• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Time Gun Owner Checklist

Seems like now more than ever I have had people who were never 2A supporters reaching out asking questions about getting their LTC etc. I am sure many on here are in the same boat. Anyways my old boss had reached out asking questions and I offered to take him shooting. He and his wife had attended the NRA class and had gone shooting at MFS. He seemed set on the full-size M&P 9mm but wanted to try a few others. I met up up with him yesterday at my club to let him try a few different 9mms. He asked me what he should prioritize look into getting once he got his LTC and it got me thinking. Here is my list in no particular order, anything missing?

1) Pick a firearm YOU are comfortable with, that you shoot well and are confident in. Told him anything he considered buying he should try renting at the range at least 2-3 times prior to buying. Also told him not to be afraid buying used. I know for awhile I would only buy new. I only owned one handgun for like the first 4-5 years I had my LTC and to this day I seem to shoot it far better than any other gun I own. I am of the opinion that you should get VERY proficient with your handgun before moving on to something else.

2) Ammo, explained that this is an awful time to be buying ammo but always have more on hand than you think you will need because you never know what is going to happen.

3) Ear/Eye protection, again subjective to what is comfortable but I am a buy once cry once kind of guy.

4) Quality range bag.

5) Some actual formal training on defensive use of a pistol.

5) Decent handgun safe.

6) Extra magazines, explained how pricey owning firearms can be.

Lastly and maybe most importantly when he tried to give me some $ for ammo I told him to put it towards a membership/donation to GOAL/COMM2A and get involved with preserving the 2A. Too many shooters out there that don't do anything/fight to preserve the 2A.

Let's hear what I missed.

"I am of the opinion that you should get VERY proficient with your handgun before moving on to something else."

1. Define or quantify "VERY proficient" with your handgun.

2. Why is this important in your estimation?

3. Are you saying a gun owner should buy a handgun before any other fire arm?

4. Why would someone need to be "VERY proficient" in a handgun before moving on to buying a shotgun? They are two COMPLETELY different tools and used for very different disciplines. Why should a new or newer gun owner have to be proficient in a handgun before buying a shotgun to go shoot trap or learn to hunt?

I learned rifle as a kid then in the army for 25 years and also handgun from time to time. When I bought my own i went with a handgun.....then a few rifles....and finally shotguns....and I'm a WAY better shotgunner and hunter than I am with handgun disciplines. If I listened to your advice here id have never started shooting clays and hunt because I'd still be f***ing around with a pistol. 🤣. When I got my ltc many moons ago I bought 5 fire arms in 12 months......and I got damn good with all of them.....just more so with a shotgun.

Telling a new gun owner to wait 4-5 years before moving to other disciplines is just......strange to me. I tell new gun owners to get ready to spend some bucks ......stack em deep.

Last edited:
617-727-8400.
Definitely 617-727-8400.
617-727-8400?
Mass Attorney General's Consumer Hotline...???
Have you worked on issues with Ms. Healey in the past...?

Refresh my memory, what was the hoax?
The whole push for gun control that the cuck governor of VT rushed to sign was a panic over some teenager supposedly threatening to shoot up some festival. Judge looked at the flimsy evidence and threw the case out. The legislative 'emergency' was over an event that didn't happen and according to a court was never going to have happen in the first place. Sugar daddy bigot Bloomberg threw a bunch of money around and bused in his grayed haired grannies for gun control. The governor and legislature couldn't wait to flop on their backs for Bloombucks.

The long thread is here:

"I am of the opinion that you should get VERY proficient with your handgun before moving on to something else."

4. Why would someone need to be "VERY proficient" in a handgun before moving on to buying a shotgun? They are two COMPLETELY different tools and used for very different disciplines. Why should a new or newer gun owner have to be proficient in a handgun before buying a shotgun to go shoot trap or learn to hunt?

I learned rifle as a kid then in the army for 25 years and also handgun from time to time. When I bought my own i went with a handgun.....then a few rifles....and finally shotguns....and I'm a WAY better shotgunner and hunter than I am with handgun disciplines. If I listened to your advice here id have never started shooting clays and hunt because I'd still be f***ing around with a pistol. 🤣. When I got my ltc many moons ago I bought 5 fire arms in 12 months......and I got damn good with all of them.....just more so with a shotgun.

Telling a new gun owner to wait 4-5 years before moving to other disciplines is just......strange to me. I tell new gun owners to get ready to spend some bucks ......stack em deep.

Your not wrong.

I’m not saying you need to wait 4-5 years, that’s just my story. IMO knowing how to use your firearm (pistol or otherwise) and having confidence you will be on target is more important that having a safe full of boom sticks.

IMO knowing how to use your firearm (pistol or otherwise) and having confidence you will be on target is more important that having a safe full of boom sticks.
This is true...and basic proficiency can be attained reasonably quickly. Then, owing to the fact that different people learn in different ways, and folks simply have varying preferences, cross-training can incredibly be valuable. For example, Appleseeds are for rifles only; they are also a fantastic way of learning fundamentals. A student that attends one in their first year of firearms ownership will become a better pistol shooter as a result. Similarly, going and trying out a Sunday morning of shooting trap will start to teach them to acquire moving targets, which will again help them improve as defensive (i.e. pistol) shooters.

I'm partial to 867-5309. Forget the annoying song. Remember the NYNEX/BellAtlantic/Verizon commercial with the chick that wanted that # and got it. Damn she was hot!

Spend the extra money so that you have a range bag and a separate airline carry on bag.;)

Yes those are definitely not ever the same bag!

I keep 2 range duffle bags that I am able to permanently store all targets, tools, rests, eye and ear protection, stapler, etc etc in, plus can load 500+ rounds of mixed mags and ammo into them. If I am shooting both come for the ride, may not drag them both into an indoor range but never forget anything that way.

Yes those are definitely not ever the same bag!

I keep 2 range duffle bags that I am able to permanently store all targets, tools, rests, eye and ear protection, stapler, etc etc in, plus can load 500+ rounds of mixed mags and ammo into them. If I am shooting both come for the ride, may not drag them both into an indoor range but never forget anything that way.
i kinda do the same. i keep a soft style briefcase type bag in my truck with targets, stapler, of course a box of extra staples, ear foam protectors and not much else. i don't load it up with heavy shit, that's what my range bag is for. many, many years ago i set this in place after one too many times forgetting targets or that most important tool...the stapler. it never leaves my truck, when i replenish it, i bring the stuff out to the bag...never, never bring the bag in for fear of leaving it behind. it's not a bug out bag so no need for clutter. just the way i do it.

i kinda do the same. i keep a soft style briefcase type bag in my truck with targets, stapler, of course a box of extra staples, ear foam protectors and not much else. i don't load it up with heavy shit, that's what my range bag is for. many, many years ago i set this in place after one too many times forgetting targets or that most important tool...the stapler. it never leaves my truck, when i replenish it, i bring the stuff out to the bag...never, never bring the bag in for fear of leaving it behind. it's not a bug out bag so no need for clutter. just the way i do it.

Ya I was once doing the one bag thing except I shoot a lot of 7.62/308, which gets really heavy. Eventually spread it out into two bags to balance the load.

Also picked up this savior rifle backpack thing that is really sweet, doesn't even look that wierd but can hold 2 rifles and a good amount of loaded mags, ammo, pistols even too...

So now I can carry 2 duffles and a backpack covering all range errata, tons of ammo, 2 rifles plus a bunch of pistols all comfortably, one trip out to the truck or walking in someplace.

1. Go to FS and ask the guy at the counter what to buy. Ignore suggestions and buy coolest looking / most impractical gun.

2. Buy 50rd box of 9mm. Whoops, the gun you chose takes 50AE and the box you bought is actually 45acp.

3. Put gun and box of (wrong) ammo in the attic because your wife is afraid of guns and has your balls in a vise. Feel safe knowing you are protected from hoards of home invaders.

4. Vote for Biden, lose gun rights, sell gun to a "buyback" for a $25 Stop and Shop gift card. It's OK because you never really used it anyway and you need a Thanksgiving turkey.

1. Go to FS and ask the guy at the counter what to buy. Ignore suggestions and buy coolest looking / most impractical gun.

2. Buy 50rd box of 9mm. Whoops, the gun you chose takes 50AE and the box you bought is actually 45acp.

3. Put gun and box of (wrong) ammo in the attic because your wife is afraid of guns and has your balls in a vise. Feel safe knowing you are protected from hoards of home invaders.

4. Vote for Biden, lose gun rights, sell gun to a "buyback" for a $25 Stop and Shop gift card. It's OK because you never really used it anyway and you need a Thanksgiving turkey.

Be fair, there might be a range trip in there directly on your way back from the shop (without cleaning, lube, or any attention to the pistol you just bought, which it will never get as long as you own it)..

The strangest example of steel case ammo you bought will constantly jam as you launch rounds at a target 10 feet away, frequently muzzleing everything/everyone around you in between clearing failures and reloading, until half a box of the 50 rounds you bought remains.

Reflecting upon my ownership path, having made some mistakes, learned from them, and read (NES) a lot:

1. An average individuals first guns should be a 9mm pistol that accepts magazines 15+ rounds and is striker fired. A .22 pistol has a lot going for it, but its value does not extend outside the range. 9mm checks all the practical boxes one could hope for in a single gun. Shotguns are versatile, but cant do CC duty, which is arguably most important.

2. A case of ammo, and a couple boxes of hollowpoints. How else are you going to practice and then keep your gun around for its purpose? I guess with this comes a pair of ear muffs/plugs and safety glasses. I assume most people could scrape together a bag and some tape for targets.

2a. A place to shoot.

3. A decent belt and decent holster.

4. A method of storage adequate for quick access.

5. 2-3 extra magazines. Of course youd want more, but this gives a new gun owner enough to have 2 for carry/defense and another 2-3 for range practice.

6. A generic cleaning kit and some old tshirts you cut up.

Id say the above is probably the minimum and while you could add more, other things could probably wait. With the purchase of subsequent guns all you have to do is add ammo, magazines, and whatever support accessories make it useful or fun.

Memorize and diligently practice basic gun safety rules.

1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
3. Never point a gun at something you don't intend to kill or destroy.
4. Be sure of you target and what is beyond it.

This. Commit the cardinal rules to memory, and use them as the foundation for introducing anyone else to firearms. Anytime I take someone to the range, the car ride is spent going over the rules. We don't get out of the car until my guest can repeat them back to me. All handling on the range is done with empty firearms until I am completely confident they will follow the rules.

Back
Top Bottom