• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

first time building an upper from scratch

Yea, that is actually not easy. You need to have a jig or tooling setup to do it correctly, or be a pretty skilled machinist to do it without tooling. One of the only things I would have a gunsmith do on an AR. I would use a screw or clamp type of FSB if you can't find someone to do it at a reasonable cost.

Yea, that is actually not easy. You need to have a jig or tooling setup to do it correctly, or be a pretty skilled machinist to do it without tooling. One of the only things I would have a gunsmith do on an AR. I would use a screw or clamp type of FSB if you can't find someone to do it at a reasonable cost.

I agree with these comments. The alignment is obviously the key. If you decide to do it yourself, using a pair of vice grips to pinch the FSB, where they contact the barrel, can help reduce the likelihood of the barrel/FSB rotating during the process.

I bought a inexpensive"colt" upper kit while back, it came with a new barrel, minus the front sight pin slots and any finish. So I decided to drill and tap the front sight base for set screws.
I started with the hole thats under the sling swivel. You could also drill a hole where the bayo lug is. This got me the ability to lock in place. I then D&T'd the pin holes on the FSB.
Later when I felt all was good I used a slightly undersized drill bit to slightly dimple the barre through the now threaded holes. One at a time. Below is the link I used.

http://gswagner.com/arsight/arsightmods2.html it took me a few trips to the hardware store to get the length right on the screws they are just flush. You can also get a little windage adjustment out of this set up also.

I suppose you could use apropriate bit that will drill flats on the barrel through the threaded holes ? I never got that far.
My friend loved the old colt upper and made a offer I could not say no to. I have not heard a whisper from him about it since.

Last edited:
You could just drill and tap a set screw under the sling swivel. Get it all lined up then drill the holes for the pins. That is if you want to do it your self.

Forgive me for hijacking this thread, but can someone please school me on when and why I would need to drill the barrel? I saw plenty of builds where it wasn't done.

Thanks in advance.

Forgive me for hijacking this thread, but can someone please school me on when and why I would need to drill the barrel? I saw plenty of builds where it wasn't done.

Thanks in advance.

You can buy barrels "in the white" where the only thing done is the receiver extension and the gas port hole. Then if you want the proper pins for a standard A2 front sight base they need to be drilled and the metal finished.

Thank you! Learned something new [thumbsup]

To elaborate some more.
- The standard A2 Front sight, is usually pinned x2. The cuts in the barrel are called journal cuts.
(I've always called them journal cuts, someone correct me if I'm wrong).
- Then there are gas blocks, that can be pinned. Just what you think. Journal/Drill the barrel - pin through the block and locks the gas block position to the barrel.
- Then you can get a clamp on gas block
- There's also gas blocks that have a set screw on the bottom (or several). Some barrels are pre-dimpled. Others may require drilling a shallow dimple.

Back
Top Bottom