First Missouri deer for me...

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Taken with my Marlin 30-30, 170 grain round nose at about 130 yards in the field behind the house from inside my outhouse/blind. Hit her in the right scapula and she dropped like a stone, dead before she hit the ground. It's so easy here...drove the truck up to her and dragged her in with my come-along. No dragging a deer through a mile (or more) of woods and swamps. Three quarters of an hour later, she was hanging in my barn.

I have two more doe tags to fill. When I was driving into the field where I shot her to dump the guts (to feed the vultures and coyotes), there were at least three more does standing there. I would've tried to take another one today but I only have one hanger. There's 8 more days of hunting so I should be able to fill the other two in that time.

I need to go out and buy a freezer in the next day or two. I left ours in NH when we moved :confused:

I'm still sporting my NES sticker...[thumbsup]

Yep, we got a bit of snow, day before yesterday.

1668448033838.jpeg

Last edited:
I like meat, not trophies. Give me a doe any day!

How many NES stickers do you see in MO?
I've not seen many NES stickers here in MO! I just might have the only one...LOL.

Here in MO, in some counties like mine, they beg you to take more does than bucks as the deer population is very high here and they make it easy for a hunter to do that. You can buy one "either sex" tag for $17 and two "doe only" tags for $9 each per season. Because I'm >65, I don't need a hunting license, just buy whatever tags I want. My license is my MO driver's license.

There are some rumors that MO might raise the "doe only" tags to five in 2023 to residents in many southern counties. There are some really nice bucks around here but during rut, their meat is not nearly as good as doe meat. Most deer around here are grain fed because they "share" feed with the livestock. :) They also have a good acorn crop here too which they like.

Like you, given the chance, I'd shoot a doe before a buck.

Last edited:
I've not seen many NES stickers here in MO! I just might have the only one...LOL.

Here in MO, in some counties like mine, they beg you to take more does than bucks as the deer population is very high here and they make it easy for a hunter to do that. You can buy one "either sex" tag for $17 and two "doe only" tags for $9 each per season. Because I'm >65, I don't need a hunting license, just buy whatever tags I want. My license is my MO driver's license.
Texas has almost no public hunting land, and you really don't want to be hunting on what little of it there is.

There, it's all private land leased to hunting clubs. You have to know somebody to be somebody, and annual club fees run from a few hundred to several thousand dollars.

It does get you great access, though. Most clubs participate in TPWD's "game management program", and my buddies in NE TX buy one license and can tag up to 18 deer per year. (Last time I checked, which was 10 years ago.)

There are some rumors that MO might raise the "doe only" tags to five in 2023 to residents in many southern counties. There are some really nice bucks around here but during rut, their meat is not nearly as good as doe meat. Most deer around here are grain fed because they "share" feed with the livestock. :) They also have a good acorn crop here too which they like.

Like you, given the chance, I'd shoot a doe before a buck.

"Either sex" tag??? So if you wanna molest the deer it costs money???? "You can bang em or BANG em, it's gonna cost you $17." Hungry or horny.

Are the deer checking tags before getting porked???? You people are strange in Missouri. ;)

Back
Top Bottom