• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First IDPA competition!

CosmoKramer

NES Member
Any advice out there about first time IDPA competition ? I know it’s all about time and accuracy and safety, but should my concentration be on hitting targets or speed the first time around ? Or just finishing a stage without any major catastrophe.

safety, focus all rounds where they need to go. speed will come later.
Go slow just to finish so you don’t get DQ for something stupid like finger in trigger guard during reload.
This.
You'll see other experienced shooters who are shooting faster, but don't try to keep up with them on your first match. Take your time (especially when holstering - not on the clock), and go for accuracy. Speed will come with more experience.

Any advice out there about first time IDPA competition ? I know it’s all about time and accuracy and safety, but should my concentration be on hitting targets or speed the first time around ? Or just finishing a stage without any major catastrophe.

Mouth closed, ears open (edit: people will be talking strategy, listen to them, or watch them as they look at the course) . Otherwise, don't be afraid to ask questions. Just have fun for the first time though. Don't get bogged down trying to overthink it.

One thing I would ask is: How is the target scored if you fire more than the prescribed round count. Where I played, it was the best 2, if it was a 2 shot string. I missed out on a lot of points when I knew I slung one a little. I could have fired another round and run 'perfect' runs. I don't know enough about the actual rules to know if that was a local thing or actual rule for IDPA. I'll probably dive deep into the rules next year when I no longer have a badge and the time constraints that go along with it.

Again, stay safe, have some fun, push yourself a little. Life's boring when you're comfortable.

Mouth closed, ears open (edit: people will be talking strategy, listen to them, or watch them as they look at the course) . Otherwise, don't be afraid to ask questions. Just have fun for the first time though. Don't get bogged down trying to overthink it.

One thing I would ask is: How is the target scored if you fire more than the prescribed round count. Where I played, it was the best 2, if it was a 2 shot string. I missed out on a lot of points when I knew I slung one a little. I could have fired another round and run 'perfect' runs. I don't know enough about the actual rules to know if that was a local thing or actual rule for IDPA. I'll probably dive deep into the rules next year when I no longer have a badge and the time constraints that go along with it.

Again, stay safe, have some fun, push yourself a little. Life's boring when you're comfortable.
Depends on the stage. If it’s a standards stage for example, then it’s limited round count.

Safety first. Shot placement second. Work on speed later after the first two are mastered.

It was a lot to absorb for my first (and sadly) only match. I just didn't have the time to expend but I'll tell you this. I had a freaking blast doing the intro class at HSC several years back. I really wanted to get into it.

Familiarize yourself with the basic safety rules of the game. Learn the range commands. Don’t do anything faster than the safety officer is speaking. (Lots of seasoned guys can’t even follow that little tidbit)
Once you are comfortable with what you’re doing you can concentrate on accuracy and speed in that order. Have fun! Nice gun.

Safety
Complete stage
Accuracy
Speed
Fun

remember- slow is smooth, smooth is (becomes) fast. Unless you’re an adolescent, you can’t miss fast enough to win.

You have nothing to prove, so be safe and have fun.

Depends on the stage. If it’s a standards stage for example, then it’s limited round count.

I figured it was something like that. Kinda like passing below the white line in NASCAR, you can, kinda, in certain situations, maybe.

I plan on doing more competition shooting starting maybe the year after next. Next year is a write off time wise. Then get on the websites and start digging into where the edges of the box is and stay just inside (or on) the lines. The 4 or 5 times I shot IDPA I was solidly in the top 20%, a couple of times I was 4th or 5th. The guys who beat me had competition guns and from asking around were pretty serious about it. I was shooting my duty HnK with no bells or whistles. If I'd known the actual rules, I would have probably won one or two the the outings.

Don't get DQ'ed and don't shoot anyone. Just finish through the stages.

Don't get DQ'ed and don't shoot anyone. Just finish through the stages.

Especially don't shoot the safety officers....they are good people who are volunteering their time for the sake of the sport ;-)

Accuracy trumps speed...you can't shoot fast enough to make up for bad hits in IDPA. Don't forget your cover garment. Remember to "slice the pie". Bring your sense of humor and something to eat & drink. This time of year....dress warm.

After you learn the basic rules and finish a few matches safely, forget all this "speed will come later" bullshit you hear from underachievers. When it comes to mopping up your adversaries in the results, speed and accuracy are inseparable, like the Lenny and Carl of practical shooting. One is pointless without the other.

After you learn the basic rules and finish a few matches safely, forget all this "speed will come later" bullshit you hear from underachievers. When it comes to mopping up your adversaries in the results, speed and accuracy are inseparable, like the Lenny and Carl of practical shooting. One is pointless without the other.

No...... just no.

Accuracy. Then EFFICIENCY. You will look fast without trying to be fast. Economy of motion will always trump covering it up with twitch muscle raw speed.

No...... just no.

Accuracy. Then EFFICIENCY. You will look fast without trying to be fast. Economy of motion will always trump covering it up with twitch muscle raw speed.

Hit factor depends only on points per second (or whatever the equivalent is in IDPA I don't know). Efficiency is just an inherent aspect of speed. You can't have a good stage time if you're inefficient, like you can't have a good quarter mile if you zig zag, that stuff just goes without saying. And no one thinks twitch muscle raw speed is important in practical shooting, just look at the top 10 at nationals, not exactly world class athletes as they themselves admit.

If you're slow it doesn't matter how accurate you are. If you're inaccurate it doesn't matter how fast you are.

Hit factor depends only on points per second (or whatever the equivalent is in IDPA I don't know). Efficiency is just an inherent aspect of speed. You can't have a good stage time if you're inefficient, like you can't have a good quarter mile if you zig zag, that stuff just goes without saying. And no one thinks twitch muscle raw speed is important in practical shooting, just look at the top 10 at nationals, not exactly world class athletes as they themselves admit.

If you're slow it doesn't matter how accurate you are. If you're inaccurate it doesn't matter how fast you are.

Right.... except if you tell people 'speed' they end up skipping the important aspects of developing economy of motion... so it really ends up being best to not discuss 'speed' to someone getting into the sport until you take out wasted movement.

Hit factor is irrelevant in IDPA. It is time plus your points down. Accuracy is more important than speed. Missing a target is 5 seconds... hitting the outside is 3 seconds. 1 or 2 seconds aiming will give you a better score. Accuracy over speed is the game.

After you learn the basic rules and finish a few matches safely, ... When it comes to mopping up your adversaries in the results, speed and accuracy are inseparable, like the Lenny and Carl of practical shooting. One is pointless without the other.
Evaluate these competing schools of thought
by writing them as captions on a portrait of the Dalai Lama.

You can't have a good stage time if you're inefficient, like you can't have a good quarter mile if you zig zag, that stuff just goes without saying.
SkinnyIlliterateDaddylonglegs-max-1mb.gif

First time on any competion:

1. Focus on being safe.
2. Focus on learning the rules and strategy.
3. Focus on hitting targets in the A zone.

A distant 4 ... speed.

Speed will come with time and practice.

Back
Top Bottom