First time AR 15 owner needs help.

I picked up this AR last week. I'm in Massachusetts so I saw a pre 94 at a reasonable price and jumped on it. Anyway it seem to be in good shape but I would like to swap the handguard out to something with m lock and picatinny. The handguard on it is a free float carbon fiber with no way to mount iron sites or anything for that matter. Not sure how to remove this. I read online ometimes they are epoxied on. Anyone have any first hand experience swapping these out?
If you are truly not wanting to keep the guard, get a pipe cutter from your Home Depot list his, Cut it off, see what underneath.. $22, In Stock
1603371124181.png

Not that I recommend this as a first option, but I'd assume that carbon fiber hand guard would be easy to drill for pic rails. I think I'd want something thinner myself, but that would be relatively low hanging fruit.

Yeah it wont unscrew. There's no tabs or bolts either. I read I may have to heat the epoxy up to unthread it. Just hoping someone here had some first hand knowledge. Thanks

Interesting setup. While no one asked, and please don't be insulted by my question, what is your confidence and mechanical skill set to work on this? I've learned a lot from AR15.com and others on NES, but at a certain point I realize I'm a little over my skill set on certain things and take it to a professional. At least for an estimate.

Just my $.02 of an opinion.

Jay

Last edited:
So if I replace the upper any suggestions on reasonably priced options that are decent quality? I've looked at some of the options palmetto state has to offer. They look decent.

If you really want to remove the handguard, more than likely it was epoxied to the barrel nut.
You could try some heat to the barrel nut area.
If you want you can just cut it off.
Insert a cleaning rod inside the front of the handguard till it stops, this is to measure out how long that barrel nut is from the end of the handguard.
Use a flashlight to make sure you pass by the gas block and are all the way down the handguard tube.
Then using a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel, cut the handguard before the muzzle end of the barrel nut.
When you're done cutting you should be able to just slide the handguard tube off.
Drift out the gas tube roll pin and remove the gas tube.
Then remove the muzzle break along with the gas block.
You may have to use a hammer and a small block of wood to remove the gas block.
Use a Sharpie marker and mark the location of the gas block to the barrel so when you reinstall it, it indexes to the barrel in line with the gas port that is factory drilled in the barrel.
Next remove the barrel nut using a strap wrench or even large pump pliers
That handguard is worthless anyhows.
The rest is reuseable.
That muzzle break could even be changed to any flash hider you like as you have a 1994 preban rifle.
Keep your stock and pistol grip in case you ever want a retro rifle in the future.

Last edited:
I would leave the upper as it is, and just get/build a second upper. <G> <WINK>

I highly recommend Aero precision's uppers. Great for the money, their Atlas line is awesome.
AR15 ATLAS S-ONE M-LOK Handguard

DUe to stock, I couldn't source one for a recent build, and went with a handguard from here: Specializing in AR Drop In and Free Float Handguard Rail Mounts
It was $50 and worth every penny... but I had to do some finishing work and will be cerekoting it (I'd already planned to do so.)

For $50, with ten minutes with some scotchbrite and dropping it in the anodizing tank; I'm good with it.

So if I replace the upper any suggestions on reasonably priced options that are decent quality? I've looked at some of the options palmetto state has to offer. They look decent.

The answer to your question about an optic is going to be more about how you plan to shoot the rifle (long distance, 100 yards, home defense use, etc.).

Assuming that you are looking at home defense use, there are a number of options. Everyone has their opinions on a variety of red-dot type optics.

Maybe a helpful answer (or answers) could come along = if you list what your "optics budget" is.

Buy a Upper Halve from Model 1 and keep that other one as is...
I've bought from them and really like the company and their service...

Click on link, find the Upper Halve section (2nd one down) on the left and have fun...

Model 1 Sales

I picked up this AR last week. I'm in Massachusetts so I saw a pre 94 at a reasonable price and jumped on it. Anyway it seem to be in good shape but I would like to swap the handguard out to something with m lock and picatinny. The handguard on it is a free float carbon fiber with no way to mount iron sites or anything for that matter. Not sure how to remove this. I read online sometimes they are epoxied on. Anyone have any first hand experience swapping these out?

Anticipation is killing me!
Did you heat and spin that thing off yet?
Receiver block in vice and strap wrench...
Maybe a little heat...

Very lightweight, just want something I can mount iron sight on.
Taking it to the range would be interesting to see how it handles long distance shooting; pushing the limits with mag dumps may not be as effective. Then again, it did come with a red dot, who knows, it could stay relatively level at increased firing rates. If you feel that's a waste of time then at least try to remove the upper without ruining the looks or function because it could be valuable to someone: a collector, enthusiast if valuable, or another shooter.

If it were me...
I would buy a complete upper assembly. One that matched the color of the lower.
and take that massive recoil pad off.

the more I look at your rifle. The more confused I get.. this was definitely a purpose built.. or done on purpose build. . it looks like a 22” bull barrel. A massive recoil comp.. With a free float carbon hand guard. Then a massive recoil pad. Which makes me think bench rest? Or long range varmint? Or maybe a person with a shoulder injury.. but then.. a red dot..

a lot going on there, I would strip down to the lower and do over with an upper that matches..

3Gun type matches rifle were built like that a while ago. Heavy WOA barrel with a brake, carbon fiber hand guard to keep the weight down. All the stages in the area are pretty short range, so a red dot makes sense. I used something similar a while back

Back
Top Bottom