First loads

OK, i've loaded up my first loads.

After a little careful reading and re-reading I'm pretty confident I got it right! Fortunately the Lee website has good instructions for the used press I bought (Lee Indexing Turret Press).

I only loaded 30 rounds of 9mm. 10 each of a low, medium, and high load. I used Alliant Power Pistol at the recomendation of the guys at Four Seasons, but I'm not thrilled with the available load data on the Alliant web site. I will probably switch to Bullseye or Titegroup.

A few lessons learned in the process:
1) Get a tumbler. Cleaning brass with detergent gets it shiny, but it takes forever to dry out!
2) The turret press is a good way to learn loading as there is only one thing happening at a time, but I can see it will be a little slow. I will upgrade to true progressive if I stick with it.
3) Don't forget to prime the case before adding the powder and bullet!
4) Read, re-read, then read again.
5) An inexpensive ballance beam scale can be increased in accuracy by measuring 10 charges at a time (that difficult to read 4.6gn charge becomes 46.x grains).
6) Reloading is fun (I'll be sure of that tomorrow assuming my SIG isn't in bits and pieces!!).

Matt

Your Sig will be perfectly fine. Start with the lower powder loads and see how they work. If it doesn't cycle the gun it is because there isn't enough pressure in the gun. If you're under the max load you'll be fine and won't blow up your gun. Let us know how the ammo works.

When you upgrade:

1.) Buy a Dillon (550 or 650) Don't buy anything else it won't compare!!!
2.) Def. buy a Tumbler. You can get a decent one on Ebay for short money
3.) Don't get a balance beam scale. Buy a digital. More money? yes. But more accurate and MUCH quicker and easier to use.

Reloading can def. be fun but can also be a chore if you shoot a lot. Having a press that can produce great ammo at a decent speed is very helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pete

Well, nothing blew up! So that's a start!

The minimum loads were a little less recoil and would be nice for long range sessions. I wasn't going to be hitting the X ring at 50ft with this gun anyhow (because of me, not the gun!) so I can't say that they were more accurate. i was really looking more for function.

I did get one stovepipe, which I've never had happen before. Possibly because the cases had been reloaded before.

Matt

I’ve found that putting the scale on a separate table works best to keep it zeroed, even then I still recheck it before testing another powder charge.

Once you find out what works in one gun regarding charge and bullet size for function and accuracy keep it written down in your logbook. I found out that what worked for my P220 doesn’t produce the same accuracy in my 1911. The SIG would put the rounds at my POA at 30’, but in the Smith the same rounds put them up and to the right 2-3 inches.

In addition, that the bowling pin rounds for my .44 revolver won’t cycle my Ruger semi-auto carbine reliably.

Welcome to reloading, now you have something to do when it the ranges are too muddy and cold to shoot on the weekends that is related to shooting.

Reloading- you won’t save more, but you will shoot more.

Back
Top Bottom