• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First M1 - a “Special” - seek advice

BMX

I’m about to purchase my first M1 from the CMP. I’d like a “Special” grade for the new barrel accuracy. Is there any reason why I should wait until these latest returns start selling to purchase one or should I go ahead and buy from the current inventory? Only asking because I’m not familiar with the M1 supply and the possible upside (if any) of this new batch.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Yeah it’s been a big year purchase-wise and the wife is at her limit with my expenses (BTW don’t get the Mint app).

In all fairness I did add an M1A National Match to the stable so I’m already in the neighborhood.

If Specials are available, by all means just buy what they have now. Probably going to be a SA or H&R receiver, and a mix of other parts to complete it. Barrels are Criterion match barrels. There are many of us shooting the CMP Specials in matches, and they are capable of shooting a perfect score with a little work.

If all you want is a good shooter, you can save some money via purchasing one of their Special Field grades. Receivers might have a little pitting in non-critical areas. Probably the M1's from the Philippines will have some pitted receivers. Otherwise just get what they have now and enjoy.

Get a special well worth the cost. They shoot well but the stock's will need some attention but it's not hard to tweak them and fit them a little better.

I would order now. Purely speculation but I expect the Philippines ones might be in tough shape. I certainly don't expect them to lead to lower prices, either.

I would order now. Purely speculation but I expect the Philippines ones might be in tough shape. I certainly don't expect them to lead to lower prices, either.
prices already went up a little. plus the worse thing is waiting only for cmp to put a stop to sales and orders and then wait another 1-3 years to take orders again.

Thanks for the replies. Thinking I’ll go ahead and order the Special - a bird in the hand, right?

I also asked about stock work but really should have been more open ended. I was thinking along the lines of handing the rifle over to a smith that can tune it for me as I’ve read about gas blocks, stock fittment, etc. being of benefit is it’s a shooter I’m after.

But I’m getting ahead of myself considering that I have exactly 8 rounds through an M1 in my lifetime!

I had 2 M1 carbines on order at cmP a long time ago. I got an email they were ready. i had bought a lot of guns and felt guilty. i called and cancelled them. it wasn't that i couldn't have found the $500 each, i just got into one of those "i have spent enough" thoughts.

CMP cheerfully complied. cancelled my order. .........3 months later carbines sold out......I never got another carbine from CMP.

we may not be there with M1s, but do you really want to be posting "i should have bought that special when i could have" ?
i know i wish i wasnt.

A Special should be a good shooter right out of the box. A little tweaking can make it a great shooter. You can order a trigger job to be done before it ships to you, but right now I think they may have a long lead time for trigger jobs at their custom shop. Worth giving them a call to check. If you want it worked on locally, just wait for that. Enjoy...

There are some common fitment issues known with new Garand stocks, CMP stocks included, but if you are handy it's easy to DIY. The benefit to a new stock is the lockup is tight relative to a GI stock.

get it , detail strip clean and lube ( can be found on cmp web site and its one of the first things in the manual to do after the safety warnings) shoot it.
Give the rifle/you some time to settle. Dont get to hung up on the stock fit unless you are having function problems.
my base line for accuracy from a M1 not including personal shooting skills is holding the black.
A cmp special and HXP should hold the black with the exception of the dreaded HXP flyer!

Im not saying its the right way but this is part of my experience of learning the M1

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Df5GS2Lps&list=PLMs1lSjHgHsO4hvN68R7aHDllHfnfJbKC

I ordered a service grade beginning of May. Upgraded to special after 3 weeks got it the very next day. CMP was awesome. Very glad I went with the special. Stock fits very tight. Gonna order some grease, a garand gear ported gas plug to shoot any 30-06 ammo and then I'm gonna enjoy it. Very happy with my special grade rifle. Got a SA 5.8 million serial number. Very little pitting. Muzzle was 0 throats was 0 with the new barrel

Nice!

Regarding that adjustable plug- if I recall correctly those are for using the hotter hunting loads, in a pinch. Your M1 will run best with loads designed for it, and there are many available options for ammo. For best accuracy, others have always recommended to me a solid plug- with the correct ammo of course.

Once you run out of the grease you have ordered, you can get a tube of Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Works great even in -7F weather and is relatively cheap.

Make sure the sights are correctly tightened on your Special. I found out mine were a little loose the hard way.

Be sure to shoot it in a CMP match!

Nice!

Regarding that adjustable plug- if I recall correctly those are for using the hotter hunting loads, in a pinch. Your M1 will run best with loads designed for it, and there are many available options for ammo. For best accuracy, others have always recommended to me a solid plug- with the correct ammo of course.

Once you run out of the grease you have ordered, you can get a tube of Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Works great even in -7F weather and is relatively cheap.

Make sure the sights are correctly tightened on your Special. I found out mine were a little loose the hard way.

Be sure to shoot it in a CMP match!
He has the ported garand gear gas plug which in its most basic form is a solid plug but with a larger internal volume that is supposed to be enough of a change in volume to decrease the volume and the time before the op rod moves.
its better than adjustable as you would need to waste ammo adjusting the adjustable one to make sure it was working.

I honestly dont see a need for any after market gas plug with PPU, S&B, hornady and federal making M2 spec ammo theres just no real need.

Some claim the Garand Gear plug to aid in accuracy by delaying op rod movement until bullet clears the barrel? im pretty sure the bullet is well on its way before the op rod moves.

anyway....the special is a good deal for a refinished,new barrel and stock M1 for a shooter. Have fun and go to some cmp games!

‘Locally’ is a good point, but in eastern Mass throughout New England, you won’t find a better M1 smith than Harry at Noah Motors on Route 1.

You will wait months for it though, but his knowledge and workmanship are above reproach.

Thanks for all the advice...Very excited to start shooting it. The garand gear plug was recommended by some friends who shoot M1's a lot and they say the gun runs great when you have to grab ammo at walmart. Lowers the gas pressures to safe levels.

Mobil1 grease already ordered.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the advice...Very excited to start shooting it. The garand gear plug was recommended by some friends who shoot M1's a lot and they say the gun runs great when you have to grab ammo at walmart. Lowers the gas pressures to safe levels.

Mobil1 grease already ordered.

Thanks again
there's no reason to buy anything other than the PPU or S&B M2 ball spec from cmp. Even at Wal-Mart 30-06 is almost always "hunting" ammo and seldom less than $ 1 round?
At least at the local Wal-Mart's here.
The PPU M2 has been on sale recently as low as .62 per round.

there's no reason to buy anything other than the PPU or S&B M2 ball spec from cmp. Even at Wal-Mart 30-06 is almost always "hunting" ammo and seldom less than $ 1 round?
At least at the local Wal-Mart's here.
The PPU M2 has been on sale recently as low as .62 per round.

Just ordered some PPU Garand safe ammo. Got it at a good price. I’ll stick with that and SB. Thanks again

Just ordered some PPU Garand safe ammo. Got it at a good price. I’ll stick with that and SB. Thanks again
The plug may be a good safety measure but if you start running some hot and heavy hunting loads through it you won't enjoy it as much. Much of the 06_
Out there is higher velocity and heavy bullets. You don't need any added recoil when shooting for score.

I think the best deal for anything other than the M2 offerings from PPU is the creedmoor with lapua bullets and brass for about $1.25 round. Federal gold medal match is good also especially when on sale closer to $1 round.

Back
Top Bottom