• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First of 12 Colt 1911 Calibers

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
A Colt 9mm Steyr the first of a 12 gun project building one of each caliber Colt commercially produced. Each gun will be built as close to the same as possible from 22 LR to .455 Eley using original Colt frames and slides. each having the slide and frame refit. Barrels refit or in some cases custom made. The sights have been custom made by Kensight. The grips are from the same piece of French Walnut by Craig Spegel. Finished in blue with hard chrome and nitre blue accents. I'm in the second year of this four year project, this is the first one finished.
i6nbMTd.jpg

XhLXgyK.jpg

dreYHPI.jpg

83kZaIN.jpg

Air5HHW.jpg

qIlkaPK.jpg

dyk58Bc.jpg

Nice, Greg.

Just FYI, the .455 British 1911s weren't in .455 Eley. That's rimmed, and just about identical to .455 Webley. The Brits produced a ".455 Auto" round for their 1911s, and it's EXTREMELY expensive to source. You'll likely need to turn down some rims on some Eley brass, looks like:

Attachments

• WebAuto.jpg
    WebAuto.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 4
Nice, Greg.

Just FYI, the .455 British 1911s weren't in .455 Eley. That's rimmed, and just about identical to .455 Webley. The Brits produced a ".455 Auto" round for their 1911s, and it's EXTREMELY expensive to source. You'll likely need to turn down some rims on some Eley brass, looks like:

You are somewhat correct. The magazines are marked .455 Eley which was a derivative of that cartridge. The mag well is .020 wider to accommodate the wider magazine and round. Yes they can be expensive, we have some custom made from 45 long brass.

I figured you were doing a version of the WWI naval Colt the Brits used.

Anyway, carry on!

ETA: Oh, that's right. .455 Webley is actually .476 Eley. My bad.

Back
Top Bottom