• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First LPK- trigger travel question

I just installed a cmmg lower parts kit for the first time. Everything seems to function properly, but the trigger travel seems very short when compared to my smith m&p15. Is this normal for this kit or did I make a rookie mistake?

Tough to answer without actually knowing the difference. 'Very short' is relative & may be OK. I don't have an exact comparison, but I have installed different triggers in factory and self-built lowers. Amount of travel & also over travel can vary significantly.

There's a mod to reduce the amount of travel- uses a set screw above the pistol grip bolt. If you didn't build the lower completely from scratch and the grip was already installed, you could have one of those if the lower came from someone who made such a mod. Check it out on the web- it's a nice mod to consider later assuming the gun is new. If the grip bolt is too long it could interfere with the trigger in a similar fashion. Normally the bolt is short and the hole is not tapped all the way to the top (mod requires tapping).

Mostly, be sure it's safe. Ensure the chamber is empty & check the function of 'safe' and 'fire'. If you are dry firing a lower without the upper, I highly suggest you put a strip of plastic, leather, cardboard etc. at the point where the hammer will strike the lower. Repeated strikes could damage that area- it's only cast aluminum (or billet, depending). Rack open the bolt on an empty mag & release the bolt a few times & make sure the trigger is not accidentally firing.

First time you shoot it, employ the usual uber safe practices for a new or modified gun. Don't load until it's pointed safely downrange and be prepared for an accidental discharge when you release the bolt. Very unlikely, but better to be safe. Start w/ one round, then two to make sure it's not going to accidentally auto cycle.

Sorry if the safety stuff is rather basic, better to mention it than not...

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom