First rounds off of the reloading press

I picked up a Lee Loadmaster a few weeks ago in a deal I wasn't expecting, and picked up the bits to make some ammunition. Spent the last week mounting, setting up, and working out the bugs.

Last night was the first run that I had everything dialed in and pulled the first 20 rounds off if it in 9mm [smile]

I'll be running these through my XD this morning, and if everything runs right, start running some more off tonight.

Th
8ana8aba.jpg

The biggest issue I had was the powder measure. Using the Pro auto disk, and the micrometer charge bar, I could not get the thing to throw Red Dot worth a damn. It just wouldn't pick up from the hopper consistently. Most drops would be 1/10 of desires charge, and one out of 5 would be correct. I switched back to the disks, found my charge weight, and the thing ran like a champ. I know Lee isn't the NES favorite, but has anyone had this issue with the micrometer charge bar?

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

Last edited:
Titegroup might run better thru it. I hear there are rpoblems w/ some powders. I have not set up my loadmaster yet, just started 9 with the turret.

I have no issues with my adjustable charge bar other than it doesn't like some larger stick powders, but this is not an issue limited to Lee. All presses have some powders they won't throw nicely.

It's funny, the night before it ran well with the adjustable. I was working on stuff and ran a bunch of drops and they were very consistent. I'd love to be running Titegroup or W231, but they're impossible to find. Heading up to cabelas today with a friend, maybe I'll find a little better powder, but then again, if these rounds choot fine, I'll burn through that Red Dot, as I have boolits and brass to make a pretty good amount of rounds in .45 and 9mm.

I have only been using the disks in mine and as others said, W231, HP-38, AA#7 & AA2230 all meter well through them. I have been meaning to get the adjustable bar the next time I have to order something, but I still have 4+ pounds of HP-38. I stocked up on my last order and now that it is hockey season, I help with my sons team, I haven't had much reloading time.

That or HP-38 is on the list. I had titegroup and Unique and TG meterered better thru the chargemaster and shot better.

HP-38 was the firstpowder I loaded with 9mm, very happy with it and meters very well in my 550b even when it is almost out. I have jugs of Unique and Titegroup to try next. I want to try and work up loads for a half a dozen or so powders for 9mm. That way when the warmer weather starts I can shoot more and worry less.

We'll, ran them all through my XD. Had a squib, and that rattled me a little in that I need to make sure I'm checking the powder in every round. Other than that, flawless function, and as accurate as it could be with me shivering in 7 degree temps [thinking]

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

Just a thought but I had read that if the hopper is not installed on the auto disc measure that it will throw inconsistent charges. I also read that it needs some break in time as well. I'm about to get started with a new one myself and have the same setup with the micro charge bar.

Yeah, I read the info about break in as well. I'm gonna run a bunch of 9mm, them when I switch to .45, I'll try out the micrometer measure again. I'll be able to see if these new rounds are really accurate,

I never cared for the adjustable charge bar on the lee powder measure. I prefer the regular disks. I used to leave my press a little loose on the loading bench so the entire press would shake when operating the handle. It helps fill the disk with powder and it helps the powder drop into the case. I've since switched to using Hornady powder measures on my Loadmaster.

We'll, ran them all through my XD. Had a squib, and that rattled me a little in that I need to make sure I'm checking the powder in every round. Other than that, flawless function, and as accurate as it could be with me shivering in 7 degree temps [thinking]

You need to pay more attention when reloading. The squib round is an issue and should have been picked up when you were making them. I double check everything when I am reloading. I don't weigh every drop but I do put an eyeball on them to make sure they look right and I pull one out once in a while to weigh the charge. A squib is not catastrophic as long as you catch it. A double charge may not be as forgiving.

You need to pay more attention when reloading. The squib round is an issue and should have been picked up when you were making them. I double check everything when I am reloading. I don't weigh every drop but I do put an eyeball on them to make sure they look right and I pull one out once in a while to weigh the charge. A squib is not catastrophic as long as you catch it. A double charge may not be as forgiving.

This I know. I was frustrated with the initial set up of the press and did not stop to set my process in stone. Having the squib now was a good thing though. When I sat down at the press the next time, I methodically worked out my process and stuck to it religously(with particular attention to the powder charge when I set the bullet on the case). Finished off the first 500 of 9mm last night, and will be working on some .45 next week. Once I got the press set up and running right, I fell into a rhythm that allowed 200 rounds per hour without being in any sort of hurry.

This I know. I was frustrated with the initial set up of the press and did not stop to set my process in stone. Having the squib now was a good thing though. When I sat down at the press the next time, I methodically worked out my process and stuck to it religously(with particular attention to the powder charge when I set the bullet on the case). Finished off the first 500 of 9mm last night, and will be working on some .45 next week. Once I got the press set up and running right, I fell into a rhythm that allowed 200 rounds per hour without being in any sort of hurry.
I have that same press and it seems to require a lot of fiddling to keep it running smooth. I do 45, 223 and 243 on it.

Back
Top Bottom