• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First rifle for a 10 year old - Rascal or Scout or?

Ipe

My son is about to turn 10 and instead of the customary x-box or other do nothing toy I was considering getting him a rifle of his own. Right now we shoot at MFS and they have a Savage Rascal that he loves. I like it too. It shoots nicely despite it being tiny. It seems to be a good, quality rifle with a really nice trigger. My only hesitation is that as I see it, he's going to outgrow the thing in no time. It fits him perfectly now, but whats it going to be like in nine months?

As an alternate choice I was considering a CZ-452 Scout. I don't know a ton about this rifle but it seems to get good marks for build quality and accuracy. Its more expensive, probably a third again more than the Rascal. Is the Scout worth it? I don't mind paying more for higher quality as its still in what I'd consider a reasonable budget.

I like shooting at MFS but its limiting. I'd like an outdoor rifle range so I'll be looking into finding another club soon. When we find another club he'll need a rifle to shoot so thats part of the reasoning behind getting him his own rifle.

So, anyway, if anyone has thoughts on getting a boy his first rifle or is familiar with the Scout I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

When I was around his age, my dad got me, my brother, and himself a Marline 22 bolt action to share. I don't remember it ever feeling too large then, and I still shoot it now. You could shoot it single shot, and give him the magazine to use once you trust him with it. I avoid remington and marlin like the plague now cuz of how they are run. I recently bought myself a savage left hand 22 bolt action. Absolutely love it.

Not saying the rascal is a bad idea. Great idea for a kid. Single shot. Sized properly. If you want a gift that he'll use forever, I say go normal size bolt action. If you want something perfect for the moment and dont mind upgrading later, get the rascal.

As I just typed that, I thought about how he will definitely want to upgrade from a single shot at some point, and a quality bolt action 22 with a magazine will serve a lifetime.

For more info on the Scout, check out RimfireCentral.com. Best site of rimfire. There's a huge CZ following there.

I have a ten-year old son (and an eight year old daughter). Both have been shooting for two or three years now. Started with a Cricket. Wish I had started with the Rascal. The cricket is pretty rough. But, they both out-grew it quick. They got bored and frustrated with the single load. Son moved to my wife's CZ 452. Problem is that the LoP is still a touch long. Ended up getting both of them 10/22 Compacts. I've got a couple of 10/22s already so the standardization was nice. We considered getting him a CZ Scout, but went with the 10/22 instead. Personal preference. Just something else to consider.

Aloha

As I just typed that, I thought about how he will definitely want to upgrade from a single shot at some point, and a quality bolt action 22 with a magazine will serve a lifetime.

This is what I was thinking and one of the reasons I like the CZ-452 Scout. It seems to offer a lot of flexibility

M1 garand...never gets old

seriously, a remington nylon 66

Not familiar with the Remington 66. I'll take a look.

For more info on the Scout, check out RimfireCentral.com. Best site of rimfire. There's a huge CZ following there.

I have a ten-year old son (and an eight year old daughter). Both have been shooting for two or three years now. Started with a Cricket. Wish I had started with the Rascal. The cricket is pretty rough. But, they both out-grew it quick. They got bored and frustrated with the single load. Son moved to my wife's CZ 452. Problem is that the LoP is still a touch long. Ended up getting both of them 10/22 Compacts. I've got a couple of 10/22s already so the standardization was nice. We considered getting him a CZ Scout, but went with the 10/22 instead. Personal preference. Just something else to consider.

Aloha

I had looked at RimFireCentral and that's where I learned about the Scout. I didn't want to prejudice the responses so I figured that it would be better to just see where this went.

I have considered the MP 15-22 and the 10/22 compact. I don't have a 10/22 currently so there's no legacy equipment to push me that way. On the other hand I really want an MP 15-22 for me. He could use that but with the stupid Suckachusetts laws and the pinned stock it would never be really comfortable for me. When we're at MFS he always wants to shoot the Rascal more than any of the other rimfire options. He's says he really likes the bolt action vs. semi-auto. Those two things are whats steering me away from the 10/22.

Thanks for the input.

Just picked up a used Marlin 765 .22 rifle for the kids from a member here recently, they love it.

I've seen the Marlin 795 @ Dicks for $195.00 new.

If he prefers the bolt, go for the CZ. Personal prefence is the key to any decision. I agree that the CZ gives you better expansion options.

Aloha

I had my son shoot my 10/22 when he was 9 which he did very well with. He also shot my 17HMR bolt very well but the one he loved was the AR-15 on 5.56. I fear purchasing jr stuff because kids outgrow these things and the resale is not good. having current low impact stuff kinds of equalizes the equation :)[grin]

I'm 32 and love my 10/22. I've taken beginners and experts to the range and everyone has had a blast with it. A 10/22 could be a rifle your son has for a very long time...

I had my son shoot my 10/22 when he was 9 which he did very well with. He also shot my 17HMR bolt very well but the one he loved was the AR-15 on 5.56. I fear purchasing jr stuff because kids outgrow these things and the resale is not good. having current low impact stuff kinds of equalizes the equation :)[grin]

Looking on the RimFireCentral CZ boards I see that lots of people have swapped the Scout stock for an adult sized stock with little or no issues. That had been my plan, to swap out the stock when he got older. FWIW the CZ 452 Scout is the rifle Wild West Alaska used as a base when they built their "survival rifle" (episode 7 according to my search on da interwebs). FWIW II - My son loves this show. [laugh]

I'm 32 and love my 10/22. I've taken beginners and experts to the range and everyone has had a blast with it. A 10/22 could be a rifle your son has for a very long time...

I know that LOTS of people have a lot of love for the 10/22. One of the key reasons I'm not heading in that route is he keeps insisting that he prefers shooting the bolt action savage over any of the others, including the MP 15-22 with the stock collapsed.

What about a BB or pellet gun? Then he can shoot in the back yard.

We've got a Ruger Explorer pellet rifle that we use all the time in the back yard. The pellet trap gets a workout. [smile]
Last time we were at Cabelas he comes back to me with a package of fancy blue tipped conical supper killy pellets at the low, low price of something like $12 for 100 pellets. I told we'd just stick with the $4 for 250 pellet tins for right now. [shocked] After burning through a bunch of tins he's already got a preference for the Gamo MasterPoints over the Gamo Magnums. The MP's are more accurate according to my resident expert.

We went with a Marlin bolt .22 and an M&P15-22.

I have a feeling that no matter what I do now a MP 15-22 will be coming home eventually. I love shooting that gun.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I appreciate it.

FWIW, My son is 11 and I just went through the same situation. Maybe you can get something out of my experience but every kid is different and your results may vary.
Initially I had my son learn the ropes on a break-open pellet rifle. He loved it, learned the importance of safety, how to use the sights and hit the target. However, he quickly outgrew it in a couple of months. Next, I had him try my 10/22 and all his aiming discipline went out the window and he became a mag dumper. To slow him down, I picked up a 22 youth rifle (Thanks Mike T) and he again slowed down enough to nail the ten ring. Problem was, he got bored with it until I picked up a lever 22 replacing the 22 bolt rifle. Home run. It's now his favorite and now it always comes with the 10/22 on range trips.

I started my grandkids out on a Cricket, then upgraded them all to Henrys. You won't find a better bang for the buck than a Henry H001 lever gun. VERY nicely made and reasonably priced.

I was going to suggest trying out a Henry then saw this. I got one for my then 11yo brother. It continues to be a range favorite with everyone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Got my boy mp 15-22. Good gun
3e3yzu3e.jpg

Not sure where you are located but we would be more than happy to host you and your son (In Hopkinton or Southborough) and let him try out a variety of what we have and see what fits him. Cricket (in lovely tactical hot pink cammo!), Henry Youth 22 lever action, S&W 15-22 or a Ruger 10-22. My daughters are 9 and 12 and both tend to gravitate to the 15-22. My oldest really likes the Henry tho.

CZ scout is the way to go. My daughter got bored quick of loading one round at a time and quickly went to the 10 roun magazine. The thing is a very accurate small rifle. She is 8 and can hit a 22 spinner at 50 yards with open sights

I'd stay away from the youth sized guns he's going to outgrow them fast. A savage bolt gun, or Henry lever are a good starter. If you want to slow him way down, the NEF sporters in 22 are really surprisingly accurate. My first rifle was a Winchester 69, which is almost full size. And a good way to start. Just wish I had taken better care of it.

my son is 9 and a lefty. He's not a fan of the bolts because of the lefty logistics, but loves to shoot my M&P 15-22, as well as my Ruger 10/22.

I don't think there is a "wrong" choice, other than choosing not to take him to the range!

Good luck.

I am not a fan of the little youth sized guns as they get outgrown pretty quick. I would look at the Savage or Marlin bolts full size. If the stock is too long then cut it down and get another one as they grow. They may also make a youth stock for it.

Consider the used rack at your LGS. I convinced my parents to donate my grandfather's childhood .22. My older son and I repaired and refinished the rifle and the rifle now has a special family connection.

There are some very well made rifles for small money out there that could use a little love.

I started my grandkids out on a Cricket, then upgraded them all to Henrys. You won't find a better bang for the buck than a Henry H001 lever gun. VERY nicely made and reasonably priced.

X2......my 11 year old loves the one I got for him for Christmas.....and I enjoy shooting it too!

I bought a rascal with the wood stock for the 12yo. Loves it and its a tack driver. love the accutriger. I can even shoot it so it serves as a good shtf option. It is short but if i shoot it well being twice the reach, it can't be out grown just repurposed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom