• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First handgun

OK, I realize this must have been discussed oodles and oodles of times already, but I am looking for my first handgun (not counting what I had as a kid when no permits were needed LOL). I have read everything I could and am "almost" certain that I want a Glock due to its extreme simplicity and reliability, even though I will be forced to buy used. I don't care about concealed carry only about how it fits in my hand and shooting accuracy. I have medium sized hands. I also don't care about extreme "knock down power". I am thinking 9mm for perhaps a bit more accuracy and cheaper ammo. The Glock 17 may well be the ticket. The MA compliant Glock 19 does not seem to be as readily available. If I need the smaller gun to fit my hand, I may end up upping the caliber and going to the Glock 23. Any insight would be appreciated. Is my focus on the Glock too narrow? Everything I read about gun comparisons always points me back to the Glock.

Welcome to NES!!!! I would suggest that before you put out any money on a new firearm, try before you buy. There are a lot of variables to consider, as you have written grip size and fit is one of many. Everything from caliber, style (wheeled, striker, 1911), intent of use, just to name a few.

Sucks to spend hard earned $$$$ to shoot the gun and find out you don't like it for one reason or another. Most new Ma. compliant guns are fairly expensive, there are some good deals found in the classified here on NES.

Best suggestion is go to a range that rents guns and try out as many as possible. Another excellent option is go "green" on NES and get to a members event, meet some people and I think you will find most are willing to let you try thier guns and you can get a great deal of info and opinion.

So wlecome, go green, try, buy and then prepare to buy many more!!!!!! [smile]

Light weight and larger capacity are two big pluses for glocks as ccw pieces, however since it seems like you are looking for a range toy, I wouldn't exclude berettas or sigs. They are a bit heavier but that will translate to less felt recoil, a brand new 92fs can be had for the same price as a used g19

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

If it's at all convenient for you (geographically) I'd be more than happy to let you shoot my G19 sometime @ Harvard.

If it's at all convenient for you (geographically) I'd be more than happy to let you shoot my G19 sometime @ Harvard.

Same offer with the option for my G17 at Harvard or Harverhill.
I got some other choices but that is my only Glock.

Tballs and Dirtypacman, thank you very much for these generous offers to introduce me to these Glocks. I have had them in my hand but not fired them so I would very much like to take you up on this. I am super busy the next couple of weeks with work and would love to contact you after that to arrange something.

Whenever your ready Jim I am always up for a range trip. Maybe we can make it happen that both of us can meet you at harvard so you can check em out in one session.

This is a common question but since you gave us details about what you're looking for it's a good question to ask.

I agree the 9 mm is a great affordable round. I would pay extra for a glock 19 instead of going with a 23 if that's what you want because the 9 mm ammo will save you money in the not so far future. I think you'll find the 19 is the perfect size. Don't let the Glock monikers of "full size", "compact" and "sub compact" mislead you--the G19 compact is a "normal" size pistol in my opinion. The 19 and 23 are often carried as "duty pistols" instead of the 17 or 22. Plus if you compare diminesions I believe all the Glock 9 mm and .40 models have the same grip width and trigger pull length anyways. The 17 and 22 are obviously larger/heavier and have more grip height, but unless you have large hands I don't think that will help your grip any.

Definately try it before you buy it. If you can't or find yourself in a store with money burning a hole in your pocket ASK if you can dry fire the Glock to at least experience the Glock trigger. It's unique and some people just can't get used to it.

My first gun was a Glock 17.

I will say that the Glock trigger takes a fair bit of work to get used to. Novice right-handed shooters tend to shoot low and left with one.

This is a common question but since you gave us details about what you're looking for it's a good question to ask.

I agree the 9 mm is a great affordable round. I would pay extra for a glock 19 instead of going with a 23 if that's what you want because the 9 mm ammo will save you money in the not so far future. I think you'll find the 19 is the perfect size. Don't let the Glock monikers of "full size", "compact" and "sub compact" mislead you--the G19 compact is a "normal" size pistol in my opinion. The 19 and 23 are often carried as "duty pistols" instead of the 17 or 22. Plus if you compare diminesions I believe all the Glock 9 mm and .40 models have the same grip width and trigger pull length anyways. The 17 and 22 are obviously larger/heavier and have more grip height, but unless you have large hands I don't think that will help your grip any.

Definately try it before you buy it. If you can't or find yourself in a store with money burning a hole in your pocket ASK if you can dry fire the Glock to at least experience the Glock trigger. It's unique and some people just can't get used to it.

The only reason I threw the 23 on the table is that I see lots of 17s around but not 19s (for example on the Four Seasons listings). I think I must hold out for the 9mm that fits my hand. Trying the 17 and 19 will make all the difference in the world in making the right choice. Then I am willing to be patient to find a good one on the used market. At least I had experience squeezing the Glock trigger in the MFS safety class that I took. The class was small so we got to shoot a lot with the simulator. I understand it is not the same as firing live but it still gives a fairly good feel.

hey, i have a 17 and 2 , 26's if you want to try out the subcompact with and without a finger grip extension, i found it more comfortable than a 19, so you could try out the entire line of glocks in one session ..

I found the glocks to shoot real well for me but just never found the feel for them. theres just something about a hunk of steel and wood grips ?
Try Try Try.

Welcome to NES ! This place is a great source for all of your questions about firearms, ammo and darn near anything else you can think of.

I am a Glock hater but recognize the greatness that is Glock. Those butt ugly plastic guns just work and work and....

I am sure one of the Glock officianados will correct me if I am wrong, but I thought all Glocks had basically the same grip size and it was just the length that varied? There was a show on the Outdoor channel the other day called " Gun Stories" and they featured Glock.

Best of luck with your first handgun.

I found the glocks to shoot real well for me but just never found the feel for them. theres just something about a hunk of steel and wood grips ?
Try Try Try.
I've only tried it once, but I think that the 4th gen really the feel in the hand.

hey, i have a 17 and 2 , 26's if you want to try out the subcompact with and without a finger grip extension, i found it more comfortable than a 19, so you could try out the entire line of glocks in one session ..

Yes, yes, and yes! I want to try them.

Back
Top Bottom