• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First pistol purchase

1st off I'm new to the forum so if I'm posting in the wrong spot I apologize.

So I wanted a small 45 and after a bit of a learning curve about what's mass compliant and what's not. I came across a S&W 1911 pro series sub compact. I put my down payment on it today so it will be ready for me when I get my card. When I told my local gun dealer what I wanted the woman behind the counter said "you want that gun for your first gun?" Not sure how to take that. Should I have gone with a cheaper gun or maybe a smaller caliber?
The gun I wanted was the Springfield XDs but realized it wasn't mass compliant and then found the Glock 36 but found out I can't get a brand new one and wanted my first gun to be NIB.

So any must haves that I should be getting when I pick it up?

thanks in advance
Mike

It's a nice pistol, although like any compact .45 will take considerable practice to shoot well. I'd put at least 500 rounds through it before I trusted my life with it.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to NES. First of all a S&W Pro Series is a very nice handgun. My advice would be to practice with it a lot, and make sure that it reliably feeds the ammo that you plan on using for personal defense. Conventional wisdom suggest that compact 1911's tend to be less reliable than full size.

You will soon here from those that will tell you that you should have chosen a smaller caliber for your first gun, and that you should have bought a 22 to start. I agree that a 22 is great for inexpensive practice, but with some training and practice, you can become proficient with your 1911.

You can buy a Glock NIB in Mass it just requires a little more effort.

As far as must haves, aside from the obvious eye and ear protection, you really need a good belt and holster as they make all the difference in the world

The first thing you should buy are some Wilson Combat magazines and some good ammo and learn how to shoot that gun well. The reason the woman asked if you wanted the 1911 is because 1911's require good shooting form and sub-compacts can jam if you limp wrist when you shoot them. The S&W is a fine weapon and you will love it if you learn to shoot it well, also but some spare recoil springs since you will need to replace it every 1000 rounds to keep the gun reliable. Let us know how it shoots when you get your LTC and good luck.

I would also suggest you spend a few buck on some training. You will be amazed at the difference a few hours with a good instructor will make.

As far as training I have a USMC friend and also a Fitchburg PD friend. I'm sure they would help me out on some pointers.

As far as training I have a USMC friend and also a Fitchburg PD friend. I'm sure they would help me out on some pointers.

The best fighters make the worst coaches. And having a cop teach you about firearms is like asking a nun about sex.[smile]

So I wanted a small 45 and after a bit of a learning curve about what's mass compliant and what's not. I came across a S&W 1911 pro series sub compact. I put my down payment on it today so it will be ready for me when I get my card. When I told my local gun dealer what I wanted the woman behind the counter said "you want that gun for your first gun?" Not sure how to take that. Should I have gone with a cheaper gun or maybe a smaller caliber?
The gun I wanted was the Springfield XDs but realized it wasn't mass compliant and then found the Glock 36 but found out I can't get a brand new one and wanted my first gun to be NIB.

thanks in advance
Mike

First, Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here!

A short barrel sub compact .45 might be a bit much for a first firearm. You've chosen a steep learning curve. One I would not recommend for a new shooter.

I love what you bought but you've bought the 48 oz steak when you probably should start out with the 7 oz.

If that is what you are going to learn with get a good instructor. Otherwise buy a .22 and start with that.

I don't know your skill set but you have bitten off a big chunk. I'm afraid you'll get discouraged when you start shooting and find it hard to get on paper. That would not be good. Shooting is fun but you need to start at a level that matches your skill set. I'm not sure a short barrel .45 will serve that purpose.

Carrying a big ass caliber is fine but hitting your target is a lot more important than caliber.

If you don't want to do .22 then maybe .380?

Keep what you bought but grow into it. Be patient.

Best of Luck!

Last edited:
Want my opinion?

find a nice used Ruger MKI, II, or III, or any good .22LR pistol and go spend lots of time on the range learning how to shoot.

feeding a gun with anything but .22LR gets expensive fast. I can burn 100 bucks of ammo in my 9 or .40 in an hour, it would take me a day to burn 100 bucks of .22lr ammo.

The skills you learn with the .22 will transfer to the .45, so learn on the 22, get proficient with the 22, then work on the .45 with range ammo then carry ammo.

you'll thank me later, and your wallet will too

Want my opinion?

find a nice used Ruger MKI, II, or III, or any good .22LR pistol and go spend lots of time on the range learning how to shoot.

feeding a gun with anything but .22LR gets expensive fast. I can burn 100 bucks of ammo in my 9 or .40 in an hour, it would take me a day to burn 100 bucks of .22lr ammo.

The skills you learn with the .22 will transfer to the .45, so learn on the 22, get proficient with the 22, then work on the .45 with range ammo then carry ammo.

you'll thank me later, and your wallet will too

This!

thanks in advance
Mike

Congrats on your upcoming purchase. It is a great gun!

JOIN A RANGE!

Being a new shooter I would "Practice Practice Practice" Would even be a VERY GOOD idea to take a class, One specifically that would teach you to be more proficient with YOUR pistol. Before YOU carry a pistol like that I would put 500+ rounds through it!

When shooting .45acp & ANYTHING bigger consider using:
Earplugs "with" ear muffs (at the same time)
I know MANY shooters who have damaged their ears (especially when shooting in indoor ranges)

Consider buying a .22LR pistol as well for practice. $20 for 500+ rounds is so much easier to afford over $15+ for FIFTY rounds! I really like my Ruger SR22 pistol at slightly under $300 "NEW"

and Last of all GO GREEN!

ALL Just In My Opinion!
[smile]

P.S. if you don't want a .22LR... I would HIGHLY consider buying a 9mm!

and Practice Practice Practice

Last edited:
I'm not sure where everyone got the idea nobody can handle a .45 for a first gun. I'll bet most of the people saying that didn't buy a .22 for their first gun.

I agree with a .22 purchase, but not for a first carry gun! Get a .22 for cheap range fun and practice. Nothing wrong with starting out in a .45
Practice a lot, carry safely, and don't be shy to ask for training help here. Plenty of people scattered all around here willing to help out.

If the 45 turns out to be a handful I can always grab my brothers 22 or a friends 380 but all my life I just jump in the deep end and always come out on top..

I always love a challenge.

I'm not sure where everyone got the idea nobody can handle a .45 for a first gun. I'll bet most of the people saying that didn't buy a .22 for their first gun.

I don't think anyone insinuated that he couldn't handle a .45. The question is can he get on (and stay on) target with a .45 with no experience and no training. My bet is "no". It might also get frustrating for him if he can't hit the broad side of a barn after 50 rounds of .45 down the pipe. I don't want that to happen. I offer that he started a little "lighter" and learned good technique before jumping in the deep end.

Well I didn't want to sound like an idiot or anything so I didn't ask about everyone saying go green. I just learned what it's all about in another thread. HAHAHA sorry.

I will go green soon I promise.

Back
Top Bottom