• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First home handgun; several choices... suggestions?

To be honest. I didn't find the M&P to be that horrible. The issue I have is the reset is hard to feel. But after 500 rounds I no longer need to feel it to know when it resets. I had every intent to swap in an apex but have learned to shoot my m&p 45c well. Even with the 10lb trigger. I found shooting it as is has made me a better shot with guns with a better trigger.

I had the same attitude towards the bad trigger on the M&P as you did initially. When I improved the trigger by replacing the springs, I realized how dumb that was. My groups tightened a lot, it let me work on other problems with my shooting that weren't being caused by the trigger. If you are going to consider the M&P, my advice would be to factor the cost of a trigger job (~$80-$100) into the price and then compare that new adjusted price to the others that you are considering.

I love the feel of it in my hand, and with a trigger job its all around nice.

My BIL just picked one of these up last night....I was very jealous....lol

32238-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Did they change the design of the mags at any time? Or are they all the same/readily available?

one of the positives for the Glock IMO was the fact that preban mags were available, but if the 226 has them as easily available, I'll scratch it off my list for now.

Still: I think the M&P is the bargain of the bunch I listed (at least when considering new), even with a $100 trigger

Not sure what a pre-ban Sig 226 mag goes for, but a good condition G17 or G19 square notch mag sells on Gunbroker at prices north of $100. G22 or G23 .40 mags are cheaper and more numerous than Glock 9mm mags. U-notch mags, even 9mm, go for about 1/2 the price of a square notch mag.

Not sure what a pre-ban Sig 226 mag goes for, but a good condition G17 or G19 square notch mag sells on Gunbroker at prices north of $100. G22 or G23 .40 mags are cheaper and more numerous than Glock 9mm mags. U-notch mags, even 9mm, go for about 1/2 the price of a square notch mag.
That's what I was trying to get at with the SIG mags... I know Glock mags are available, and I know I read something along the lines of different notches: but I have no idea what the difference is.

Any chance you can point me in the direction explaining one over the other, without throwing this thread off topic? Thanks!

My go to pistol is G-23 .40 S&W with 2 spare mags. I think the type/caliber is less important than how quickly it can be deployed. Having a well thought out home defense tactical plan is a must, practice, practice.

Also consider a miss, where are the rounds going 'downrange'. If you light up the house next door be prepared for a legal S-storm.

I carried a shotgun in the service, In my experience the sound of racking a 12 G round in the chamber will turn anyones legs to jelly and mind into mush. I'd much rather prevent an intruder from proceeding with his plan, you always win. Engaging in CQC is a dicy proposition no matter how good you are...

Good luck

My go to pistol is G-23 .40 S&W with 2 spare mags. I think the type/caliber is less important than how quickly it can be deployed. Having a well thought out home defense tactical plan is a must, practice, practice.

Also consider a miss, where are the rounds going 'downrange'. If you light up the house next door be prepared for a legal S-storm.

I carried a shotgun in the service, In my experience the sound of racking a 12 G round in the chamber will turn anyones legs to jelly and mind into mush. I'd much rather prevent an intruder from proceeding with his plan, you always win. Engaging in CQC is a dicy proposition no matter how good you are...

Good luck

I agree. Sound of racking a shell isn't one anyone wants to hear while pulling a B&E. But unless you get a keltec ksg your working with a very limited capacity.

Assuming you don't have little child hands the Beretta is a great choice. People gripe about the slide safety but it's really not an issue once you've shot the gun a few boxes later.
Prebans can be found for much less expensive than Glock magazines. If you really like the Sigs then there's no reason why you wouldn't like the 92 series pistols.
And also because I have it an excellent hype post a few weeks ago.
IMG_1849.jpg

Sig P226 --- I found it to shoot very well in 9mm. Price does scare me (I'm on a tight budget esp with the holidays coming up), but I have found several used versions in .40 cal that would be easier on my wallet.

Of your four primary choices I'd go with the P226. Being new to handguns I think the SA/DA is a good choice for you until you have more experience handling handguns. You can keep one in the chamber with the hammer down and still have a long trigger pull for the first round. Especially as a home defense gun where you may be fumbling along in the dark.

your handgun gets you to your shotgun in a home defense situation. Focus on comfort

I see this repeated a lot on the internet and I do agree a long gun is better than a handgun for self defense, but how often has this played out in civilian self defense? I can't foresee myself being in such a long firefight in my home that I have to fire and maneuver to a long gun.

I see this repeated a lot on the internet and I do agree a long gun is better than a handgun for self defense, but how often has this played out in civilian self defense? I can't foresee myself being in such a long firefight in my home that I have to fire and maneuver to a long gun.

If you're not a drug dealer the probability of any of this stuff ever happening is ridiculously low.

If you're not a drug dealer the probability of any of this stuff ever happening is ridiculously low.

Low yes, as low as you'd like, tell that to Dr. Petit.
Wiki reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

I keep a handgun, (knife and flashlight), within reach. Not because I really believe that someone will kick my door down, but if they do, I'd hate to know that I could have had a gun in my hand to meet them and chose not to.

Knock knock, Reaper’s here.
http://www.grahamtradecraft.com/?s=reaper

As I always tell my kids "Plan for the worst, hope for the best, you'll always be prepared."

I have a free state M&P9 FS and I must say, the trigger isn't all that bad. Is it perfect, not by far, but its definitely easy to get used to and work with. IMHO, when someone is breaking into your house or you need to defend yourself from an attack, the last thing you are going to care about is a trigger pull or trigger reset. I feel like some people get way to hung up on this. In a static shooting situation, competition, shooting steel etc...then yes a better, cleaner, trigger pull can certainly help. Pick a gun, buy ammo and practice as much as you can. The M&P is a great gun. I own both Glocks (23/19) and M&Ps (40c/9FS) and each have their pros and cons. It really comes down to the fit and feel that best suits you as the shooter.

Also, as others have stated, a good HD gun would be a shotgun. Perhaps you should buy one of each[smile]

Maybe I should re-title this thread! I'm certainly looking for a handgun, mostly for range action though. I just see it as being a nice addition to our German shepherd for home security.

I'm not overly worried about a home invasion: but I didn't want people to think I'm looking for a carry gun (although I do like the idea of the MP9c essentially having two grip lengths should I choose to carry eventually)

I know you didn't want more choices, but the Ruger SR9C is underrated and priced really nice. I own several Glocks and a Sig and I don't want to say it, but I think I like the Ruger the best. Home defense gun is a S&W 357 revolver.

There is mucho info on Glock mags in the threads, but it's not that easy to find. Just as a quick reference for general use, review the attached photo, which is found elsewhere in the threads. Note that the first 4 mags, 3 u-notch, and the fourth, a distinct square notch with low "9mm" stamped on it. The only problem with this photo is that there are other variations not included in this photo. For example, pre-ban Glock mags do exist where the "9mm" is higher on the mag (similar to the two post-ban mags on the far right).

There are other things to look for such as the metal window (ambi-mag release cut) in a Glock mag, shown in the the next attachment. These are post-ban mags (mag in the middle). The mag on the far right is a Gen4 (dual cut) mag for someone that is a lefty and wants to switch the mag release button to the right side of the frame.

It's hard not to go wrong with a u-notch mag, but keep in mind that they are a minimum of 22 years old, so you might want to use a newer 10-round mag and use the u-notch for backup (but make sure that it will function as intended). Unless you are LEO, stay away from any standard capacity Glock mag that is marked restricted.

Most likely other users will disagree on some aspects on Glock mags, but this is intended for beginner's use.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• p (4).jpg
    p (4).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 13
  • glock mags.jpg
    glock mags.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 126
  • GlockMags post.jpg
    GlockMags post.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 127
Low yes, as low as you'd like, tell that to Dr. Petit.
Wiki reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

I keep a handgun, (knife and flashlight), within reach. Not because I really believe that someone will kick my door down, but if they do, I'd hate to know that I could have had a gun in my hand to meet them and chose not to.

Knock knock, Reaper’s here.
http://www.grahamtradecraft.com/?s=reaper

As I always tell my kids "Plan for the worst, hope for the best, you'll always be prepared."

I think everyone is agreeing that having a firearm for self defense is a good idea. Whether that be a handgun, rifle, shotgun, or flamethrower, whatever. The comment was on how often the situation comes up that one has to use a handgun to fight their way to their long gun. That may be a discussion worthy of its own thread.

There is mucho info on Glock mags in the threads, but it's not that easy to find. Just as a quick reference for general use, review the attached photo, which is found elsewhere in the threads. Note that the first 4 mags, 3 u-notch, and the fourth, a distinct square notch with low "9mm" stamped on it. The only problem with this photo is that there are other variations not included in this photo. For example, pre-ban Glock mags do exist where the "9mm" is higher on the mag (similar to the two post-ban mags on the far right).

There are other things to look for such as the metal window (ambi-mag release cut) in a Glock mag, shown in the the next attachment. These are post-ban mags (mag in the middle). The mag on the far right is a Gen4 (dual cut) mag for someone that is a lefty and wants to switch the mag release button to the right side of the frame.

It's hard not to go wrong with a u-notch mag, but keep in mind that they are a minimum of 22 years old, so you might want to use a newer 10-round mag and use the u-notch for backup (but make sure that it will function as intended). Unless you are LEO, stay away from any standard capacity Glock mag that is marked restricted.

Most likely other users will disagree on some aspects on Glock mags, but this is intended for beginner's use.

Very helpful! Thanks!

i just got out of work early: may head over the the store now and spend some money.

I would pull the trigger on a VP9... as I said.. I have both the M&P9 and the VP9. 2nd owner on the VP9, the M&P is brand new out of the box. The VP9 is a much easier shooter. I never understood the whole trigger thing, until I shot both side by side.

There's a VP9LE on the classifieds for $550. I'd grab that in a heartbeat.

This x2 ..the night sights are fantastic. Also , throw your favorite weapon light on it and you've got a great home defense gun that is also a good range gun.

both of these are good choices

M&P 9FS / Glock 19 Gen4

IMG_2471_zpsif3ppdd1.jpg

Close up of the M&P w/light

IMG_2470_zpsfznhlja9.jpg

Last edited:
Just to throw in my 2c, I'd suggest a G19. It's a good compromise in size for range use and carry when you decide to do that. You'll likely want to keep it forever, but in case you don't it holds value wel and there are prebans pretty readily available. Low cap mags are cheap, parts, accessories, and accoutrements are also cheap and common. I don't see a lot of downside to having one even if you don't love it.

It's not on your lest but if you can find one I strongly recommend the Walther PPQ M2. Is available with 10rd mags. Excellent ergonomics, 100% reliable, with the best trigger on any polymer gun in production. Just over $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not on your lest but if you can find one I strongly recommend the Walther PPQ M2. Is available with 10rd mags. Excellent ergonomics, 100% reliable, with the best trigger on any polymer gun in production. Just over $500.

You need to add in the Mass Surcharge / Tax. Love the PPQ M2, especially 5". Last 4" I saw sell was $650, without mag size it is post 98. Love the trigger and ergs, especially since I am a lefty. Very hard gun to find in the People's Republic

Smith and Wesson would be my choice. Smith and Wesson 45 is my choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom