• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Purchase!

cb1

As some of you that browse the MA Gun Laws forum may already know, I recently got my LTC A in the mail.

I picked up my first pistol today while doing some "christmas shopping".

Now all I have to do is decided whether or not I want the $50 or two free mags. I'll probably go with the mags.

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

I went to Roach's Sporting Goods in Cambridge. I'll throw my two cents into the existing thread if anyone is interested.

Congratulations! A fine first purchase. Get the mags.

I'm having my M&P .40 worked on right now (trigger, night sights) and can't wait to get it back.

Trigger weight

I have the M&P in 9mm and want to get the trigger worked on too. I checked out Greg Derr's site and have no idea what trigger weight I would want it at as I have never had a trigger job done. How would I figure this out? Do you vary your trigger weight based on the gun or are all your guns worked to about the same weight? Thanks.

I have the M&P in 9mm and want to get the trigger worked on too. I checked out Greg Derr's site and have no idea what trigger weight I would want it at as I have never had a trigger job done. How would I figure this out? Do you vary your trigger weight based on the gun or are all your guns worked to about the same weight? Thanks.

It depends what you want to do with it and what you're comfortable with. If you plan to carry it you may want it heavier than a range only or competition gun. A gunsmith would ask what you wanted to use in addition to how heavy or light you want it. You can try my M&P9 full size that LaRocca did. Alex, also a Westford member, just got his M&P9c back from Greg Derr. I'm sure he'd let you try it also.

I have the .40 and had a trigger job done,it came back around 4.5lbs.I do use it for carry and would go another lb if I did it over.I have put around 3k rounds at least though threw it and its comfortable for me.Burwell did the job and it is very sweet.If you want to try mine we could meet at the range to see how a nice trigger feels.Some say that after 500 rounds it will lighten up,it wont

Last edited:
It depends what you want to do with it and what you're comfortable with. If you plan to carry it you may want it heavier than a range only or competition gun. A gunsmith would ask what you wanted to use in addition to how heavy or light you want it. You can try my M&P9 full size that LaRocca did. Alex, also a Westford member, just got his M&P9c back from Greg Derr. I'm sure he'd let you try it also.

Thanks a lot! I would love to try out a couple at different weights. I do intend to carry it (9c). Maybe you or Alex could send me a PM and we could arrange a time to meet. So nice of you to volunteer him!

You can get a new sear assy, trigger bar, and trigger return spring from Midway or Brownells for around $40 or so and replace them yourself pretty easily. I did it on my full size 40 and I'm by no means a gunsmith. I would do that first and then decide on whether or not to have a trigger job done.

I suggest this route because I tried having the trigger job done on the standard MA trigger by a well respected gunsmith and it was just as crappy afterwards as is was before. Maybe I had a particularly bad one, don't know.

And no, I'm not going to name the smith because even though I had a bad experience I've heard from many people who have had great experiences with the same person. Just wanted to highlight that it's not always easy to fix this without changing parts.

PP, I'm at Westford also. You're welcome to try mine as well to see what the standard non MA trigger feels like in comparison.

Not sure how much time I have but I can try to work something out of you're interested.

Nice buy! There is something so sexy about a nice black gun.

Now you need to get this to complete the set:
811001_thumb.jpg

I shot the 9mm M&P at the pumpkin shoot and it felt pretty nice in the hand. The trigger was horrid though.

Next on the shopping list should be ammo, mags, and a good trigger job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom