First Issue FID to a Minor in Framingham

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
My older ( less-shooting ) son applied for his FID today; submitted the paperwork a week and a half ago; this was the first date for pix & prints (Thursdays only, and last week was Thanksgiving).

No problem with the correct ($25) fee; only "bonus" requirement was a utility bill as proof of residence; Hunter Ed cert was accepted; in and out real fast.

"Six to eight weeks"

The real fun will be when my younger son applies....will the PD accept his NRA Apprentice Instructor (Basic pistol, Hone Firearm Safety) credentials for his FID? [laugh]

The real fun will be when my younger son applies....will the PD accept his NRA Apprentice Instructor (Basic pistol, Hone Firearm Safety) credentials for his FID? [laugh]
Not if the PD is following MGL. The only acceptable course certificate is the MA certificate issued by an instructor who has paid the $50 to the state to be licensed to teach the state approved course. Although the NRA courses you list are approved, they don't "count" for MA licensing unless the instructor is also able to issue the state certificate.

That's a way to teach the kid responsibility at an early age.

Absolutely! I actually asked because it was so surprising given the nanny state we live in, but I don't see what utility bill he would have unless you have some sort of rental agreement or he lives on his own? I need ideas for my kids...

Well, actually, a family utility bill was OK.

I suggested a Framingham School Bus Pass (residents only, after all.....) but an Nstar bill was OK.

[rolleyes]

Rob - I know that the course competion cert is required - it was more of a "let's see if common sense works, here" sort of moment....[rofl]. After all, completion of the Instuctor's course for a given discipline is de faco completion of the course itself - that's why the lowest rocker on my Shotgun Qualification patch ensemble is the "Basic Practical" - it's the last one I earned!

Since he's a Hunter's Ed graduate, he's all set....whether or not he has the BP cert.

He helps with classes, and has better stage presence that some that I've seen, into the bargain.

Last edited:
After all, completion of the Instuctor's course for a given discipline is de faco completion of the course itself - that's why the lowest rocker on my Shotgun Qualification patch ensemble is the "Basic Practical" - it's the last one I earned!
Yes, but you are dealing with law and procedure, not common sense.

Good news and congrats to your son! My son (15yrs old) applied for his FID on 28 NOV 2012, his should be ready any day now! He will be thrilled to get the call! Can't wait to take him gun shopping! Hope the lines aren't too long!! Lmao

Back
Top Bottom