• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First rifle for 13 year boy ?

I'd look at the Savage bolt action or the Henry lever action. Either one in .22 LR. If you reload, you can look at bigger more versatile calibers that you can load down for now.

That looks really good, hadn't heard of those. My 10 year old is big, wonder if it makes sense to get a small rifle like that or just a full size like a CZ 455 or something?

I assume they use the bolt pull back design cause it's probably safer, easier to see at a glance if it's ready to shoot?

Buy him an AR15 and thirty magazines. He just might be standing a post protecting your ass in the very near future. DON'T handicap him right from the get go.

If you look at the top shooters in the military I bet they started on .22s or bolt action hunting rifles.

My personal experience with this - even though I said CZ457 earlier

I got my son a CZ Scout when he was about 10. I figured I could put it in a full size stock and even replace the barrel when he out grew it.

I also got a Henry Lever 22.

I really thought he'd gravitate toward the Henry, since his favorite nerf and toy guns were lever action.
But he loved working the bolt on the CZ and he was accurate with it.

When he did outgrow it, I realized that he was kind of sentimental about his first rifle, so I didn't want to change it. He had mentioned that he wanted to keep it as it and give it to his kids eventually.

So I got the CZ 457 Varmint and dropped it in the XLR chassis. He loves this setup too.

When I ask him what he wants to take to the range... it's always the bolt action and the AR22 SBR. He never asks to take the lever.

Appreciate the replies.

Henry claims to have sold over 1,000,000 of their lever guns in .22 and it being able to shoot s/l/lr makes it something I will look into along with the others mentioned, how difficult is it to clean the Henry ?
It's not hard to clean at all. I've never even done a full disassembly. You can get the important parts just by opening the lever and using Ballistol spray and q tips. Had it like 8 years and never done a disassembly. Runs fine.

I started both my kids off with my old Chipmunk .22 - about the same size as the Cricket.

Both outgrew the gun by the time they were 8. That sized gun isn't really "youth", it's more "little kid" with emphasis on "little".

My 13 year old daughter has taken possession of my 10/22 as her range toy, with a lever action .357 for deer and my 9 year old son so far has leaned farther into shotguns (bye bye 20ga SxS, I'll miss you) as more fitting for small game hunting. He skipped the .22 rifle and went to .243Win as his deer gun.

I think the Savage A22 is a far better rifle than the MKII. That being said, henry lever action 22 with the small loop and 18 inch barrel is my suggestion.

22 Magnum, he's 13 and will be into a 6.5 CM before you know it.

I used to hate everything about the mere idea of a grownass man shooting .22LR. But after some reflection (and being all out of 6.5 Creed and .223 FGMM) I can see where that caliber is useful for practicing fundamentals. I am looking at something I can get a chassis for. I don’t have Vudoo money, so I’m looking at CZ and Christensen right now, as well as the Tikka TS1X (Front runner right now).

At first I was humbled by my new CZ 457 precision varmint. The rifle is not the problem. It was the shooter... me!

It forced me back to basics. Breathing, focus, trigger pull, follow through. I'm shooting 1/2" groups with it at 50 yards with bipod.

.22 can be very humbling indeed.

I agree with no Semi-Auto for first gun, but definitely 10/22 for second. First should be bolt or (my choice) Lever. Both Henry and Browning (BL-22) will shoot .22 short, long, long rifle. One shot at a time will teach better aiming skills. I think both are pretty expensive though. Browning Micro Midas (Youth) - $620 MSRP BL-22 Grade I or Field Grade I - $700 MSP

I used to hate everything about the mere idea of a grownass man shooting .22LR. But after some reflection (and being all out of 6.5 Creed and .223 FGMM) I can see where that caliber is useful for practicing fundamentals. I am looking at something I can get a chassis for. I don’t have Vudoo money, so I’m looking at CZ and Christensen right now, as well as the Tikka TS1X (Front runner right now).

I got my son the CZ and put it in the XLR chassis... it was so much fun to shoot, that I got the T1x and put it in the exact same chassis. It was a blast to shoot too, but the CZ was nicer.

I decided to sell the Tikka and now I'm waiting for the Bergara B14R Left Handed to show up. I have my name on a few lists, and they have hit some stores, but the supply is just trickling in. So hopefully, I'll have that in the next few months.

The Tikka is unobtainium right now. I have an eye on the KRG Bravo chassis, but XLR sure makes nice stuff.

Picking a "first" .22 rifle for your kid is like taking a toddler to the shoe store. Let him try on everything, then settle for the best one he likes in YOUR price range...

1628642157149.png

a real antique winchester 62 or 1906

best 22's ever made, ever

just don't try and put a scope on it. Tang sight is OK though.

That's exactly what I started with. Need to see if I can wheedle Dad into giving me my grandfather's. It's how I want to start my daughter when she's old enough, too.

Otherwise she'll start with my Henry lever gun. Or I'll cave at some point and buy her a cricket or something. Donno, that's a few years away so I'm not too concerned about it yet.

Another vote for Savage Mark II. We bought one for our eldest and all three kids learned on it. It still gets regular use by tye wife and I for varmint control. A very dependable and accurate gun even with the stock irons. Has holes for scope mounting if desired, but I would start with irons.

That's exactly what I started with. Need to see if I can wheedle Dad into giving me my grandfather's. It's how I want to start my daughter when she's old enough, too.

Otherwise she'll start with my Henry lever gun. Or I'll cave at some point and buy her a cricket or something. Donno, that's a few years away so I'm not too concerned about it yet.
Who could possibly say no to "hey dad, remember grampa's rifle you started me on as a kid? It's almost time to teach your granddaughter, and I'd love to continue the tradition..."

Back
Top Bottom