First impressions of my XDm40...

I've only been shooting for a few months now and have always shot my own S&W 686 revolver. I tried a co-workers XD40 and fell in love with the feel of the thing. Went to a gun show and purchased an XDm40 last weekend and have been trying to get to shoot it since. Went to the club I belong to today and shot a little and then put 15 rounds through my new S&W 642 revolver.

My impressions of the XDm are WHAT A GUN! I love this thing. I swapped out the backstrap for the large one last night and this thing fits perfectly in my hand. The trigger pull feels nice and smooth, and the sights are setup real good. Here's a couple pictures of the targets that I shot. It was windy and a couple times they fell to the ground, so I just shot the old one that was left up from a previous shooter.

I love this gun.

This first picture was the first 6 shots that I did, and I figured I'd save the target with these 6 shots. The target was about 20 yards away. Not too far, but for me it's a good start.

6shot.jpg

Here's the target that I just finished up with. You can see some of the .38spl holes in it as well. I was shooting just a bit low but not too bad. I think I know what I was doing to make myself shoot low, and think I started to fix it towards the end. It started to drizzle a bit, so I decided it was time to get going. I'm going to need lots and lots and lots of practice.

muiltishot.jpg

Initial impressions of this XDm are WOW. Did I say that I love this gun??

What... no pics of the gun?! C'mon!

Here it is. I was waiting for someone to ask to see it. I changed the backstrap to the large one. This thing fits in my hand better than it did when I first held it, and it was fantastic then. Gotta tell you... I LOVE this gun!!! Sorry for you MA. residents that can't buy these. One of my co-workers has had his for years and would have loved to get a SA1911 but due to the "wisdom" of the politicians down there, he can't. I told him that when it comes time for me to get one, I'll look at the SA 1911 FIRST for him..

DSCN1312-1.jpg

DSCN1306.jpg

Have I said that I love this gun????

I had a chance to shoot my brothers XDm45 when I was out in KS few weeks ago. It just felt right. It's so frustrating we have the restrictions that we have here in MA.

How can you get one in MA?

To channel Walter Sobchak a bit here...

Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are
ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.

The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...

Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These f**king amateurs...

-Mike

To channel Walter Sobchak a bit here...

-Mike

To quote Joe:
So, you guys like to tell jokes, huh? Gigglin' and laughin' like a bunch of young broads sittin' in a schoolyard. Well, let me tell a joke. Five guys, sittin' in a bullpen, in San Quentin. All wondering how the f*** they got there. What should we have done, what didn't we do, who's fault is it, is it my fault, your fault, his fault, all that bullshit. Then one of them says, hey. Wait a minute. When we were planning this caper, all we did was sit around tellin' f***in' jokes! Get the message? Boys, I don't mean to holler at ya. When this caper's over - and I'm sure it'll be a successful one - we'll get down to the Hawaiian Islands, hell, I'll roll and laugh with all of ya. You'll find me a different character down there. Right now, it's a matter of business.

Can we get one?

I will tell you one thing: Don't change a thing on that gun other than the extended mag release and that is my 2 cents.

Can we get one?

From a typical dealer in MA? No, probably never. However, I imagine after the things been out awhile, that some will start showing up on the secondary FTF market, among other things... people will move into the state with them, etc, etc... like I said "there are ways". The only thing you really have to watch out for is make sure the gun you're getting has 10 round mags... as possessing any full cap XD/XDM mag in MA is an instant felony, as none were made before the ban.

-Mike

From a typical dealer in MA? No, probably never. However, I imagine after the things been out awhile, that some will start showing up on the secondary FTF market, among other things... people will move into the state with them, etc, etc... like I said "there are ways". The only thing you really have to watch out for is make sure the gun you're getting has 10 round mags... as possessing any full cap XD/XDM mag in MA is an instant felony, as none were made before the ban.

-Mike

FYI,

I believe Springfield said they are working on 10 round mag's for the XDm as there are more than one state that has a limit.

The downside of 19+1 rounds is that it's harder to pace yourself at the range. [smile]

I absolutely love my XD 45 Tactical.
I went to the gun shop with full intentions of buying a G22 and came home with the XD 45 instead. I was able to handle the .45 Compact and the .45 Tactical. The grip on the C was just too short for my hand, leaving my pinky finger to dangle in no mans land while the Tact. was perfect. I knew once I held it that this weapon would be part of my family for a loooong time.
I added a new, solid, "Clone", guide rod and replacement spring from Don's Guide Rods and feel like it was well worth the investment.
I guess the only part I don't like about the 45 is it costs almost 35 cents every time I send one down the pipe, but my hey, it's my hobby and most hobbies are never cheap to begin with. LMAO

Congrats on your new addition, happy shooting

I absolutely love my xD .40. I'd love to get my hands on an xDm. Is there a way to "convert" their 16rd mags to 10 rders? Is that something gunsmiths can do?

I absolutely love my xD .40. I'd love to get my hands on an xDm. Is there a way to "convert" their 16rd mags to 10 rders? Is that something gunsmiths can do?

Since the mags come apart to clean would a plug the same size of the inside of the mag work to shrink the space?

Since the mags come apart to clean would a plug the same size of the inside of the mag work to shrink the space?

I'm not sure, but I'd think that in order to make them MA compliant they'd need to be permanently altered to 10 rd mags. Could you weld it in or something?

Back
Top Bottom