• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First skeet gun, questions...

Hello all.

So I was just introduced to clay shooting (sporting, trap and skeet) and I really enjoy it. The problem is that I do not have a good shotgun for this type of shooting. I have been looking around and trying some various shotguns and really like the Browning's. My problem is that I have a couple of questions on them. I will say I am eying the Cynergy Sporting...

First off, what barrel length is good to start with? I have been trying 28" barrel length shotguns and they seem to work decent. I would like to have the option to bring the gun hunting the rare occurrences that I do with a friend also. So my main question is should I go with a 28" or 30" barrel? Are there significant pro's/con's to either?

Also, is the adjustable comb worth the extra money? Or do you suggest just shooting the gun without the adjustable feature? If I go without it, will I regret it down the line?

Lastly, can the Cynergy Sporting handle like a 3.5" magnum load for hunting larger birds, or should I stick with 3" and under? Like I said this will be mainly for hunting clays, and not so much live game but would be nice to have that as an option also.

Wow, lots of good questions. I help coach a youth shotgun team so here is my opinion.

Hang out at a friendly club and ask people to use their guns. Most people are nice and will let you have a try. A good O/U like a Browning or Beretta can easily set you back $2500 so you want to make sure you get one that fits. I don't believe in the sub $1K O/U's and have the experiences to back that up. My son shoot a Cynergy Euro Sporting and it had done well by him.

Barrel length is not that important in the overall course of things but the 'proper' barrel length continues to grow. I've got 30" tube on my Citori and 32" are popping up more at the range. If you are looking at a general clays gun (not dedicated to trap or skeet) 30" will do fine.

3" shells will do fine for pheasant, chucker and other birds. 3 1/2 may be needed for long range duck and geese, but I'm not dragging my Browning into a wet duck blind.

Adjustable combs can make the gun more comfortable and allow you to modify the point of aim on the shotgun. Remember they can be added by a gunsmith for about $250 if you find a gun you like and it doesn't offer an adjustable comb.

Your profile says Shrewsbury, you would do yourself well to drop by and see Mark H at Holliston Firearms

http://www.hollistonfirearms.com/Holliston_Firearms/Welcome.html

He has a nice selection of Browning shotguns

Wow, lots of good questions. I help coach a youth shotgun team so here is my opinion.

Hang out at a friendly club and ask people to use their guns. Most people are nice and will let you have a try. A good O/U like a Browning or Beretta can easily set you back $2500 so you want to make sure you get one that fits. I don't believe in the sub $1K O/U's and have the experiences to back that up. My son shoot a Cynergy Euro Sporting and it had done well by him.

Barrel length is not that important in the overall course of things but the 'proper' barrel length continues to grow. I've got 30" tube on my Citori and 32" are popping up more at the range. If you are looking at a general clays gun (not dedicated to trap or skeet) 30" will do fine.

3" shells will do fine for pheasant, chucker and other birds. 3 1/2 may be needed for long range duck and geese, but I'm not dragging my Browning into a wet duck blind.

Adjustable combs can make the gun more comfortable and allow you to modify the point of aim on the shotgun. Remember they can be added by a gunsmith for about $250 if you find a gun you like and it doesn't offer an adjustable comb.

Your profile says Shrewsbury, you would do yourself well to drop by and see Mark H at Holliston Firearms

http://www.hollistonfirearms.com/Holliston_Firearms/Welcome.html

He has a nice selection of Browning shotguns

Thanks for the information. I actually am in Milford now, and have been talking to Mark about it. I went to the club he was at the other day and tried his Cynergy he had there and the Citori. Both shot great, but I liked the feel of the Cynergy a little better. I have shot a few other over unders also (including my buddy's $1k Remington which felt sloppy compared to the Brownings) and may try to make it to my club's weekly clay shoot tomorrow night and see what people are shooting and try out some more options, but I do like how the Brownings feel and look so far.

If you look hard you may be able to find a Ruger, Browning, or Beretta in the low 1Ks used - Kittery usually has a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom