• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Shotgun

I'm looking at buying my first shotgun. I really want one that i can use for hunting as well as home defense. I've been looking for a couple months now. Im looking at a 12 GA Remington 870 Express HD with an 18.5" barrel, 6 round... or a Mossberg 500 tactical with a 26" barrel, 8 round. Hunting deer and small game. I would like to be able to change out barrels for whatever i intend to do. Advice would be great!

Cant go wrong with a Remington 870. My first shotgun was the 870 tactical magpul version and it was fantastic. Could hit a 12" steel plate with slugs at 100 yards with the ghost ring sights.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2015/8/11/remington-870-express-tactical-magpul/

Mossberg makes great shotguns too. If you are hunting you probably want the longer barrel unless you are going to swap barrels which it sounds like you are prepared to do.

Its a tough choice. I honestly would say go with one that you will use more often. If you will be hunting, trap shooting, etc go with the longer barrel. How often (knock on wood) do you really need the shotgun for home defense where you would want the shorter barrel? Especially if you have other guns. Otherwise pick the one that is easiest to swap a barrel on or whichever is cheaper to switch the barrel.

I dont hunt so I ended up with a standard manufacturing DP12 shotgun just to have fun with at the range so will let the hunters chime in.

Depending on your budget, if you want the Remington, look for an older Wingmaster or a Police and if you want the Mossberg, look at the 590s. They have some better components than the base models. Plenty of aftermarket barrels around to configure as you like.

Both are very good brands, it is going to come down to personal preference. I would get to a range and try both out and see what you like.

Also, be sure you know what the laws are on magazine limits when hunting.

I was looking at the Home Defense model at Dicks. Its on sale for $269 right now. I saw some info that you cant change out the barrel unless you modify the new barrel you wish to put on. I read an article that this is only on a handful of models. Not sure if this is true or not. Any input?

go buy the reminton 870 field/slug combo. it goes on sale often. best money I spent on a utilitarian "do all" shotgun

Although I now have a rem 870 20 guage youth for HD with mag extension. its small enough to move around easily and it packs as much punch as most 12g shells. A 1oz slug going 1500fps is 1oz going 1500fps no matter what barrel it comes out of.

if you buy the combo with the scope sell the scope on ebay for 50$

I like the safety location on the Mossbergs. I have an old 870 Wingmaster set up for HD but that safety always bothers me. Having it up where you can hit it with your thumb is nicer on the Mossbergs. I'm somewhat on the fence about just making the switch and being done with it.

My vote is Mossberg 500 or 590.

I had an 870 for a little while needed to sell it for financial reasons and then I bought an FNH P12.
Oh my god the difference in the feel and quality between the two is night and day.
For the money it's awesome value.
IMG_0980.jpg

Next question.... 26" or 28" barrel? hunting for small game, waterfowl at some point, skeet shooting, deer, messing around and HD. I will be buying different barrels when the time comes but for this purchase.

try to find yourself any shotgun that includes two barrels. ideally a shorter barrel with no choke and a longer barrel with threading to swap out your chokes. you will save $$ if you purchase the shotgun with both barrels up front. if you buy just one shotgun with plans on purchasing a new barrel down the road, it often ends up being more expensive.

remington, mossberg, pretty much everyone offers these packages.

- - - Updated - - -

Next question.... 26" or 28" barrel? hunting for small game, waterfowl at some point, skeet shooting, deer, messing around and HD. I will be buying different barrels when the time comes but for this purchase.

my only hunting has been turkey, and there my experience has been that 26 or 28" really doesn't matter. more important are the type of choke and load that's used. an extra full turkey choke with 3" magnum turkey load provides more than enough shwack to take care of a turkey (and have some margin of error should the shot be suboptimal).

for turkeys being fully camo'ed out probably helps even more than the shotgun setup. if your'e planning to hunt turkey i would avoid a black "tactical" looking shotgun. the little turkey bastards require camo to approach you. my only suggestion would be to avoid autoloaders. the last thing I need after taking a shot with my adrenaline pumping is to have another round feed itself into the chamber. not necessary and just a liability for me...again this is all personal preference.

The wood furniture is easily changed out too?
Not sure why you'd want to change out the furniture, but it is usually easy to replace the stock.
I saw some info that you cant change out the barrel unless you modify the new barrel you wish to put on. I read an article that this is only on a handful of models. Not sure if this is true or not. Any input?
If you buy a package with both barrels, the gun will be set up for an easy and quick barrel swap, usually no tools required to swap barrels, but not all barrels are interchangeable with all pump/mag tube hardware, even within the Mossberg 500 line there are several different magazine tube lengths and at least two different pump/action bar setups.

For example, all three of these guns have had barrels swapped around, but to do so I needed to also swap out the magazine tube:
attachment.php

You could consider a Benelli M4. It's pricey and much more biased towards a defense gun. Formidable one at that! Awesome gas piston system.
However, I bought 1 in 2014, got my first-time MA hunting license late last year, and I've been out with it for deer and turkey. There's a special Carlson's Benelli Mobil turkey choke you can buy- I bought a .650". It makes an awesome turkey gun. I bought rifled slugs for deer. Accurate as hell. I went out a few times for buck. The caveat is no barrel change; it's fixed. So it may not make the greatest skeet gun, and barrel probably not long enough for real game fowl in flight.

You can't change out the barrel for the 870 tactical model (express??). I've been in this situation because my BIL got my wife one for her bday a few years ago and wanted to get a barrel for trap/ hunting and it won't work from what I have researched.

Not sure why you'd want to change out the furniture, but it is usually easy to replace the stock.

If you buy a package with both barrels, the gun will be set up for an easy and quick barrel swap, usually no tools required to swap barrels, but not all barrels are interchangeable with all pump/mag tube hardware, even within the Mossberg 500 line there are several different magazine tube lengths and at least two different pump/action bar setups.

For example, all three of these guns have had barrels swapped around, but to do so I needed to also swap out the magazine tube:
attachment.php

I like the black synthetic better than wood.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't change out the barrel for the 870 tactical model (express??). I've been in this situation because my BIL got my wife one for her bday a few years ago and wanted to get a barrel for trap/ hunting and it won't work from what I have researched.

ya thats what ive been looking up. most likely becuase they want it to be directed for Home Defense purposes to make money on it lol.

Can't go wrong with an older 870.

In fact - I never look at new shotguns. I have no use for a shotgun that isn't old enough to drink. Were I to get my first shotgun again, I'd look at:

Older 870s
Winchester 12
Auto 5
Remington 11s (same as the A5 but less refined)
Stevens 520 (sleeper gun - can be found for under $150, JMB design, awesome takedown system)
Savage 311 side by side
JC Higgins 1017 side by side

Since this is your first shotgun, I'd say go with either a 12 or 20. Then you can move into the realm of perfection and get a 16ga.

I'm going to be buying at Dick's sporting goods. On sale for $299, i have a $10 rewards coupon and now this rebate! Thanks a lot! so pumped! ....pun very intended

dicks had the 28" sporting and slug barrel with scope set up for like 489$ a week or so ago.
so a 50 rebate, 10$ card is 130$ more for barrel and scope. if you dont like the scope sell it for 50$ on ebay
Mossberg 500 combo with out scope was like 380$

I prefer Remington and would rather the slug barrel with the iron sights vs a scope. but thats just me.

the advntage to the remington package with a scope is its a rifled barrel and you can get some very good accuracy out of the rifled barrels with Sabot slugs night and day vs a smooth bore slug barrel.

dicks had the 28" sporting and slug barrel with scope set up for like 489$ a week or so ago.
so a 50 rebate, 10$ card is 130$ more for barrel and scope. if you dont like the scope sell it for 50$ on ebay
Mossberg 500 combo with out scope was like 380$

I prefer Remington and would rather the slug barrel with the iron sights vs a scope. but thats just me.

the advntage to the remington package with a scope is its a rifled barrel and you can get some very good accuracy out of the rifled barrels with Sabot slugs night and day vs a smooth bore slug barrel.

Know anyone interested in the scope for $50? Just picked up the mossberg 500 combo

I guess I'm too into antiques these days. I have a Mossberg 590 - it's new but not my favorite. I have a Winchester Model 12 pump 12 bore 28" bbl full choke that I bought on consignment years ago for 60 bucks - absolute treasure. Next fav is a Winchester Model 1897 12 bore pump with a 20" cylinder choke - 100 bucks back in the 70s. (Both were made in 1918)

Try looking at old vs new - there is something charming to my eyes about the old shotguns. I also prefer walnut and steel to plastic and aluminum.

Cheers and good hunting!

Just picked up the mossy 500 deer / field combo from dicks $379 Gotta get rid of the scope. Compared to the 870, it seemed lighter, more compact and I definitely liked the safety on the top of the receiver. It even came with a rubber cheek piece. Thanks for everybody's advice!

Just picked up the mossy 500 deer / field combo from dicks $379 Gotta get rid of the scope. Compared to the 870, it seemed lighter, more compact and I definitely liked the safety on the top of the receiver. It even came with a rubber cheek piece. Thanks for everybody's advice!

You will need a scope as that set up has no sights.

Back
Top Bottom