses, mine don't wrap around or look like they're from the 70's, they are made of Trivex (over 10x more impact resistant than polycarb) and are generally considered enough for most chemical labs I'm in. Is eye protection a personal decision or are there typically range requirements?

4) Any additional accessories I should be looking at? I picked up a pair of Peltor SV Tactical Pro's and I'm currently trying to find a nice range bag and holster (thinking this http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-D...TF8&coliid=I33P8PILDD7CQW&colid=2JJ5W1GRTOAPE and the standard Sig holster).

Any other tips or suggestions? I'm sure I'm missing a few things or overlooked a couple of useful pointers. Thanks.

I'm fairly new myself, but that won't stop me from throwing my opinion out there... [smile]

1. Yes, clean the gun before first use. As you noticed, they load it up with oil to prevent rust. You need to get that out of there, especially the bore.
2. I just use a generic aluminum rod, and CLP Breakfree.
3. My range allows daily wear prescription glasses. Your range rules might be different.
4. I use a backpack for a range bag, works for me. I'd like to get electronic ears, probably soon.

1. I usually clean the bore to make sure there isn't any debris. The rest of the gun I'll clean after I shoot it.
2. I like the Otis kits. They come in a nice compact container. I use CLP - Breakfree
3. If you wear small glasses you may want something that wraps around a bit more...especially if shooting at steel
4. A range bag is a necessity. Depending on your range a nice staple gun. Extra hearing and eye protection for your friends to come along.

On the subject of glasses, as long as yours aren't actual glass, you're ok (at least from a "policy" standpoint @ most ranges). They're mostly concerned with shattering, though you really should get some shooting glasses. I actually started wearing contacts @ the range just to simplify things.

3) For those of us unfortunate enough to wear glasses, are additional safety glasses required at most ranges? While, like most glasses, mine don't wrap around or look like they're from the 70's, they are made of Trivex (over 10x more impact resistant than polycarb) and are generally considered enough for most chemical labs I'm in. Is eye protection a personal decision or are there typically range requirements?
I go with contacts and good safety glasses when I shoot.

I always clean a gun when I get it.

I got the hoppes deluxe kit.

You want a nice range bag, a holster, whatever tools you need for general work on the gun, and a hip flask.

Definitely clean your gun before you shoot it.

As for the cleaning kit, it took me time to try different about a year to find one that worked me me, I really like this one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001QVR4K6/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1329697627&sr=8-2, bit it might be overkill for a single gun, they have smaller ones too.

I wear my glasses and have never had an issue MRA, AFS and MFL.

I use an old laptop bag as my range bag.

Curtis

Shatter-resistant glasses should be acceptable at your range. I definitely suggest cleaning any new gun, you never know what crud is there when you buy it. Don't forget to pick up some nice targets, the ones that show a color contrast when hit are a great help when you are starting out.

1.) Always good to field strip, clean, and lubricate your new gun. This allows you to inspect for any manufacturing defects and familiarize yourself with the firearm before first use.

2.) I've pieced mine together as I go, so I'm not at liberty to give you any good suggestions here.

3.) Something like this could be added to your existing eyeglasses. When I toured the Smith and Wesson factory, they provided cheap disposable side shields for anyone wearing eyeglasses. This should be a suitable choice if you don't feel the need for prescription shooting glasses. I personally just wear a baseball cap when shooting.

4.) You've got eye protection, ear protection, a holster, a range bag... the next thing is ammo, of course. You can stop at your local Wal-Mart and pick up some cheap Winchester White Box 9mm that will probably set you back about $25 per 100-round box. You probably want one or two boxes... I recommend more in the area of ten. As they say, unless you're drowning or on fire, there's no such thing as too much ammo.

Probably the best investment you can possibly make right now (besides ammo. Lots of it. Did I mention that?) is a good pistol class. If you list your location, I'm sure there will be some excellent suggestions for local training facilities. Shooting at the range without any good training is like lighting dollar bills on fire... entertaining, but ultimately pointless and it gets expensive very quick.

I think its a good idea to clean and lubricate and get familiar with field stripping a firearm before shooting it. Then, all I would recommend doing is cleaning and lubricating after each time you shoot and you should be good to go.

I have a "Glock Shooting Sports" range bag that I picked up for $20. I like the M7 Pro cleaning kit along with Hoppes #9. I usually clean a new gun before use, this also gives you some familiarity with the functions and assembly.
I wear prescription glasses for 50' and closer shooting and safety glasses for distance shooting. Other possible things for the range bag could be;
1. a mallet and brass rod for tapping out a squib load (this should be an extremely rare occurrence).
2. assorted screw drivers,
3. folding/rollup mat ( I use outdoor ranges and I like to cover the wood so I don't get sand in moving metal parts).
4. Splatter targets (non zombie type).

1.)
4.) You've got eye protection, ear protection, a holster, a range bag... the next thing is ammo, of course. You can stop at your local Wal-Mart and pick up some cheap Winchester White Box 9mm that will probably set you back about $25 per 100-round box. You probably want one or two boxes... I recommend more in the area of ten. As they say, unless you're drowning or on fire, there's no such thing as too much ammo.

My last trip to wally world the 9mm federal was 10.99 per 50 rounds. That was a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, they only had one box left. Also, FS in woburn is same price and they probably have more. I'm very new as well and I plan on getting some instruction at my local range.

cheers.

My last trip to wally world the 9mm federal was 10.99 per 50 rounds. That was a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, they only had one box left. Also, FS in woburn is same price and they probably have more.

WM near me usually has Federal FMJ 115 gr which is $19.99 for 100 rounds (9mm). About a dollar cheaper than Winchester White Box, and my gun can't tell the difference.

Yes, clean and do the function check in your manual. I am a firm believer in everyone should know the safety function check of their pistol. Once you've done it a few times, it easy.

RE: safety glasses, it sort of depends on your range. If your pistol lane has the "cubbyhole" style frame around the bench then the brass will be bouncing back at you and you might want side protection. You can buy clip on slide shields to go with your prescriptions.

Thanks for the input everyone.

With the all-in-ones (CLP's), is it still a good idea to lube high wear parts (rails, etc) or is using a bit of the CLP on them enough?

As for location, I'm in the Westwood / Needham area. I would love to take a few classes once I get more comfortable and familiar with everything. The only range I really know of is Manchester Firing Line, since I visited there a few times before getting my LTC. Any others closer by to visit?

I'm going to go against the grain of a few opinions here and suggest that you do get safety glasses that wrap around your prescription glasses. Why? Two reasons. First, brass bouncing around (mostly a problem in indoor ranges) either from you or a neighbor could ruin your day if it bounces in your eye from the side. Assuming you do the side protectors, you still have the second reason for full safety glasses - even though your polycarbonate lenses won't shatter if struck by flying debris, the right piece at the right speed and angle could produce a nice chip/scratch on a lens that will also ruin your day. More than enough reason, in my book, to invest $2 in some cheap plastic safety goggles from Home Depot or, if you want to look a little more fashionable, invest in some prescription shooting goggles from one of those low-price online glasses places.

Thanks for the input everyone.

With the all-in-ones (CLP's), is it still a good idea to lube high wear parts (rails, etc) or is using a bit of the CLP on them enough?

As for location, I'm in the Westwood / Needham area. I would love to take a few classes once I get more comfortable and familiar with everything. The only range I really know of is Manchester Firing Line, since I visited there a few times before getting my LTC. Any others closer by to visit?

Check with Mass Firearm School in Holliston. Also American Firearms in North Attleboro.

Assuming you do the side protectors, you still have the second reason for full safety glasses - even though your polycarbonate lenses won't shatter if struck by flying debris, the right piece at the right speed and angle could produce a nice chip/scratch on a lens that will also ruin your day. More than enough reason, in my book, to invest $2 in some cheap plastic safety goggles from Home Depot or, if you want to look a little more fashionable, invest in some prescription shooting goggles from one of those low-price online glasses places.

This was going to be my suggestion, until I read "and are generally considered enough for most chemical labs I'm in." Sounds as though the OP is resigned to the possibility of damage to his lenses.

When cleaning the gun don't forget the mags. On a semi this is often more important than anything else. A lot of manufs lard up their mags with oil/grease/preservative that needs to be cleaned out.

-Mike

Camhabib, congrats on the 226. That's one of my favorite guns.

Something like this

Wow, those are some birth control glasses right there! (I can confirm. I wore a pair just like those in a factory job during college.)

Anyway, I wear glasses and use some polycarb safety classes over top of them like these:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs..._mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-202195385

Picked them up at the hardware store. They're fine for the range.

The uncle mike's range bag is fine. For cleaning kits, decide whether you want a stiff cleaning rod (like Outers) or a flexible rod (Otis). I have both, and frankly they both have their advantages. If you ever end up with a revolver at some point, the flexible rods are better because you can go beach to muzzle with patches / brushes.

Have fun. The 226 in 9mm has plenty of pre-ban 15rd mags out there, too.

1. I usually clean the bore to make sure there isn't any debris. The rest of the gun I'll clean after I shoot it.
2. I like the Otis kits. They come in a nice compact container. I use CLP - Breakfree
3. If you wear small glasses you may want something that wraps around a bit more...especially if shooting at steel
4. A range bag is a necessity. Depending on your range a nice staple gun. Extra hearing and eye protection for your friends to come along.

Pretty much this, make sure the barrels clean, the rest can wait til after you hit the range for most guns. It may depend on manufacturer or gun type, my bushmaster had probably a quart of oil in it when I bought it.
As for range bag, I have an uncle mikes duffel type bag that works great. Youll want a staple gun and staples, spare ear and eye protection, tools you may need for your firearm, etc.
Also on the glasses as long as you think theyll give you good safety protection then they should be fine, you may want something that encompass you prescription glasses before you need to up your prescription [wink]

The best value for money in range bags is probably this one from Midway. It's virtually always on sale, and at $40 it really can't be beat. It's pretty large, which doesn't seem to stop me from filling it up, but if you want the same thing in a more manageable size there's a smaller version for $10 less.

Back
Top Bottom