• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Pistol

My first pistol was S&W 1911.Ive been spoiled the gun is so easy to shoot.At 25yards it's still easy to group close.But I carry the M&P in .40 since a trigger job by Burwell.At 4lbs its very acurate

I haven't found the exact, right, perfect carry gun. God help anyone who falls under my pile of "almost perfect" guns, they will be crushed for sure.

Hmmm.... do you think it would be an Improper Storage charge if 40 or 50 Handgun stored high on a shelf in a Tupperware container... all with pistol locks on them, fell on top of and killed a bad guy sneaking around in my gun room?

Don't forget the Beretta 92fs. Easy to shoot, accurate, and easy to take down/clean! I bought one for my first handgun and have no regrets... except I don't get to shoot it more often.[laugh]

Last edited:
I love my MKIII and also love my M&P9c, but the compact is MUCH harder to shoot well out past 15 yards....it suits its purpose well, though, and even though im thin as a rail and only 145# soaking wet, it conceals as if its not even there. Im not sure I would ever suggest a compact as a first gun.

S&W40

With the M&P.40, I'm focusing on quick target acquisition and accurate shot placement. It's not a "bulls-eye" type of gun for me. If you're into competitive shooting (something I'm contemplating), it may be more fun to use. But then, there are a lot more options to choose from. For that type of shooting, I'd want a 1911-style gun.

In retrospect, I think I probably should've held off for the compact M&P. The compact's capacity is the same (in MA), and its size more easily carried. Seems to me, the compact is just a more versatile option for my needs and uses. The full grip of my standard sized M&P surely helped me to get used to shooting though. With what I have invested in now, I've got two guns that allow me a lot of shooting options. Of course I want (need?) more, but I'm covered for now. A 1911 and snubby will find me eventually...
Last edited by pupchow : 03-02-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Take your M&P to Mike LaRocca in Worcester for a trigger job. I did and I love the gun now.
I tried the compact and didn`t like it. My thumb kept hitting the mag release when I shot a round.

I think that the Sigma gets a bad rap. It's the bastard step child of the S&W line...I personally don't care for the ones I have fired, but I don't like the M&P either. For the money, though I think the Sigma is hard to beat. The trigger pull will be heavy but will smooth out and you can always take the rebate money and put it towards a trigger job. It's a good enough pistol for the Afghan Forces so that ought to say something for it.

If you want simplicity and reliabilty consider a good used .357 or .38 Spl revolver by S&W, Colt (if you can find one) or Ruger. They make great first handguns. People forget that revolvers are real guns !

Mark L.

You might want to consider one of the semi auto pistols for which .22 conversion kits are available. Kits are available for Glock,Taurus,Beretta,Browning Hi Power,and the 1911's. There may be others but I'm not aware of any.

I concur. While it may not be exciting, take the time to save more money for your first purchase. During that time, try out as many handguns as you can. Then purchase a combo kit of the gun you like the best. This way you will develop muscle memory for the gun in question while shooting cheap .22.

If you buy a new gun, don't like it and sell it, you will loose roughly 50% of what you paid at a dealer. So try as many as you can prior to your purchase so you won't end up not liking it and selling it at a huge loss.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom