• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Pistol?

A possibility with a lot of win :

SigSauer 229 in 9mm or .40cal with a factory conversion 22 upper.
Ultra simple to switch back & forth. Keep the same controls , holster , etc. and learn with .22 ammo.

This is what I did. The first pistol I owned was a 229. I have yet to get the conversion kit, but why buy a separate .22 when you can have a good, reliable, carry pistol in .40 at the same time?

I don't know of any one making a .22 conversion kit for the M&P but it looks like Smith&Wesson is now making a .22 version of the M&P pistol.

I can't speak at MA compliance, and like others am unsure if you wish to carry right away or the duration between your first and seconds purchases.

If you wish to start with a .22LR - alternatively, you can buy a Sig as a "Classic 22" model, basically a P226 (or P229) frame with the .22LR side and mag. You can then add a 9MM or whatever slide (usually with night sites) for less than doing it in the other way around - buying a 9MM and adding the conversion.

Just thought I'd throw that out as an option.

Thanks for the additional thought guys. I'm planning to purchase the .22 and the compact 9 at the same time. I do plan to carry the 9 as soon as I've had some time with it at the range. Unfortunately I won't be able to carry on a regular basis since I work at a college.

I just past 11 weeks waiting in Fitchburg. I think Fitchburg is usually 8 to 9 weeks, but the licensing officer didn't send my prints in to start since I had an FID many many years ago and he said they would already have them on file. A few weeks later he said the state wanted updated prints, so I guess that delayed things. My Dad applied in Fitchburg 2 days after I did, and his came in a week and a half ago, so I'm really hoping and expecting mine will be in any day now.

Anyway, it gave me extra time to put a few bucks away, so I should be all set to pick up a couple guns, ammo, club membership, etc, as soon as I have the LTC in hand.

Thanks again for all the input.

There has been rumor of Smith making a full sized M&P .22 pistol... I'd like to see that.

They recently posted on their Facebook page that the M&P 22 will be arriving in retail in July with general availability in September. I'm hoping that includes a MA compliant model too.

Well I am going to depart from the norm a bit and ask why a semi-auto? A .22 makes good sense as a starter handgun, but why not a revolver? Want to start with a center fire handgun? Then why not a good medium framed revolver in .38 Spl. or .357 "Oh how Fuddish" some may reply, but here are the advantages as I see it:

1. simplicity: the manual of arms for a revolver is very simple. open cylinder, insert cartridges into chambers in cylinder, close cylinder. handgun is ready to fire
2. Trigger options: a double action revolver allows for two fire modes: single action (where you thumb cock the hammer, then pull the trigger) or double action (pull the trigger) using the single action mode will teach you how fire precisely and you can work on the fundamentals of marksmanship.
3. Reliability, when a revolver malfunctions, it is usually a pretty serious event, the upside of this is that revolvers rarely malfunction.
4. Variety of ammunition: revolvers will feed a variety of bullet weights and shapes, no worries about having pet loads...also cartridges can be loaded from "mild to wild."
5. Versatility, a .357 magnum revolver can shoot both .357 magnum and .38 spl calibers giving you a variety of options
6. Availability: plenty of used revolvers in .38 and .357 available at fairly attractive prices
7. Maintenance: no elaborate field stripping with springs flying everywhere: simply clean the barrel and chambers, lubricate at a few key places and wipe down the gun and you're done
8. Safety: to see if the revolver is loaded, simply open the cylinder latch (you can also look at the chambers to see if the gun is loaded, but I don't like to point a gun at myself in such a way as to do that, that's up to you.)
9. Mature technology: modern double action revolvers have been around since the 1890's and all the reputable manufacturers have pretty much ironed out any bugs in the operating system

Food for thought, anyway.

Well I'm going to through my 2 cents in the pot.

1) Absolutely grab a .22 and a 9mm. 500 rounds for less than $20, easy training, but don't over look snap caps and dry firing with a 9mm you will get more out of that then using a .22. Train with what you will be carrying. seeing how you stated your getting both at the same time excellent

2) .22 pistol the only real choice you have right now is the Ruger MKIII. Don't waste your money on the Walther p22 or the sig. Too many issues. Some people have great luck with either of them, more people have issues with them. I personally have the p22 for my wife and I dislike it more than anything. I'm hoping that the performance parts from Galloway precision that they will be releasing for the p22 will help.

3) For a 9mm you can either go full size, compact, or sub compact. Full size will overall be the most accurate, but hardest to conceal. Sub Compact will be easy to conceal light weight, but harder to be accurate. Compact best of both words. Grab a solid gun with a decent trigger and go to town. Ruger SR9C FTW. For the cost, out of the box stock, its one of the best compact 9mm you will find. If you don't mind going pre-owned grab a glock. Honestly, I recently had the ability to throw some rounds through one and I now want one. I wouldn't give up my SR9C for one, but in addition absolutely.

4) Grab a .22 rifle. I luv my 10/22, but I also want a S&W 15-22. its hella fun.

5) lastly, get ready for an expensive and addicting hobby!

They recently posted on their Facebook page that the M&P 22 will be arriving in retail in July with general availability in September. I'm hoping that includes a MA compliant model too.

Expect it to take 1-2 years post-shipment before they get MA approval. That seems to be what it takes. [sad]

~ Check this out . . .

This may have been entered before but I haven't seen it.

SMITHSMP22-1.jpg

Smith & Wesson M&P-22

Smith & Wesson’s newest pistol, the M&P-22 is a Walther design that exactly matches the ergonomics of the 9mm or .40 S&W M&P pistol. The M&P-22 comes with 10 or 12 round single stack magazines and is equipped from the factory with a frame-mounted thumb safety. (cont.)

Read the full article here:
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6016

Back
Top Bottom