• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Time Gun Owner Checklist

Junior314

NES Life Member
NES Member
Seems like now more than ever I have had people who were never 2A supporters reaching out asking questions about getting their LTC etc. I am sure many on here are in the same boat. Anyways my old boss had reached out asking questions and I offered to take him shooting. He and his wife had attended the NRA class and had gone shooting at MFS. He seemed set on the full-size M&P 9mm but wanted to try a few others. I met up up with him yesterday at my club to let him try a few different 9mms. He asked me what he should prioritize look into getting once he got his LTC and it got me thinking. Here is my list in no particular order, anything missing?

1) Pick a firearm YOU are comfortable with, that you shoot well and are confident in. Told him anything he considered buying he should try renting at the range at least 2-3 times prior to buying. Also told him not to be afraid buying used. I know for awhile I would only buy new. I only owned one handgun for like the first 4-5 years I had my LTC and to this day I seem to shoot it far better than any other gun I own. I am of the opinion that you should get VERY proficient with your handgun before moving on to something else.

2) Ammo, explained that this is an awful time to be buying ammo but always have more on hand than you think you will need because you never know what is going to happen.

3) Ear/Eye protection, again subjective to what is comfortable but I am a buy once cry once kind of guy.

4) Quality range bag.

5) Some actual formal training on defensive use of a pistol.

5) Decent handgun safe.

6) Extra magazines, explained how pricey owning firearms can be.

Lastly and maybe most importantly when he tried to give me some $ for ammo I told him to put it towards a membership/donation to GOAL/COMM2A and get involved with preserving the 2A. Too many shooters out there that don't do anything/fight to preserve the 2A.

Let's hear what I missed.

0.5) Decide what it is you will be buying one for: target, hunting, self defense, "plinking", competition, or some combination of these
0.6) Determine which models meet criteria above
0.7) Try different ones, to see which you are drawn to, and which are straight out, even if they have a good reputation. Everyone's hands are different.

8) There is no such thing as an illegal handgun in MA. The list is only for handguns DEALERS are not "allowed" to sell NEW to us.
A. Dealers can transfer those guns to us on a private purchase that is done through a dealer.
B. Dealers can sell those guns used to us.
C. Those guns can be purchased on a private transaction without a dealer getting involved.
D. If a gun is at a dealer and it is on sale, don't worry about any lists, you can buy it.

9) if you can't find the gun you want, don't be afraid to go online.
Step 1. Call dealer and ask if its OK to transfer. If dealer says YES, get a copy of their FFL.
Step 2. Submit the info to the online retailer.
Step 3. Your gun gets shipped to the dealer.
Step 4. When it arrives, you go to the dealer, pay a transfer fee ($20-40 depending on dealer) and take the gun home.

10) if buying online and transferring at a dealer - NEVER PAY SALES TAX. The dealer is only performing a service, not selling you a new gun. No sales tax.

11) don't get a .40. Only criminals own .40 [smile]

It could take someone years to develop the intestinal fortitude to handle the MASSIVE AMOUNT OF POWER that is .40
QFMFT

I trained with +P+ 9mm (while simultaneously punching myself in the wrist during trigger-pull) before moving up to the venerable .40 S&W.
*I bench-press 210#s, no spotters...

Last edited:
Oh, and to add to the OP's 'List'...

Get the business card of a really good Gun Lawyer and keep it in your wallet, save it in your phone; memorize the number is even better...

Seems like now more than ever I have had people who were never 2A supporters reaching out asking questions about getting their LTC etc. I am sure many on here are in the same boat. Anyways my old boss had reached out asking questions and I offered to take him shooting. He and his wife had attended the NRA class and had gone shooting at MFS. He seemed set on the full-size M&P 9mm but wanted to try a few others. I met up up with him yesterday at my club to let him try a few different 9mms. He asked me what he should prioritize look into getting once he got his LTC and it got me thinking. Here is my list in no particular order, anything missing?

1) Pick a firearm YOU are comfortable with, that you shoot well and are confident in. Told him anything he considered buying he should try renting at the range at least 2-3 times prior to buying. Also told him not to be afraid buying used. I know for awhile I would only buy new. I only owned one handgun for like the first 4-5 years I had my LTC and to this day I seem to shoot it far better than any other gun I own. I am of the opinion that you should get VERY proficient with your handgun before moving on to something else.

2) Ammo, explained that this is an awful time to be buying ammo but always have more on hand than you think you will need because you never know what is going to happen.

3) Ear/Eye protection, again subjective to what is comfortable but I am a buy once cry once kind of guy.

4) Quality range bag.

5) Some actual formal training on defensive use of a pistol.

5) Decent handgun safe.

6) Extra magazines, explained how pricey owning firearms can be.

Lastly and maybe most importantly when he tried to give me some $ for ammo I told him to put it towards a membership/donation to GOAL/COMM2A and get involved with preserving the 2A. Too many shooters out there that don't do anything/fight to preserve the 2A.

Let's hear what I missed.

Maybe some snap caps to work out the flinching.

At first even shooting a 9 feels like driving a freight train. Once they get some experience they will probably start drinking their coffee black, eating steak rare and shooting a .40 though...unless they are recoil sensitive, then maybe stick with a 9.

Memorize and diligently practice basic gun safety rules.

1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
3. Never point a gun at something you don't intend to kill or destroy.
4. Be sure of you target and what is beyond it.
Unless your the McCluskiy’s then it’s ok to break all these rules😂😂😂😂😂

Pretty sure I got one of these, or one like it, when I took hunter safety class as a kid.

Shooting-Ten-Commandments.jpg

Memorize and diligently practice basic gun safety rules.

1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
3. Never point a gun at something you don't intend to kill or destroy.
4. Be sure of you target and what is beyond it.

Can't be over stressed enough .

1. Always keep a cheap pair of ears and eyes in your car because there will be a time you forget to toss them in your range bag or someone else wants to tag along.

2. A secure way to store and lock ammo.

3. Think of what type and amount of firearms you intend to purchase. Find a safe that accommodates those and then go up at least one size.

4. Pay it forward when you have an opportunity to.

Or, register republican and vote for Biden. Get rid of that retard Mr. Trump.

Thanks

[rolleyes] [rolleyes]

That "retard" put more people to work his first year in office than any president in the last fifty years.

What do you think a biden/harris regime will do.....create more of those " shovel ready" jobs that will never materialize like the previous marxist Obama/Biden regime?

Buy more ammo than you think you'll ever use.

Buy a bigger safe than you think you'll ever need.

Whenever you are tempted to buy some accessory because you think it'll make you a better shooter, spend that money on training instead.

Focus on the front sight.

Always carry.

Back
Top Bottom