• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Pistol Purchase: .22lr or 9mm...need advice

Hello!
Im hoping to purchase my first pistol at the upcoming Concord gun show. I have a ton of experience with rifle competition but only limited experience with pistols beyond renting, plinking, etc.

I am looking to buy a pistol to do general recreational target shooting, but also wanted the ability to carry and have it for home defense. I am torn because almost everyone suggests a .22 for a first pistol. While I agree that will be much cheaper ammo-wise, it doesnt fit my desire for home defense and general carry as when SHTF, a .22 is not a great solution, but is obviously better than nothing.

My budget is around 500 for the pistol and accessories. My options that I am considering are:
1. A nice .22 pistol such as a Ruger MKIII, Browning Buck Mark, the SW22-A thats currently in the classifieds. This will run me under my budget and still leave room for a few bricks of ammo and any other accessories ill want (holster, bedside safe, etc)
2. A 9mm variant of some kind, such as a glock 19. Ive tested a bunch of different models. This fits my home defense and carry desires, and ammo is still relatively cheap. I could always get a .22 conversion at a later date if i really wanted. Pricewise this will max my budget and not leave a huge chunk for the rest of the junk I want to get.

What would everyone suggest? Obviously its partly personal preference, but I wanted to get some advice based on other peoples' experiences getting their first pistol and what route is the best to take.

If it were me buying my first pistol and I had to choose between a .22 and a 9mm, I would go with the 9mm. But that's me I'm a gambling man. [wink]

1) Buy at a gun store, not a gun show. Prices will likely be just as good and you'll have some recourse if you have a problem.

2) My first gun was a Glock 17. If you want a 9mm as your first gun, go ahead and buy one. Just don't expect it to be the last gun you buy...

3) Glock 19 would be a fine gun. It isn't the greatest to learn on, as I find the Glock trigger rather hard to master. But it is doable with lots of dry firing.

We've been through this before, but my opinion and experience is that if you start with a centerfire, you will greatly impede your path to pistol proficiency.

I'd have to agree with RKG on this. I honestly don't get excited shooting .22 these days but it's the best platform to develop the basic fundamentals. A .22's bang won't distract you as much from focusing on a good trigger pull and sight picture, etc.

After you gain skills with the .22 you can always trade it in or sell it for a 9mm.

Totally agree with RKG. I contemplated the same decision when I bought my first pistol. I settled on a MkIII. By the time I put a few thousand rounds through it and felt comfortable with my pistol skills, I had enough saved up for my 2nd purchase but I ended up not going with a SW 686 instead of a 9mm.

We've been through this before, but my opinion and experience is that if you start with a centerfire, you will greatly impede your path to pistol proficiency.

If you wait a bit for a little more money, you could get both. There are .22lr conversion kits for some pistols. They can be found for a CZ-75, Berettta 92, and a few Glocks, if you're set on a 9mm. They can also be had for 1911 type pistols, too. Your best bet price wise might be a CZ-75. You can probably get the pistol and conversion slide for around $700. Although the CZ-75 is a bit on the heavy side as a carry piece.

What about a Ruger .22lr for plinking/target and a wheelgun? I found a SW65 a few years ago used for $200. It's a stainless steel, 4in barrel .357 magnum. I mostly only shoot .38 specials in it tho. When I do shoot.

Thanks for the replies, everyone....I hear you all and you reflect the same I have heard all along. Though i shot in competition smallbore for 10+ years, im sure pistol trigger control etc is much different so can understand how the dynamics of a .22 are the best "learner" gun. I may jump on that 22-a with the red dot for 250$ on the forums, then just sell a few knives and save for something bigger.

Thanks for the advice on not buying at a show, as well....i hadnt thought of that aspect of things.

Ill shoot that classified a PM and see whats involved.

From Four Seasons used gun page.

Smith & Wesson SW9VE 9mm FACTORY BOX 2 MAGS $239.95

Walther P22 .22LR L149xxx FACTORY BOX 4 MAGS 3.25" BARREL $225.95

$239.95 + $225.95= $469.90

Not a bad start for less than $500.00

I'd buy the 9mm and learn to shoot it well. Dry fire, take a class, etc.

Recoil on a 9mm isn't bad, ammo is reasonably inexpensive, and it will work as a defensive weapon, whereas a .22 isn't the best choice for home protection.

I think good trigger control is good trigger control and can be learned a 9mm as easily as a .22 (but I may get a tongue lashing for so).

My first gun was a 9mm. I quickly went out and bought a .22.

Unless you have lots of spare cash, you'll have a lot easier time affording trips to the range with the .22. :) (More practice == more proficiency. Hopefully.)

I would go with the .22

I bought a 9mm first and hated it... because my accuracy wasn't that good with it.

I bought a P22 and love it. And now after shooting with that for some time I can shoot the 9mm with no trouble.

Plus, the .22 is a lot easier on the wallet when you are learning and even down the road for just plinking away 500 rounds in an afternoon. Just think how much that will run you with a 9mm [wink]

Just my 2 cents though... really comes down to you.

IMO find yourself a P226 9mm in halfway decent shape and go from
there. Or if you prefer one trigger action, a Glock 17. Either of
these can be found within your budget if you look around.

-Mike

I also bought the P22... I HIGHLY recommend it. Most of the people I have let shoot it love it.

It is a fun little gun IMO.

I have shot the ruger mkII, S&W 22A and the Sig masquito (A real POS IMO, the one I shot anyway, others may differ [smile] )

Anywho, I like the feel of the P22 over the mkII and the overall look and function of it over the S&W.

The P22 is not a bullseye target gun. But it is a heck of a fun gun to shoot and I have never had a single gun malfunction with it and over 1500 round in it so far. Even on the cheapest ammo. [smile]

**Disclaimer - the sig that I fired may of just been that particular gun. I fired 3 different types of ammo from it and everyone of them would not cycle past one round. Ever shot caused a jam of some sort. This again, may have simply been that particular gun, just left a bad taste with me.**

Matt,

And I had similar problems with my P22. Polished the feedramp, sold it and new owner reported that it worked fine.

The P22 is definitely a "YMMV" type gun.

Matt,

And I had similar problems with my P22. Polished the feedramp, sold it and new owner reported that it worked fine.

The P22 is definitely a "YMMV" type gun.

Yes, I too polished the feed ramp (plus a couple of other minor modes listed on the rimfirecentral site.)

I wasnt having any issues with the P22 before hand... but... see... the thing is... I have an illness as the wife calls it. I have the need to take things appart, simply to see how they work regardless if it is broken or not... [smile]

If it was me - and my budget was limited like you said yours is, I would go for the Glock 19. The 19 is not too big to be a carry gun, 9mm will stop an intruder, and if the cost of shooting 9mm gets too steep you can get .22LR upper conversion kits for the Glock - whereas you are not going to get a 9mm conversion kit for a pistol that comes in .22LR.

The Glock is popular - so you will find plenty of info on the web about how to maintain and modify it. The Glock can be dry fired without damage - in fact there is a trigger reset kit available for it so you can keep dry firing without having to rack the slide. Even if you go to a different pistol later the Glock will always be worth keeping around as a backup because they are so reliable.

Not sure what the prices are like up in NH - but if you are lucky you can probably find a used Glock19 for around $400 - and have $100 left out of your budget towards a .22LR conversion kit for it.

Recoil on a 9mm isn't bad, ammo is reasonably inexpensive, and it will work as a defensive weapon, whereas a .22 isn't the best choice for home protection.

+1 to this!

as I told to a new shooter looking over an extensive spread of guns (from 12 guage to .22)
"None of these guns are too much for you"

9mm is a moderate round as far as recoil and price goes, and with good FMJ ammo it is a good choice as a defensive weapon.

So get the 9mm first...but you can't beat the price and fun of a .22 so get right to saving your pennies for a .22!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

This was my logic too for buying a 9mm as a first gun (Taurus PT99AF). I would not get a smaller "CCW-sized" 9mm 'cause recoil could become a factor, at least for a first gun.

Thanks for the continued comments! I am leaning towards the 9mm just because I would rather my first purchase fit the defense needs I feel are necessary and deal with the ammo costs until I can save up for a conversion kit or .22 for fun/practice. I have pretty small hands, so I should be able to get by with a compact model that will also fit CCW pretty well. I've been shooting G19 clones in airsoft for years and when renting, have found the real thing is barely different than the airsoft replicas except the recoil. Ill hit up the local shops as i live less than 2 miles from Daves and Stateline in Plaistow. Its nice having a club and two gun stores within a 5 mile radius of my home.

FWIW- it's not the recoil that is the issue with 9mm (or many other handgund rounds) IMO- it's the bang. The bang can and often does screw up the mind. No matter how many times you can tell the brain "don't worry, it's not going to hurt you" the noise can and often does cause problems. That's why many have said to double up on the hearing protection.

Back
Top Bottom