• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First One of 2012 - And First 41 Marked Mosin for Me

Actually, I picked it up a couple of days ago. Just getting around to posting this Mosin Nagant.

It's a Winter War Tula M91/30 with some usual wear from use. I snagged it for two features that I was lacking in the collection. First, it has the "41" stamp, and next it is fitted with the stacked front sight. It also looks like it was roughhoused around a little, as there are several dents across the top of the shank and receiver, and the matched bolt knob went through a meat grinder, I think!

It has a well fitted Finn spliced stock, with a somewhat legible CCCP Soviet cartouche on the right side butt. A few more marks in the grasping groove. If I ever plan to fire it, I will need to look into the trigger function. It is the absolute worst one I've ever felt, with what must be a 20-25lb pull. Ugh!

Perfect battle hardened Veteran to begin a New Year's collecting display. Enjoy, and thanks for looking.

41markedFinn004.jpg

41markedFinn007.jpg

41markedFinn008.jpg

41markedFinn009.jpg

41markedFinn012.jpg

41markedFinn006.jpg

41markedFinn010.jpg

41markedFinn011.jpg

41markedFinn013.jpg

41markedFinn005.jpg

What do you mean martin it looks a little beaten up..that's a pristine rifle...congrats..and Happy New Year.
You can almost hear the Finn who range tested the rifle talking to the gunsmith, no the front sight has to be higher, back to the range, back to the gunsmith, no I said HIGHER, get it right will ya.

Nice. We were just talking about the WInter War at Christmas. My uncle and my mother's uncle were both in that and the following "Continuation" War. I would love to find out what they had when they were fighting the Russians.

What do you mean martin it looks a little beaten up..that's a pristine rifle...congrats..and Happy New Year.
You can almost hear the Finn who range tested the rifle talking to the gunsmith, no the front sight has to be higher, back to the range, back to the gunsmith, no I said HIGHER, get it right will ya.

[laugh] High enough?

I'm posting this one for you, Fred. Beat up with a few dents and a chewed up bolt knob, but otherwise nice bluing and wood. Gettin' ya back in the mood to seek out the sleepers. Picked this one up for $135. [wink]

For us non-M/N types, what's the "41" mean? 1941?

MS

The 41 stamp only appears on captured Soviet-made guns dated before 1942. You will see it mostly on M91/30 models that were captured during the Winter War of 1939. It is unknown why Finland put the stamp on it, but it is somewhat uncommon to find, therefore, I'm stoked!

Nice. We were just talking about the WInter War at Christmas. My uncle and my mother's uncle were both in that and the following "Continuation" War. I would love to find out what they had when they were fighting the Russians.

here is a 3min summary of the winter war:

keep in mind, when you are playing chess, it does not matter how many pawns, rooks or knights are lost or sacrificed. Checkmate "justifies" everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting take (from a guy named Boris, hmmm).

At 1:32 and 2:00, what are those cannon/artillery?

Nice Martin... and as always... I learned something new. I had not idea about the 41 mark. Now I will have to take a look at mine and see if any of them have it.

Back
Top Bottom