• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First pistol need some thoughts

To anyone who bumps into this thread thinking about the Stoeger STR-9 - even if it is as reliable and well built an actual Glock, be careful about getting one. I cannot find magazines for it anywhere, at least for those who are in MA. Outside of MA, there are plenty.
Also going to call out R&R in Belchertown. They heavily implied they were going to be getting spare magazines for them, had ordered them just not received them, and were waiting on Stoeger to ship them. But everyone, everywhere, even the places charging double Stoeger MSRP are sold out. Everyone has standard capacity magazines, but not neutered ones for MA

No
To anyone who bumps into this thread thinking about the Stoeger STR-9 - even if it is as reliable and well built an actual Glock, be careful about getting one. I cannot find magazines for it anywhere, at least for those who are in MA. Outside of MA, there are plenty.
Also going to call out R&R in Belchertown. They heavily implied they were going to be getting spare magazines for them, had ordered them just not received them, and were waiting on Stoeger to ship them. But everyone, everywhere, even the places charging double Stoeger MSRP are sold out. Everyone has standard capacity magazines, but not neutered ones for MA
Hopefully, verifying the availability of extra mags is something you did before you bought the pistol rather than after.
But, if not, you can always get the standard capacity mags and neuter them yourself with mag blocks. This used to be much easier when you could have them shipped to a friend in RI and then install the blocks. Now, you'd probably have to drive to NH and buy them there or something. It's a little more complicated today than it was just a few months ago.

Good luck with your purchase.

No

Hopefully, verifying the availability of extra mags is something you did before you bought the pistol rather than after.
But, if not, you can always get the standard capacity mags and neuter them yourself with mag blocks. This used to be much easier when you could have them shipped to a friend in RI and then install the blocks. Now, you'd probably have to drive to NH and buy them there or something. It's a little more complicated today than it was just a few months ago.

Good luck with your purchase.
absolutely. It's what made me pass on the stoeger. Plus with just 1 spare mag, it was the same price as the canik with a holster.

absolutely. It's what made me pass on the stoeger. Plus with just 1 spare mag, it was the same price as the canik with a holster.
Excellent. Too many first time buyers start the magazine search AFTER they buy the gun. Start looking for ammo deals as that will now be the largest portion of your shooting budget. While it may sound expensive, you should try to purchase it by the case to save money if at all possible. I haven't shot the Canik, but lots of folks seem to be buying them and liking them, and it is certainly growing in popularity in the USPSA community where they are getting a lot of rounds put through them.

Start saving your brass too. You may not be interested in reloading just yet, but if you shoot a lot, you will probably think about it at some point, and it's nice to already have a nice big bucket of brass to get you started.

If I wasn't so deep in the Glock rabbit hole and was starting over I would get a Canik. Got to play with a couple of them, including a Rival S, yesterday and they feel great in the hand and have really good triggers.

Dont buy trash guns. If you are considering a gun because it is "essentially a Glock" just buy a Glock.
With one caveat: Glocks appear to be designed for use by B1 battle droids, not humans. I would strongly consider something that fits the hand well and not something that has such a blocky grip that it hurts the hand to grip it tight.

OP should handle and shoot as many guns as possible before making a purchase, especially if money is tight. Just because a gun seems perfect on paper, doesn't mean it's going to fit your specific hand. Think you want the Canik? Cool, try it out first. There's also a lot of merit to the guys saying get a .22lr. It's really the best way to learn to shoot a pistol on a budget.

How about instead of weeding through countless biased opinionated posts, you take a ride up to Granite state range in Hudson NH rent and try all the 9mm's they have ? At the end of the day at least you will have some direction of likes and dislikes.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

How about instead of weeding through countless biased opinionated posts, you take a ride up to Granite state range in Hudson NH rent and try all the 9mm's they have ? At the end of the day at least you will have some direction of likes and dislikes.

I don't do indoor ranges. Lead is too nasty of a chemical, the damage permanent, and chelation sucks to go through. To be specific on why I'd never go there...... I'd spend $80 just on gas and tolls to get there. Once there, I would pay $42 to be able to rent guns unlimited guns for their monthly membership, which would also give me a 20% discount on the range ammo, and that would be nice if it wasn't marked up 2x+ begin with. Their best bulk deal on 1000 rounds of Remington target ammo is still $100 more than KAG with discount. Let's say I tried out 8 pistols that were what I was looking for, shooting each one for 2 mags. Average 35 per gun, just under 300 rounds. Now all in, I'm at 70% of what I spent on my first gun and all I have figured out is what feels right regardless of if it is right. But hey, I'll still be able to buy guns for "cost" at this point. And the fast way to check if they are selling at cost is are all the S&W at 60-70% of MSRP?

I'm not a sommelier going in to a tasting by the ounce to buy by the litre. I'm in the drive thru and the hardest question for me is do I want a Triple Stacker or Double Whopper.

Last edited:
With one caveat: Glocks appear to be designed for use by B1 battle droids, not humans. I would strongly consider something that fits the hand well and not something that has such a blocky grip that it hurts the hand to grip it tight.
I would strongly consider shooting more and not worrying about how a gun feels.
Shoot a plastic 2x4. Be a man.
ScreenShot2022-06-30at3.22.59PM_1024x.jpg

Last edited:
I don't do indoor ranges. Lead is too nasty of a chemical, the damage permanent, and chelation sucks to go through. To be specific on why I'd never go there...... I'd spend $80 just on gas and tolls to get there. Once there, I would pay $42 to be able to rent guns unlimited guns for their monthly membership, which would also give me a 20% discount on the range ammo, and that would be nice if it wasn't marked up 2x+ begin with. Their best bulk deal on 1000 rounds of Remington target ammo is still $100 more than KAG with discount. Let's say I tried out 8 pistols that were what I was looking for, shooting each one for 2 mags. Average 35 per gun, just under 300 rounds. Now all in, I'm at 70% of what I spent on my first gun and all I have figured out is what feels right regardless of if it is right. But hey, I'll still be able to buy guns for "cost" at this point. And the fast way to check if they are selling at cost is are all the S&W at 60-70% of MSRP?

I'm not a sommelier going in to a tasting by the ounce to buy by the litre. I'm in the drive thru and the hardest question for me is do I want a Triple Stacker or Double Whopper.
so, this thread started on feb 7th and you are still 'thinking'?
[rofl]

Well first off , GS has a state of the art ventilation system , and your equally at the minimal lead exposure risk shooting outdoors as well. If lead contaminant is a concern with you just stop right here, forget about guns and take up chess. (Much less lead contaminant risk). Chess is cheap as well. And lastly spending a few hundred bucks at an indoor range to help define your preference is a good plan as opposed to knee jerk spending $500 on a gun you suddenly realize you dont like. Just sayin'

I say this in almost every 'buying first gun' thread. It's important:

Find a gun that points naturally. Any decent gun will function, your natural biomechanics are more important to shooting the pistol well. The grip angle makes a difference, along with the size of the grip. You can learn to shoot anything well, but why?
With a little dry fire you can learn to point any gun well. Doesn't take me very long to go back and forth between Glock and 1911, for example.

...you will now need to get a dozen or so magazines for it...
Why so many mags?

To each their own, no? Glocks fit my hand quite well.

Because Clint says so. Obvy
and just because it is so handy, really.
11.jpg

btw it made me remember i needed 1 more - top picture - primary arms runs a magpul sale right now, G17 mags were at $10, so i got 4 more.

Last edited:

You sound like a sw shield guy….

so, this thread started on feb 7th and you are still 'thinking'?
[rofl]
no no no, I've bought, but if someone is kind enough to take time to reply, I figure I should as well.
Well first off , GS has a state of the art ventilation system , and your equally at the minimal lead exposure risk shooting outdoors as well. If lead contaminant is a concern with you just stop right here, forget about guns and take up chess. (Much less lead contaminant risk). Chess is cheap as well. And lastly spending a few hundred bucks at an indoor range to help define your preference is a good plan as opposed to knee jerk spending $500 on a gun you suddenly realize you dont like. Just sayin'
I spent 2 months looking at different pistols, who sells them, at what price, and attempted to navigate the penile cancers disguised as a UTI known as MA Gun Laws. I decided on the Canik because JPL directed me there (also who did my LTC class). If you know who he is, and what he did for a living, for him to recommend anything not SW is high praise. I've been very happy with my Canik. I'm sure GS is a great place, with nice people and all. I am a value oriented person. If the guns I am looking at are $300-400 new, and your suggestion is $250+ , and my total budget is $400 for the pistol, then I am not going to be buying anything but a high point. I'm sorry if I came across as GS not having a value, I was just explaining it doesn't have a value for me. Be a different ballgame if I was in worcester or boston and it's a 30-45 minute drive.

You sound like a sw shield guy….
I feel like there is a NES joke in there that I am unfamiliar in with there. If I take your suggestion at face value, I would decline just based off the size. Even with the magazine extension base plate, My pink would be off, if not half on/off. I'd feel like one of those people who hold their pinkie away from whatever they are drinking.

Last edited:
no no no, I've bought, but if someone is kind enough to take time to reply, I figure I should as well.

I spent 2 months looking at different pistols, who sells them, at what price, and attempted to navigate the penile cancers disguised as a UTI known as MA Gun Laws. I decided on the Canick because JPL directed me there (also who did my LTC class). If you know who he is, and what he did for a living, for him to recommend anything is high praise. I've been very happy with my Canik.

I feel like there is a NES joke in there that I am unfamiliar in with there. If I take your suggestion at face value, I would decline just based off the size. Even with the magazine extension base plate, My pink would be off, if not half on/off. I'd feel like one of those people who hold their pinkie away from whatever they are drinking.
Or maybe a P365 guy on a hi-point budget??

Shield is a decent gun, there are newer versions now. Basically a tiny copy of a Glock without infringing on Glocks design too much….and stack and a half.

I’m a double stack guy. In this current civil war climate, everyone should be double stack guys, IMO.

Or maybe a P365 guy on a hi-point budget??

Shield is a decent gun, there are newer versions now. Basically a tiny copy of a Glock without infringing on Glocks design too much….and stack and a half.

I’m a double stack guy. In this current civil war climate, everyone should be double stack guys, IMO.

A friend of mine, the poor soul, paid $700 for a p320c. Proceeded to then buy 200 rounds of target for FMJ for $100, and a box of 25 self defense rounds for $20. I now order him ammo though targetsports, and I am sending him to the Mill for the next purchase he wants to make.

I could have gotten any S&W for half price. I know people at S&W who offered to let me use one of their 10 guns a year purchases at employee price. Nothing from S&W interested me, and what did interest me would have blown the budget even at half price. Hindsight being 20/20, a MP40 2.0 4.2" probably would have fit the bill, but I don't know as though it would have been "better" than the Canik. Time will tell.

Ditto on doublestack. Just snagged some pre-ban mec gear mags that I just need to file a new magazine release notch onto to work in my Canik.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom