• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First post; glad to find this place

Picton

NES Member
All,

It's nice to find this kind of community in what most people seem to think of as a firearms wasteland. I'm a longtime milsurp enthusiast from my Army days in North Carolina; I've got to say that buying weapons there was a whole lot less complicated.

I've got a couple of British .303 bolt-action rifles (a non-matching No1 Mk III, made in Australia in 1918 and a matching No 5 Mk I from 1946), a non-matching M1 carbine (SUCH fun to shoot), an old Vzor 50 made for the Yugoslavian secret police, a "war finish" Webley Mk IV in .38, and (my only "modern" weapon) a stock Remington R1.

Looking forward to getting to know some folks here. I'm still feeling my way around the forum, so I'll see if I can get some pics posted.

Welcome. I have always found the folks here to be the friendliest and most helpful group of gun collectors on the web.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your nice collection. Just remember, pictures are always encouraged.

Thanks, all; I'm assuming I can post pics from Photobucket or someplace similar? I'm looking at "going green" as soon as I can.

welcome to the NES brother/sister hood. You have some nice guns. You should be able to just post pics right from your computer. the third icon from the right about where you type replies is an inser image icon. Real simple. lets see some of those babies and def go green!

Gone green. That didn't take long. Now, let's see if I can post a picture...
Arsenal.jpg
Ah. There. Hopefully, y'all can make that bigger.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

More details when you get the chance please. That looks like a nice Webley Mk IV 38 and a WWI Lithgow. Is the stock on the Lithgow Australian?

What flavor M1 Carbine is that? I have a soft spot for those also.

Inland Mfg (Dayton, OH) for the barrel and action; September 1943. The stock set is obviously a lot newer. It's a Blue Sky I picked up in Fayetteville circa 1999.

I just bought some ammo for it last weekend; I remember .30 carbine being a lot cheaper Down South.

More details when you get the chance please. That looks like a nice Webley Mk IV 38 and a WWI Lithgow. Is the stock on the Lithgow Australian?

Yeah, a coachwood stock. It's a "bitser" (made up later, from parts), but for $100 I didn't care. I doubt the bbl and action ever saw active service, they're in such excellent shape. It's got the mag cut-off slot, though the cut-off itself was never installed.

As for the Webley, it's the only gun I ever bought solely because I liked how it looked... and I still do. Such an elegant design, and I love how they were apologetic about a "war finish" that's still better than many modern commercial weapons.

Thanks for the interest. I haven't been doing much shooting since I moved here in '01, but now I'm getting back into the swing of things in a big way.

at least your local to a good club that you can test those nice gems out! reading rifle and revolver.

Well, no Mausers in the future for awhile; my re-plunge back into shooting is a lot for my wife to handle so far, so we're taking things slowly. Though she did actually shoot the M1 carbine in Vermont last month, so it's going well. But she doesn't need me lurching back into another expensive habit, money-wise. Besides, I shot a Mauser once and came away unimpressed. It might have just been the one I tried, but the cock-on-opening thing just felt wierd to me after my Enfields.

As for Reading Rifle... again, a somewhat cheaper option may be in the cards for me for now, plus there seems to be a monster waiting list.

Back
Top Bottom