• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Pistol?

So, I'm still a month or two away from getting my LTC, but of course the window shopping has already begun. Any recommendations for my first pistol?

I was thinking of a 9mm at first, but then I read someones opinion that everyone should own at least one .22 for budget friendly range time and practice. Looking at ammo prices, I think that's some solid advice. I should probably get some good range time in before thinking about carrying concealed anyway. Right now Im looking at the rugers, and in particular this one..,

http://ruger.com/products/markIIIHunter/specSheets/10118.html

I've heard cleaning the mkiii is a real pain, but the videos I've seen of it's field strip seem reasonable.

Think this would be a good pistol if ended up wanting to get into some amateur .22 pistol competitions?

As a second pistol I'm considering the LC9 for a carry concealed (if they are mass compliant by then) but I would love your thoughts and recommendations.

I have that model Ruger Mark III (the "hunter"). It's a great .22, and an excellent choice for a first handgun.

If I had to do it over again I would grab a ruger 22/45 first, because I'm about to buy one now anyways. I own a 9mm, but even that gets expensive to shoot.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Most of the Ruger Mk3 pistols will be fine for a first pistol. I personally have the 22/45 Target. I wish I had gone with one of the Hunter models.

For other compact 9mm's, also look at Glock models 19 and 26 and the Smith and Wesson MP9c. Both are readily available in MA, and the Glock models will have pre-ban large-capacity magazines available.

A possibility with a lot of win :

SigSauer 229 in 9mm or .40cal with a factory conversion 22 upper.
Ultra simple to switch back & forth. Keep the same controls , holster , etc. and learn with .22 ammo. I am getting one this week for mine.

I also have a Ruger 10/45. Great gun. I bought it as a substitute/trainer for the 1911 I usually carry , when I find a batch of free money I am going to get a dedicated 22 conversion " top half" for it same as the Sig I described above.

Of course , pragmatic training gear vs Getting a bunch of guns is usually done in reverse order - we buy a bunch of guns and eventually settle on logical gear. .... & nothing wrong with that.

Another vote for a center fire with a .22 conversion. In revolvers it would be a K or L frame S&W center fire and a K frame .22.

+1 on the 2 above posts! can't go wrong with a Sig 229 with a .22 conversion, or a Glock 19/23 with a conversion. Best of both worlds, good carry, and cheap range fun. Or, pick your favorite caliber, and start reloading!

I got a 9mm pistol for my first handgun, i really like it. that being said i ended up buying a .22 actually a 22/45 for quite a deal. only thing with the 22/45 is dont bother with lead nosed rounds. go for the CCI or federal copper plated ones they feed so much better. All lead nosed rounds ive tried all jam

and the 22/45 field strip is simple. also do the upgrades to get rid of mag disconnect and the bolt hold open

don't make the decision harder than it should be: buy a couple of guns, it's still legal. ; ) MkIII is a fine gun and the whole thing about hard to assemble is BS. For $15 you can get 500 rounds, so you'll spend more $ on gas driving to the range than practicing. Get something else to carry.

Ruger is a good first choice. The manual tells you how to tear it down. The biggest draw back with the Ruger is assembly and if you follow the steps in the manual it will go right back together.

Then get to the range. While there peek around at other shooters ask some questions and there is a good chance you will be allowed to try their guns. Then you can demo plenty of guns and find the style, caliber and frame that fit you best and you shoot the best. This will save you $ in the long run.

If you do get a MKIII of some kind, don't be afraid to shoot a couple of bulk packs through it BEFORE you try to strip it. It can only loosen things up a bit. That being said, my 22/45 seems to eat anything I feed it................even the much maligned crapfest that is the Remington Golden Bullet pack.

My first was a Sig P226 stainless in 9mm and that wasn't even a month ago. :) I have been shopping for a .22, but I just can't decide what I want. I can get a dedicated Mosquito, Walther P22 or S&W for about the same money as a conversion kit. First I wanted the Mosquito, but then I read about all the folks who have FTF or FTE issues. Ditto for the P22. I haven't researched the S&W yet. One thing I don't like about the Sig conversion kit is that the slide doesn't lock open after the last round. For some reason, that would just annoy me.

I have and love my Mark III. I would definitely recommend it as a first gun. Despite any pains with disassembly, you don't really have to do it all that often. Run a bore snake through it every once and a while and hold off on stripping it until you're a couple of thousand rounds in (or if you start having problems).

Glock 27,walther pps .40 or 9mm
So, I'm still a month or two away from getting my LTC, but of course the window shopping has already begun. Any recommendations for my first pistol?

I was thinking of a 9mm at first, but then I read someones opinion that everyone should own at least one .22 for budget friendly range time and practice. Looking at ammo prices, I think that's some solid advice. I should probably get some good range time in before thinking about carrying concealed anyway. Right now Im looking at the rugers, and in particular this one..,

http://ruger.com/products/markIIIHunter/specSheets/10118.html

I've heard cleaning the mkiii is a real pain, but the videos I've seen of it's field strip seem reasonable.

Think this would be a good pistol if ended up wanting to get into some amateur .22 pistol competitions?

As a second pistol I'm considering the LC9 for a carry concealed (if they are mass compliant by then) but I would love your thoughts and recommendations.

don't make the decision harder than it should be: buy a couple of guns, it's still legal. ; ) MkIII is a fine gun and the whole thing about hard to assemble is BS. For $15 you can get 500 rounds, so you'll spend more $ on gas driving to the range than practicing. Get something else to carry.

If your so liberal with all your money buying multiple guns, ammo, and gas money to the range.......maybe you can kick in an extra $21 for a green membership! haha.....BAZINGA!

I do agree though, buy all you can, while you can. before the 1 a month rule hits!

Last edited:
Good thinking getting a low budget gun for your first gun. Especially if you dont end up liking it after a while you didnt blow a grand on it. Buy what feels comfortable in your hand too especially if your range weapon will eventually turn into your range/carry weapon. Ranges that have rental programs are good too that way you can test stuff out before you buy it to see if you like it.

If you do get a MKIII of some kind, don't be afraid to shoot a couple of bulk packs through it BEFORE you try to strip it. It can only loosen things up a bit. That being said, my 22/45 seems to eat anything I feed it................even the much maligned crapfest that is the Remington Golden Bullet pack.

My Ruger 22/45 (5.5" bull barrel w/poly frame, model 10107) HATED those golden Rem's (a Marlin model 60 rifle did as well). So glad that box is empty, and I'll NEVER buy those again! Pretty much anything else goes through them no problems...

If you are looking to carry sooner, rather than later, get a decent 9mm. Ammo is cheap, there's a plethora of options to carry, etc. Follow that up with the .22. If you're looking to get out and shoot, and shoot more, the .22 is the better first option.

I started with a .45, ammo got really expensive, followed that up with my MkIII.

Buy a 9mm with an available factory 22lr conversion. 2 birds, one stone, one platform. It's a double A+ if it's the same gun you carry.

If you get an unrestricted license and plan on CCW, I would recommend a compact S&W M&P. Great gun, incredibly reliable. Best part is you can pick one up for around $450. If money is a major issue, go ruger .22, as ammo is a fraction of the price.

If you get an unrestricted license and plan on CCW, I would recommend a compact S&W M&P. Great gun, incredibly reliable. Best part is you can pick one up for around $450. If money is a major issue, go ruger .22, as ammo is a fraction of the price.

I will second this.. my first pistol is a S&W M&P9c no major issues easy, to strip and clean, as for ccw no problems fits right it is a tad bit heavy w/ my nylon iwb holster (imo), but im waiting on my CrossBreed Supertuck so hopefully that will remedy it weight issue.best thing is that your doing your homework and research and get what is comfortable for you both price wise and person choice. Good Luck

Last edited:
My first was the .22 Sig Mosquito. I love that thing, it is a great plinking gun for the range it is light; easy to clean/shoot. It was the perfect start pistol. Even with all my other toys that mosquito is a gun I don't see myself ever getting rid of.

I have and love my Mark III. I would definitely recommend it as a first gun. Despite any pains with disassembly, you don't really have to do it all that often. Run a bore snake through it every once and a while and hold off on stripping it until you're a couple of thousand rounds in (or if you start having problems).

+1

I have that model Ruger Mark III (the "hunter"). It's a great .22, and an excellent choice for a first handgun.

+1

Another vote for a center fire with a .22 conversion. In revolvers it would be a K or L frame S&W center fire and a K frame .22.

No. Everyone needs a dedicated .22, especially new shooters. Many conversions can be a finicky headache for the new shooter.

I got a 9mm pistol for my first handgun, i really like it. that being said i ended up buying a .22 actually a 22/45 for quite a deal. only thing with the 22/45 is dont bother with lead nosed rounds. go for the CCI or federal copper plated ones they feed so much better. All lead nosed rounds ive tried all jam

and the 22/45 field strip is simple. also do the upgrades to get rid of mag disconnect and the bolt hold open

Yup, sometimes I get failures if not using copper plated as well in my MKII.

Buy a 9mm with an available factory 22lr conversion. 2 birds, one stone, one platform. It's a double A+ if it's the same gun you carry.

Ehhh, see note above.

My first was the .22 Sig Mosquito. I love that thing, it is a great plinking gun for the range it is light; easy to clean/shoot. It was the perfect start pistol. Even with all my other toys that mosquito is a gun I don't see myself ever getting rid of.

I know quite a few folks that have issues with their Mosquitos if they don't run CCI's. CCI's are great but expensive, I almost never by them.
However, if you get a conversion, you'll need the power of CCI Stingers to run it correctly.

If I had to do it over again I would grab a ruger 22/45 first, because I'm about to buy one now anyways. I own a 9mm, but even that gets expensive to shoot.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Yup.

Most of the Ruger Mk3 pistols will be fine for a first pistol. I personally have the 22/45 Target. I wish I had gone with one of the Hunter models.

For other compact 9mm's, also look at Glock models 19 and 26 and the Smith and Wesson MP9c. Both are readily available in MA, and the Glock models will have pre-ban large-capacity magazines available.

Get a good .22 and a 9compact for carry.

This!

The 22/45 is OK but it's so cheap feeling after using the MK pistols.

I have an older MKII and the thing is a gem. I'll be getting it tapped for rings so I can use a Red Dot for Bullseye this fall.

If you can find a used MKII or III the decision is a no brainer, they're indestructible. I have replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen once the original started causing FTE's after thousands and thousands of rounds. People laugh at how far it chucks the brass.

Also, I've heard great things about the Buckmarks but I guess I'm a Ruger fanboy when it comes to .22's; get the Ruger.

I'd go for the 9mm first.

There's not much you can get out of a .22 that you can't get from occasional live fire with a 9mm and lots of dry fire practice.

I'd go for the 9mm first.

There's not much you can get out of a .22 that you can't get from occasional live fire with a 9mm and lots of dry fire practice.

This. Dryfire your brains out. Learn through muscle memory what you need to do and most problems will be nonexistant.

Go with a pistol that has a 22 conversion also, I have maybe 1 out of 100 rounds being an issue with my Glock 23 conversion klt. As for others saying that 22 conversions are picky, maybe the old ones but I know the Glock kit I have is at least as reliable as most 22 pistols and have heard plenty say the same about other Advantage Arms kits. I too wanted a Ruger 22 but after buying my conversion kit I feel like I have no need of it.

Advantage of a conversion kit in your carry gun is that the controls will be the same and if you practice with the kit you are practicing manipulation of your carry gun also.

my first and current pistol is a S&W sigma 9mm, its alrite. real hard trigger pull. Id recommend something else. The price is real resonable which is what attracted me. You can get one for under 400 now i believe. My recommendation is Berreta 9mm. I fired my buddies and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom