• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Pistol

Hey guys, spent some time up at Granite State range, Hudson, NH yesterday and was shooting my buddies G26, S&W 1911 and a rented G19.
I loved the G19, although I wasn't as accurate, it felt perfect in my hands. I'm a MA resident still waiting to hear back for my LTC but wanted to see what you all thought about a G19 as a first pistol? Anything else I should try? I fired a couple 22's before but they are beyond boring IMO.

Last edited:
Glock 19 is a great gun..enjoy it
there is several built in safeties...shouldn't concern you at all...unless you plan on pulling the trigger when your not supposed to...

Thanks for the responses!
Any insight on no safety? This is the only thing that concerns me a bit.

Actually with the safe action and the internal safeties, the Glock is one of the safest pistols around. Most modern striker polymer pistols don't come with external safeties these days and if they do, they are usually optional features. They have dropped Glocks from 4 story buildings, run over them with semi trucks and they never went off. Back when Glock was trying to sell their guns to the police, that was one of the biggest objections, well Glock proved time and time again, that they had a very safe pistol. So much so that it is the leading brand among police departments in the United States, and since coppers wouldn't buy a gun that they would deem safe because of lawsuits and such.

BTW did you ever see a revolver with a safety?

Well, my concern is gone :) Thanks guys!

Now any insight on persuading my fiance to get her LTC would be greatly appreciated! HAH
Weird thing is, I took her to the range and she had a ton of fun, but she doesn't want to own one herself or carry.

Now any insight on persuading my fiance to get her LTC would be greatly appreciated! HAH
Weird thing is, I took her to the range and she had a ton of fun, but she doesn't want to own one herself or carry.

she should get it anyway...even if she has no intention on carrying or shooting much...when i got mine i had my wife go for hers as well...knowing how to safely unload/make safe a firearm is a good thing to know as well as be in a better legal position having guns in your house...if she has access to them then she should be licensed cause if something goes down and she uses a firearm and she's not licensed, well that may not go too well in MA...there's also that whole thing about having spent shells in your possession being illegal, leave one in a car she's driving by accident or laying around the house could potentially get you jammed up...better safe than sorry

Last edited:
she should get it anyway...even if she has no intention on carrying or shooting much...when i got mine i had my wife go for hers as well...knowing how to safely unload/make safe a firearm is a good thing to know as well as be in a better legal position having guns in your house...if she has access to them then she should be licensed cause if something goes down and she uses a firearm and she's not licensed, well that's may not go to go well in MA...there's also that whole thing about having spent shells in your possession being illegal, leave one in a car she's driving by accident or laying around the house could potentially get you jammed up...better safe than sorry

This. Mine has no intentions on carrying anytime soon but her and I took the class together and got LTCs.

Hey guys, spent some time up at Granite State range, Hudson, NH yesterday and was shooting my buddies G26, S&W 1911 and a rented G19.
I loved the G19, although I wasn't as accurate, it felt perfect in my hands. I'm a MA resident still waiting to hear back for my LTC but wanted to see what you all thought about a G19 as a first pistol? Anything else I should try? I fired a couple 22's before but they are beyond boring IMO.
Yes, I know a dealer that will sell new Gen4 Glocks in MA.

Have you shot any of the other polymer framed guns yet?

I've found a lot of people shoot their first gun, and just like the idea so much of shooting they decide right then and there that "this is the gun for me".

Took my wife shopping for guns after she got her LTC and she was sure she wanted the G19, after shooting it, a PPS, and a SIG 226. "This is it!" she said firmly. Since then she's owned a M&P9, then M&P9c and now 5 years after she bought the G19 she is shooting and practicing with her H&K P30, something she never really did with the others.

I'd shoot as many as you can, before buy. And I'd shoot them all a couple times.

I live 5 minutes away from Granite State range, if you want to shoot a P30, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can meet you there.

Last edited:

My Wife had never even said the word "gun" until she met me. I took her to the range, and like your fiancé, she loved shooting. I didn't press the issue, but I told her it would be a good idea to get a license, just incase she needed to carry one of mine, or god forbid, ever needed to use one in defense. She now has a LTC-A and her own Walther Pk380.

I loved the G19, although I wasn't as accurate, it felt perfect in my hands. I'm a MA resident still waiting to hear back for my LTC but wanted to see what you all thought about a G19 as a first pistol? Anything else I should try?

Try and buy the H&K VP9. Although, preban 15 round mags are available for the G19. Buy both.

You can't go wrong with a G19, but you should also own a 22 they are very good firearms for training.

Very good choice, you could get the 19 and then if you want a .22 just get the advantage arms .22 coversion kit.

I do love the 19 alot.

take it slow..if you try to force the issue it can ugly fast

This..a couple years ago my wife wanted nothing to do with a gun. She just picked up her LTC last month. And even carried a few times. I'm even a little surprised myself.
I think after the initial ignorance was overcome, and some range time she felt safer with a gun in the house especially when I wasn't home and figured since we already have them she might as well have a license. If your wife already enjoys shooting just give it some time, she'll come around

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses!
Any insight on no safety? This is the only thing that concerns me a bit.

The simplest and best safety is to keep your finger off the trigger unless you want to shoot something/someone.

Jeff Cooper:
All guns are always loaded.
Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
NRAL:
ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

G19 good choice.

also M&P 9 with an apex kit installed, or if i were starting from scratch I would take a NIB M&P 9 and bring it to Lou at Business End Customs.

Back
Top Bottom