• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First run in new reloading setup

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Finally have my reloading bench all set up in my new house. I moved in about 16 months ago and have been using my stored up ammo but I am now running low and needed to start a few caliber runs.
It is amazing how fast you can go back into production on a Dillon XL650 with dedicated tool heads all set up for specific calibers/loads. I have had my Dillon for 5 - 6 years and have made 80k plus rounds through it so far.
My go to range ammo is 9mm, 115gr RN fmj with 4.4gr of Titegroup and a COL of 1.120.
In this photo I have run about 1300 through so far out of 6k.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 71
Its nice to have dedicated space...
Everytime I save up for a progressive press I either need powder/primers/bullets or a interesting gun comes along.

My new basement has a utility room that is 26x20 so I built a Bench that is 8' x 3' with a Pacific Birch finish plywood 3/4" top.
I also built a 10' x 10' "Gun Room" in the utility room with a solid core, steel encased door with 2" dead bolt lock. This way I can keep the components in the room along with my safe etc...
The room was built with plywood exterior walls for additional security and also I can add shelves easily at any point on the walls.
If it wasn't for the room and the bench I would have been reloading about 6 months ago.

115gr RN fmj with 4.4gr of Titegroup and a COL of 1.120

That seems pretty hot to me? I reload 147gr RN and 3.2gr of titegroup and always make 125 Powerfactor. How fast are your rounds going? Must be cookin...

Ever any signs of over pressure?

Nice.
The plan this fall is to move all my reloading stuff from the garage to the upstairs attic/storage, and go "full semi retard" and finally get a 650.
i set up in a spare bed room. have a nice bench ~12' long lagged to one wall, my safe is in there, everything gun related. i mounted a flammable cabinet on the concrete outside wall in the stairwell to the cellar for powder storage but keep the primers upstairs in that room. i do go overboard with the powder, have about 30 lbs of various powders at the moment. i mounted a grounding wire used in static free manufacturing areas, i strap it to my ankle. i use it mostly in winter when the static gets out of hand. or i'm running the ac. it's a professional unit i procured when i worked in a circuit board shop, works well and gives me peace of mind. i mentioned in another post that the only change i made to the room was i replaced the hollow plywood door with a solid door with a decent lock. i also bought one of those kits that reinforces the door opening with steel from lowes. yeah, it's good to have a dedicated reloading area.

That seems pretty hot to me? I reload 147gr RN and 3.2gr of titegroup and always make 125 Powerfactor. How fast are your rounds going? Must be cookin...

Ever any signs of over pressure?
I haven't chrony'ed the fps so I am not sure. No signs of over pressure. I go by how the gun cycles, usually starting well below max load and then moving up a bit to see where the load is most "responsive" without damaging.
Here is the load data from the Hogdon website;
upload_2019-7-4_8-0-4.png
My 4.4gr feels very responsive in both my 92FS and H&K VP9 and isn't even at the starting weight listed above.

Here is the load data from the Hogdon website;

When I run by 3.2gr Titegroup/147gr RN through my STI or my p320 X5 there is almost no recoil and they always come out to about 930fps. Usually I load to 1.150 COL with Berrys. You can shoot really fast and still stay on target with a well sprung gun and light loads. Although they probably arnt worth a shit for anything but punching holes in paper. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom