• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First HK acquired: HK 45 compact

mav

NES Member
I've been wanting to acquire an HK for a while. Finally pulled the trigger on a NIB HK 45 compact. I was looking for a compact 45ACP as I already have a full size Sig 220 Scorpion and wanted another .45 that was easier to carry. Loving the HK as is, but as I always get the itch to tinker with my firearms. I'm curious if there are upgrades long-time HK owners recommend making. I've got a bunch of Glocks that eventually got tweaked and guccified because the aftermarket for Glocks is so large. Not familiar with what's out there for HK. It's already got night sights and I wanted the safety/decocker. Not sure what else might want/need tweaking.

Nice.
I have a full size.
Sadly the aftermarket isn't much
Sights and a match or lem trigger is about it.
Red dot plate from trijicon is what I have.
I'll get some pics in moment if you like

HK products are high quality and worth the money. The only con is magazine capacity. Wish they added a few more rounds. However, the pros easily outweigh the cons. Enjoy! It’s a soft shooting .45 for sure.

I hit up @Dean Safety 2 weeks ago and picked one up myself. Eventually I will swap to night sights but otherwise it feels damn near perfect. 10 rd elephant foot mags are unobtainable right now. I found some online but they were $70ea. Gunmagwarehouse has 8 rders in stock for $43.

I meant to mention that as well.
Compact mags are a whole lot easier to find than full size mags though.

A few months back, midwest gunworks got them in stock.
There notification system is pretty quick when you sign up for it

I understand the desire to tinker, but honestly, it's a fine firearm as is. Wanna monkey? Build an AR from scratch. It's easy, cost effective and it will satisfy "all the urges."

Mostly it will keep you F'ing up a perfectly good HK.

I understand the desire to tinker, but honestly, it's a fine firearm as is. Wanna monkey? Build an AR from scratch. It's easy, cost effective and it will satisfy "all the urges."

Mostly it will keep you F'ing up a perfectly good HK.
If you have any mechanical ability, its not that hard to switch out and do a trigger job/ change a mag release.

Youtube it

I'd love to pick one of these up at some point. The question to myself though would be one of "classic" vs "modern". Do I get an Insight UTL M2 light because it's iconic for the HK USP 45, or do I get a modern light with far more lumens and is more compact (the insight looks massive)? If I were planning on EDC, then probably the latter.

I'd love to pick one of these up at some point. The question to myself though would be one of "classic" vs "modern". Do I get an Insight UTL M2 light because it's iconic for the HK USP 45, or do I get a modern light with far more lumens and is more compact (the insight looks massive)? If I were planning on EDC, then probably the latter.
Usp 45 and hk 45 are 2 different guns

Usp 45 has proprietary rail
Hk45 has picitinny rail

Usp 45 and hk 45 are 2 different guns

Usp 45 has proprietary rail
Hk45 has picitinny rail
And usp has same recoil system as mk23 (a double one, if I remember correctly), where hk45 is only single recoil spring. So theoretically, the usp will be more pleasant to shoot suppressed.

HK is perfection the way the Germans intended it to be. Though, if your eyes suck more than the average poors, Trijicons with the orange front and the blacked out rear are nice. Or do what the zoomer generation shooters do and slap on a red dot.

Usp's are commanding a bit more.
But it seems more for the 9mm,40,and then 45.

The hk45 full size floats between $800-$1000 unless you can find a killer deal.

Funny enough, usp mags are a lot easier to find than hk45 mags
You're right. Inexplicablly many/most stores here are charging near $1K for a new one which is absurd. Dean Safety and Mags both at the mill regularly have them for sale for mid $775 out the door. Bought one last month.

ETA: Here's his add. Just bumped today. WTS - BNIB HK HK45 and HK45C

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom