• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First home handgun; several choices... suggestions?

I've tried several handguns over the last few weeks, and I've spent countless hours watching YouTube videos, reading article reviews, and reviewing forum posts.

While I know many people hate these kinds of posts, I'm really hoping some of you will chime in with some info/suggestions. It's difficult to judge many of the options being a "newbie", and also seeing as MA has special versions of many of the guns I've been researching (so reviews that tout awesome triggers, etc probably won't carry over).

So here's what I've narrowed my list down to for my first home defense/range gun:

Sig P226 --- I found it to shoot very well in 9mm. Price does scare me (I'm on a tight budget esp with the holidays coming up), but I have found several used versions in .40 cal that would be easier on my wallet.

M&P 9/9C --- This didnt shoot as well for me: but the price is easier to swallow. I like the feel and aesthetic of the gun, along with the aftermarket support and the fact that it's a local company helps. I do realize a trigger is a must adding to cost. I'm temped by the 9C with the more compact size should I decide to carry, and the extended mag to provide a better grip at the range

HP VP9--- Highly regarded out of the box (is the MA trigger still good?): Catches a similar price to a MP9 with trigger? Felt good in my hand (still not as good as the Sig). But aftermarket support is limited still?

Glock 23 --- I enjoyed the Glock too. Not too bad price-wise. I'm not sure I want to buy used for my first handgun (seeing as I don't know what to look for yet...). Lots of aftermarket support and the option to use pre-ban mags? Will likely have to purchase the 9mm barrel to make it more affordable to shoot at the range.

if anybody else can comment on any of these, I'd be very appreciative. The Sig 320 and 229 are some of the others on my list: but I didn't get to shoot those, and the 320 doesn't seem to be easy to come by.

Thank you you all for your time!

I would not recommend the double action pistol (Sig). VP9 trigger is excellent, the mag release might take some time to get used to it, VP9 is also a relatively new firearm.

Other than that - they all are solid choices.

Out of those listed my choices would be:
1) Sig 226
2) M&P9c
3) HK VP9
4) still wouldn't get a Glock. Hate the looks and the grip angle.

My first choice would always be a Walther PPQ or P99, preferably P99c for me as I'd want to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All guns should be Glocks.
All Glocks should be 9mm.
All 9mm Glocks should be Glock 19s.

You should buy a Glock 19. 9mm is the right choice for 2-legged defense and most people (and law enforcement agencies) have stopped arguing against that. Just make sure your defensive mags are loaded with quality hollow point ammo, NOT just whatever JHPs were on the shelf at Walmart.

You should buy a Glock 19. 9mm is the right choice for 2-legged defense and most people (and law enforcement agencies) have stopped arguing against that. Just make sure your defensive mags are loaded with quality hollow point ammo, NOT just whatever JHPs were on the shelf at Walmart.

O rly?

My home defense firearm is a M&P9 loaded with walmart-shelf grade FMJs.

O rly?

My home defense firearm is a M&P9 loaded with walmart-shelf grade FMJs.

To each their own as far as the gun is concerned. I think M&Ps just exist because S&W realized they could capitalize on all the people who pointlessly hate Glocks.

As for your use of FMJs for defense... You are woefully under-informed and a danger to people around you (not just the bad guy) if you ever have to use that gun. Go read an article or two. It's not an opinion, but a fact that JHPs are more effective and less likely to produce collateral damage.

Is that a James Yeager quote?

To each their own as far as the gun is concerned. I think M&Ps just exist because S&W realized they could capitalize on all the people who pointlessly hate Glocks.

As for your use of FMJs for defense... You are woefully under-informed and a danger to people around you (not just the bad guy) if you ever have to use that gun. Go read an article or two. It's not an opinion, but a fact that JHPs are more effective and less likely to produce collateral damage.

spock.jpe

Woefully under-informed? I'm not the one over paying for ammo by $2 per round or whatever top shelf "carry" ammo is going for these days. As to being a danger to people around me, your JHPs are just as likely to go through walls. JHPs are designed to deform when they hit soft targets, not sheetrock and insulation.

I live in a wooded area in a house that has foot-thick insulated concrete form walls. I'm not too worried about it.

Woefully under-informed? I'm not the one over paying for ammo by $2 per round or whatever top shelf "carry" ammo is going for these days. As to being a danger to people around me, your JHPs are just as likely to go through walls. JHPs are designed to deform when they hit soft targets, not sheetrock and insulation.

I live in a wooded area in a house that has foot-thick insulated concrete form walls. I'm not too worried about it.

At least use WWB JHP's if you're going for cheap stuff... it will at least have a chance to deform rather than pass through doing minimal damage.

I have a P226 in .40 in a handgun safe next to my bed, for what it's worth. I think it fits the bill just fine for a home defense handgun IMO. I make sure I take it with me on my trips to the range so I can put some rounds through it to stay familiar and comfortable with it....just in case there's ever a situation where I need to use it defensively.

Im thinking about the SW MPShield 9mm for my first gun. Ive done alot of research on the shield and it seems that it is the right size for both range and CC (my ultimate goal to is cc when i feel comfortable) money is defintly an issue when it comes to buying my first gun. Ive read alot of posts about people saying your first purchase should be a full size gun. Any thought?

If you can't afford multiple guns I see no issue with buying one that you can easily conceal but is still fun to shoot and can be used for home defense. I'd rather get a Walther PPS M2 if I were you. Beats out the G43 and even Performance Center Shield in every comparison I've seen. Has 3 mag options with different grip lengths 6,7, and 8rd. Many people say it handles like a full size gun but is very slim and concealable. Excellent ergonomics and 100% reliable. My own preference is toward double stack compacts. I carry a Walther P99c 10+1 capacity and also accepts full size 15rd mags with a grip adaptor as a backup mag and for home defense duties. Kind of like a carry gun and full size gun all in one depending on which mag I'm using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait what?[laugh2]

Glock 22 15+1, Glock 23 13+1, Glock 27 10+1 with Pearce +1 base plate. Preban mags are readily available and not too $$. The 22 (or 23) would be perfect a perfect house gun. Also, you may be surprised that the gen 2, 2 1/2 Glocks have pretty awesome triggers. My 22 has a 3.5 and the 27 has a 5 pound trigger. No need to waste $100 getting the trigger fixed. [grin] Another bonus is that in the future, the .40 should be readily available after the SHTF. (Based on the billions of rounds .gov purchased.)

Surprised that there aren't more than a handful of revolver guys. Been looking for a model 10 but its impossible without paying that massachusetts premium.

Back
Top Bottom