First Shotgun

I'm looking at buying my first shotgun. I really want one that i can use for hunting as well as home defense. I've been looking for a couple months now. Im looking at a 12 GA Remington 870 Express HD with an 18.5" barrel, 6 round... or a Mossberg 500 tactical with a 26" barrel, 8 round. Hunting deer and small game. I would like to be able to change out barrels for whatever i intend to do. Advice would be great!

Mossy 500 or Remy 870. The Mossberg's come in a combo that includes a rifled slug barrel and a bird barrel. You can hunt every game animal in new england with a shotgun with those barrels. Just change choke and or ammo. For HD just get an 18.5 inch defense barrel used.

You could consider a Benelli M4. It's pricey and much more biased towards a defense gun. Formidable one at that! Awesome gas piston system.
However, I bought 1 in 2014, got my first-time MA hunting license late last year, and I've been out with it for deer and turkey. There's a special Carlson's Benelli Mobil turkey choke you can buy- I bought a .650". It makes an awesome turkey gun. I bought rifled slugs for deer. Accurate as hell. I went out a few times for buck. The caveat is no barrel change; it's fixed. So it may not make the greatest skeet gun, and barrel probably not long enough for real game fowl in flight.

So basically you are saying this gun sucks for hunting anything that is not standing still! So why would he buy it? He GOING to hunt with it and has a less that 1% chance of using it for HD.

Op.....Get a mossy or remmy pump set up for hunting. Then slap a 18.5 in cylinder bore barrel on it when it's in the safe. Done.

I've been using a mossy 500 12 gauge for many years now. Snowshoe hare, duck, deer, squirrel, pheasant I have personally all harvested with the same gun. Leave the tactical shotguns for what they were designed for......The bedroom closet.

Last edited:
I have different shotguns for different applications, but if I were forced to chose only one shotgun to own, it would be the Remington 870 with 2 or 3 different barrel combos.

I just retired my late 1990's made Remington 11-87 as the main waterfowl gun, and replaced it with a Winchester SX4. Yeah, it's a pricey gun, but the legendary performance reviews of the Super X series shotguns are what brought me to that purchase. I'm hoping that will be the last waterfowl gun I ever buy.

I have different shotguns for different applications, but if I were forced to chose only one shotgun to own, it would be the Remington 870 with 2 or 3 different barrel combos.

I just retired my late 1990's made Remington 11-87 as the main waterfowl gun, and replaced it with a Winchester SX4. Yeah, it's a pricey gun, but the legendary performance reviews of the Super X series shotguns are what brought me to that purchase. I'm hoping that will be the last waterfowl gun I ever buy.

I've heard the super x is great. I've considered for awhile now getting a new semi auto. But every time I go in the field with my beat up 500 I have fond memories of all the hunting I've done with my son with that gun. It works well on everything. If I had a new gun Is probably leave it in the safe anyway.

I've heard the super x is great. I've considered for awhile now getting a new semi auto. But every time I go in the field with my beat up 500 I have fond memories of all the hunting I've done with my son with that gun. It works well on everything. If I had a new gun Is probably leave it in the safe anyway.

My 11-87 has served me very well. Killed my first deer with it (my first day ever deer hunting, no less). Killed my first duck with it. Killed my first goose with it. I decided I wanted something lighter, and with the capability for 3.5" shells (though I would use those for goose only, and honestly 3" is fine as long as you're not trying to hit them at 60+ yards). Fun new things that are popping up in my late 30's include arthritis in my lower and mid back so I need to try to lighten my gear load for those wader-equipped hikes out to the marsh. The SX4 is waaaay lighter than the 11-87. I'm still debating whether I should just sell the 11-87 or keep it for sentimental value's sake.

Mossy 500 or Remy 870. The Mossberg's come in a combo that includes a rifled slug barrel and a bird barrel. You can hunt every game animal in new england with a shotgun with those barrels. Just change choke and or ammo. For HD just get an 18.5 inch defense barrel used.

Did exactly that! went with the 500. I'm pretty excited to get out hunting soon!

Did exactly that! went with the 500. I'm pretty excited to get out hunting soon!

Go shoot some trap. That'll get you used to where it points and how to snap shoot. Start at low ready when you call clays.......You don't hunt rabbits and small game walking around with a gun mounted to your face. Enjoy.

My 500 looks like it's been dragged behind a truck. I've spent plenty of time in the field with it. All character marks.

Go shoot some trap. That'll get you used to where it points and how to snap shoot. Start at low ready when you call clays.......You don't hunt rabbits and small game walking around with a gun mounted to your face. Enjoy.

My 500 looks like it's been dragged behind a truck. I've spent plenty of time in the field with it. All character marks.

I found an old spring loaded thrower at my friends house so hopefully its useable. Thanks for the advice! As long as it holds up like im expecting it to, ill be all set for a while. for the price, you cant beat it!

If you want to try your luck at hunting before next waterfowl season, turkey starts at the end of April and goes on for just under a month. Don't ask me for tips on turkey hunting though, because I suck ass at it. [laugh] Rather, I just haven't had any luck finding spots that are legal to hunt where turkeys roam through. The sons of bitches roost in the woods behind me, and fly over my backyard, scaring the hell out of my dogs and chickens quite often though. They stalk my neighborhood every day and get in peoples' way on the roads. I found one standing on my truck last summer. There is a large piece of woods right next to my street but it's posted up proper. Can't step foot in there, let alone with a gun. [sad2]

I do love duck and pheasant hunting though.

I have the 870 Express Combo. Came with 21" rifled deer barrel, and 26" vent rib barrel, which I now have a selection of chokes for. I also added a Mossberg branded 18.5" home defense barrel for it. One gun. Three barrels. best of all worlds.

I really like the old wingmaster 870 I bought last year. Felt better built than the new production ones I tried and was only $260!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have the 870 Express Combo. Came with 21" rifled deer barrel, and 26" vent rib barrel, which I now have a selection of chokes for. I also added a Mossberg branded 18.5" home defense barrel for it. One gun. Three barrels. best of all worlds.

This is definitely what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks!+

Compared to Remington, Mossberg has a better shell lifter design, better location for the slide unlock, better location for the safety, etc. Oh, and Remington's quality control and customer service are horrible. Mossberg FTW!

I have an 870 Express Tactical Magpul Edition and I can't say I'm in love with it. It has a real hard time running cheaper ammo (it has particular issues with Winchester field loads). It also managed to mess up its own chamber somehow and I had to buy a replacement barrel about 1000 rounds in. It's running well at this point, but I can see why people who have been around a while gripe about the new Express models and rave about Police Magnums and Wingmasters.

Regarding your two choices, I'm a bit confused why there's an 18" and a 26" option. I can't fathom why anyone needs a shotgun barrel longer than 18.5". These days things like high speed cameras (to observe barrel whip) and more thorough testing have shown that longer barrels do nothing for accuracy. All you get is some velocity and sight radius. I shoot clays with my 18.5" tactical 870 with an ImpCyl choke. The fudds give me weird looks but it does the job the same as their guns. The advantage is that it also makes a great HD gun in that configuration.

I'd do some detailed research on 870s produced in the last 2 years before you buy one. I know Remington went through a low point in quality control and that my gun was from the era. Be sure that people with recent 870s and high round counts are saying good things. The gun's great past reputation means nothing because it was earned back when they were made better. That said, I own a brand new Marlin (made by Remington) and it's great. If anyone with a new 870 is complaining about it, I'd look at the Mossberg.

Back
Top Bottom