First time buying and the proposed AWB....

Hey everyone.

call it jumping the gun or whatever you want, hopefully, within the next couple weeks i should have my license in hand. before all of the hysteria after the CT shooting I had planned to purchase an AK (M10 762) and a compact 9mm. The Walther PPS to be specific. I like this gun and id really like to own one. however, now with the proposed AWB im having second thoughts. im wondering if i should spring the extra money and pick up a Glock. I like the Glock 23 Gen 3 or 4 in particular. .40 S&W doesnt seem to be the first choice of alot of people, i find more .40 out there than 9mm and .45. I was also looking for a compact-medium sized handgun.

Ive read nothing but great things about Glock, and how reliable they are. I had planned to eventually buy one down the road, but with all of the nonsense going on, whats the probability that i will be able to get one then? As for the AK, forget about it. ill be lucky to find something close to my price range. Im also contemplating buying a stripped lower or completed lower while i can. If i can not purchase a rifle that i like i may resort to my choice of shotgun. 18" Remington 870 Express Tactical.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated. this may be too soon, but who knows where this will go. ive sent letters to state reps, will become a member of the NRA and GOAL next weekend, and as soon as i have my license in hand i will be a GREEN member.

Using the shotgun for trap or HD? Get the 870 16" for HD. The PPS is an excellent choice, go for it. 40 is abundant but it's overpriced and another hurdle for a new gun owner to overcome. You can get 9mm for a great price and some ammunition beats the .40. AKs are too pricey, wait a few months for them to come back into the market at regular prices. Good luck.

If you're worried about the AWB then invest in a cheaper carry pistol, and start building a rifle or two. Pick up magazines when ever you can, and good luck. Everything has gone full retard out there.

Using the shotgun for trap or HD? Get the 870 16" for HD. The PPS is an excellent choice, go for it. 40 is abundant but it's overpriced and another hurdle for a new gun owner to overcome. You can get 9mm for a great price and some ammunition beats the .40. AKs are too pricey, wait a few months for them to come back into the market at regular prices. Good luck.

yes, the shotgun will be for home defense. im really leaning towards the PPS i just didnt know if Glocks were more in danger because of the madness. Its a shame, i was really looking forward to picking up an AK. ultimately id like to have a rifle and a 9MM handgun for my first purchase. i guess what im thinking is, if they do go through with a ban, AK prices will stay high. a friend of mine has an older pre-ban AR i believe. im going to talk to him and see if maybe he would be interested in selling it to me as well. hes not into shooting nearly as much as he used to.

thats exactly what i was talking about. okay, thats a little closure. see my thought is, if i can get a Glock now, i might as well before i wont be able to. the PPS wont be going anywhere because its below the '10 round' cap. at least with a Glock, pre-ban mags can be acquired still correct?

edit: not that i would absolutely have to have a hi-cap mag. but to own one or two couldnt hurt? :)

Last edited:
Pre ban 17 round glock mags were selling for $70 on an online retailer before I knew where Sandy Hook Elementary was. I dont even want to think about the cost now.
Remember this, some of the proposed legislation would ban all semi autos with the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
But the one I want doesnt hold more than ten rounds?
Doesnt matter, someone out there has made a magazine that holds more than ten that will fit, hence even semi auto pistols with factory 8 round mags would be banned. Under Douchsteins bill that is.

Unfortunately.. You are potentially looking at a situation where you will only have the one chance, from a time and a money standpoint to make this happen. So, you need to really think carefully about how your money is best spent. And long term what you will be happiest with, as you may not be able to buy or sell that item down the road.

if it were me. I'd look at the rifle first (and be picking up mags where ever possible, (NOW). Price wise, right now, an AK Wasr will probably run the same as a AR lower. I'd grab an AK, but an AR is a perfectly wonderful way to go. Either way as long as you have the AK or lower landed you can always put it together or have the AK gunsmithed to your liking.

Pistol next, my preference would be the PPS, But there are tons of Glock parts out there, cheap. Glock gets you a lot more options. Also, S&W makes a very nice alternative.

Shotguns will be around and available. An 870, is versatile and swapping the barrel and stock can do anything, Skeet, trap, turkey, home defense..

hmm never thought of that. i really wanted to get my hands on the M10 762 AK Variant. but not for the price of $1000+ im all set. its a $700 rifle, new. and anything over $1000 id rather look at an AR.

I first bought a hand gun Sig p226 sold it (wasnt feeling it 100%) went and bought a Glock 17 which I love.

Tomorrow Im picking up my Stag Arms Ar15. Cant wait

If i was you I would get a rifle first or at least a lower and build it up

well ill be waiting longer than i thought, just called the FRB this morning. Attleboro PD hasnt even submitted my background check to the state yet. I have a clean record, crystal. there is also someone else in my town waiting. its outrageous. im sending an email to State Rep Heroux tonight.

Let me start from the fact that I do not think that a federal total assault weapons ban is too likely.
The easiest thing to do without legislation a is ban imports. That goes for aks (us made aks suck). Or even easier is to do gentle men's agreement with Russia .... Ever thought why svd which is 2k rifle is 15k?
Also they can hammer the us manufacturers, ffls with taxes and other shit, that won't need too much effort...
Handguns I would not sweat on.

So federally wise. I would get first an ak and then an ar (preferably both at once).

NOW state wise..... I think we are ****ed. Most gun owners and goal are very passive. S if you think about state... I would get 3 ars and 3 aks

I think it would be better for you as a new gun owner to purchase a handgun first. It will be easier/cheaper than buying an AK. For a starter gun there are some nice, comparable guns to Glocks, at much cheaper prices. The Ruger SR9C or SR40C are nice guns for the price. I know people get all worked up about the multiple safety features, but I think they really help someone new to handguns become more comfortable. I got my license last year, and my first gun was the SR9C and I think its a great value.

I'm now in the same boat as you. Deciding on whether or not I want to spend the money on an AK at the current market prices. It's hard to know how everything will play out, but it looks fairly certain that our wonderful state will be trying to implement some new legislation. Decisions, decisions...

Good luck on your license. Last year it took me four months since I sat down with my licensing official, pretty amazing. But I'll never forget the day I got it in the mail, and went and bought my first handgun later that day!

I think it would be better for you as a new gun owner to purchase a handgun first. It will be easier/cheaper than buying an AK. For a starter gun there are some nice, comparable guns to Glocks, at much cheaper prices. The Ruger SR9C or SR40C are nice guns for the price. I know people get all worked up about the multiple safety features, but I think they really help someone new to handguns become more comfortable. I got my license last year, and my first gun was the SR9C and I think its a great value.

I'm now in the same boat as you. Deciding on whether or not I want to spend the money on an AK at the current market prices. It's hard to know how everything will play out, but it looks fairly certain that our wonderful state will be trying to implement some new legislation. Decisions, decisions...

Good luck on your license. Last year it took me four months since I sat down with my licensing official, pretty amazing. But I'll never forget the day I got it in the mail, and went and bought my first handgun later that day!

Yup me either. I got the SR9c too and love it. My advice on Glock, if you want any Glock, don't buy some shitty pre-ban one at Four Seasons etc. Just browse the classifieds and find the one you want. Unless you're in a free state of course. But there are plenty of other good CCW's on the market. Walther PPS, Kahr PM9, so fourth.

I would try and find some AR lowers. I doubt anything will change with handguns. If I was starting to carry right now, .40 cal seems to be easier to find.

.40 cal is easier to find because most people can't shoot it worth a crap out of a compact gun. Keep looking. Pay more for 9mm if you have to. If you are a new shooter, this is doubly true.

A 16" shotty is some time in a Federal PMITAP without a tax stamp ;)

I kept re-reading this and I was like huh? But then of course I got it. I'm too drunk on AR's to think about shotguns [laugh]. I should SBR a double barrel 12ga though, drool.

I would opt for the 18"

I wouldn't but can you explain why? A 16.5" barrel shotgun will be much more maneuverable in tight quarters or even in a large room in your house. An extra inch and a half doesn't seem that much but it is. Ya ya ya, I know how it sounded haha.

Last edited:
If trying to decide whether to buy a rifle or a pistol first, remember the old adage. "A pistol is what you use to get to your rifle... which you shouldn't have left behind in the first place!"

thank you for all of the advice everyone. im really leaning towards sucking it up and dumping the money on a decent rifle. id really like to take the cheaper route and get an AK, but damn an AR is nice. I just really didnt want to spend $1500 on a single firearm at first. but honestly, ill probably have another couple months to think about it and by then, who knows what ill be able to purchase.

depending on how things look then, ill want to make the smartest decision to benefit from the current market and ill have some more money saved up.

I wouldn't but can you explain why? A 16.5" barrel shotgun will be much more maneuverable in tight quarters or even in a large room in your house. An extra inch and a half doesn't seem that much but it is.
Yes, Do you really want to do NFA paperwork and tax stamps for 1.5" If your going to go that route, make it 12"

thank you for all of the advice everyone. im really leaning towards sucking it up and dumping the money on a decent rifle. id really like to take the cheaper route and get an AK, but damn an AR is nice. I just really didnt want to spend $1500 on a single firearm at first. but honestly, ill probably have another couple months to think about it and by then, who knows what ill be able to purchase.

depending on how things look then, ill want to make the smartest decision to benefit from the current market and ill have some more money saved up.

You don't have to spend $1500. A M&P sport is a great gun. It used to sell for $650. But now its a "bit" more. Still not 1500 though. The free state model is even better if you can lay your hands on one of those and then bring it into compliance before bringing it to MA. A muzzle brake is a nice thing to have and the free state one comes with a threaded bbl. You'd of course have to permanently attach the muzzle device of your choice.

Don

Buy anything that has a detachable mag. Buy them all the time, with mags and ammo. Don't discriminate. AR, AK, FAL, PTR, CETME, HK91, SL8, Mini-14, PSL, M1A, Saiga 12, pistol caliber carbine....you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom