• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First handgun - New S&W SW22 Victory

Hey, thought I'd share my experience so far with my first pistol - the new Smith and Wesson Victory .22LR. Instead of a good carry or HD gun (already have an 870P for that), I wanted a gun that would be a good platform to learn with. The Buckmarks and Ruger .22s are nice but I've heard nothing but bad things about taking them apart for maintenance. The Victory, though, comes apart with the removal of one screw. On top of that, there's a lot of bang for the buck in the features department, too. I called around and located one not too far away a few days ago. I'm not a collector, but a serial number of less than 1,000 is pretty cool - don't worry, this thing will be shot plenty. This pistol is all stainless steel so it has a very solid heft to it and the grip is comfortable for my medium-sized hand.

Range report
Shot 300 rounds of CCI SV through the Victory yesterday. Very proud to say that group on the right is 10 rounds fired at about 9 or 10 yards. That's exactly what I was hoping to see out of this pistol. Not all of my groups were that good, but this was, of course, my first time shooting the gun. The factory sights are excellent, green fiber optics all around and a fully adjustable Williams at the rear. I didn't adjust anything and after shooting it, I don't plan to.
There were a couple of hiccups, and they were easily fixed. Two FTFs resulting in two dented cases got me pretty worried but I quickly found that the take-down screw had actually loosened a bit after 200 or so rounds - the barrel, bolt, and slide could actually wobble lightly on top of the frame. I tightened it back up, problem solved. Once back at home, I removed, Loctited, and replaced the screw. I guess it's not too surprising that a screw like that could work itself loose from lots of firing, but it was disconcerting at the time.

Overall, I was very, very happy with the gun. After 300 rounds, and the end of my lunch break approaching, I had to pack it in - otherwise I could have shot that thing all afternoon.

Smith worked with the aftermarket while they were developing the gun, so Volquartsen barrels are already available. Custom grips will also be out before too long. A larger/longer slide release would be nice, maybe that'll happen too. While adjusting my grip once, I did inadvertently engage the safety. There is a magazine disconnect that can be easily removed (I've seen a YouTube video on that already). The rear sight assembly can be removed and replaced with an (included) picatinny rail that has a notch at the rear to continue shooting with open sights.

Looking forward to many thousands of rounds through this gun, can't wait till my next range trip.
Thanks, have a great weekend
Steve

Last edited:
I've read lots of great things about them, and also that they're a pain to disassemble. Of course, that's not a reason in itself to reject it. The whole package of the S&W, price included, sold me.

I've read lots of great things about them, and also that they're a pain to disassemble. Of course, that's not a reason in itself to reject it. The whole package of the S&W, price included, sold me.

Yes, although I don't own one, there are a ton of reviews that discuss how accurate and well-built the Ruger Mark lll is, but most end up complaining about the difficulty in disassembling it for cleaning.

OP, excellent review. For the price, the Victory appears to be a very good shooter. I understand that you can also buy other barrels for it, and it does disassemble very easily. Hopefully, the loose screw will not be a problem for you. Give us a follow-up review after you have more rounds through it.

That was fast. What state? How much? Very nice.
Connecticut. Mine was the first and only one in the store. Got it for $422 out the door, including 100 rounds of CCI SV - that was Tuesday. I've seen two more in a different shop and more posts on forums from new owners. I bet this gun will be a big seller so you shouldn't have trouble finding one soon.

The Ruger is a great gun but a bitch to disassemble. The Browning is easy to break down for cleaning (remove the barrel) but I have found that I have to re zero the pistol upon re assembly.

It seems that S&W has come up with a solution for these problems in a gun that retails for only $409. Everything I have read about the Victory is positive; I am getting the urge to buy one despite the fact that I already own three 22 target guns. I get a chuckle out of the hype that there are custom barrels already available. I can see no reason for replacing the stock S&W barrel unless you want to replace it with a lighter version for a specific sport a la steel. The stock barrel should be just as acccurate as the after market versions.

I'm all in.... it's on my hit list as soon as available... looks like one of my Ruger Mark III's goes up for sale.. thanks for the review, it was excellent, I look forward to some updates..

Good luck with those magazines. It looks like the same POS used on the 22A. The baseplate will break if you should happen to drop the magazine, or even tap it too hard putting it in the gun.

That's a design Smith could improve upon.

OP thx for the write up.

the grip angle looks like something in between a 22/45 and the standard Mark III. how does the grip angle feel? does it point naturally?

The grip feels great to me, points well. I haven't shot all that many handguns before but I'd definitely say this one is comfortable to shoot. One YouTube reviewer, .22Plinkster, said he felt the grips were too small - but also that he had huge hands.

As for the magazines, I couldn't tell you what sets them apart, but they are different from the 22A's. I'd love to get 3-4 more before too long.

As for the magazines, I couldn't tell you what sets them apart, but they are different from the 22A's. I'd love to get 3-4 more before too long.
Here's one of my (still good) 22A magazines, along with new replacement baseplate. Looks pretty similar to me. They may not be strictly interchageable, but they are made from the same shitty plans.

6vn1gQT.jpg

Everyone complains about taking them down to clean them. They need to be cleaned about every 3 year or so.
I am interested in the Victory and may pick one up. I shoot a lot of 22. My MKIII has 10's of thousands of rounds through it and other than a few parts that wore out (extractor and related) it has been flawless.

Smith worked with the aftermarket while they were developing the gun, so Volquartsen barrels are already available. Custom grips will also be out before too long. A larger/longer slide release would be nice, maybe that'll happen too. While adjusting my grip once, I did inadvertently engage the safety. There is a magazine disconnect that can be easily removed (I've seen a YouTube video on that already). The rear sight assembly can be removed and replaced with an (included) picatinny rail that has a notch at the rear to continue shooting with open sights.

Looking forward to many thousands of rounds through this gun, can't wait till my next range trip.
Thanks, have a great weekend
Steve

How is the trigger on the gun?

Does volquartsen plan to make trigger kits for this gun? Or grips?

I have zero complaints about the trigger. Can't say whether or not an experienced target shooter would want something lighter, but I'm happy with it. Very clean break - in his video 22Plinkster said it was "butter" haha so that's good. Have not heard about Volq triggers specifically. There was a Victory seen at SHOT Show with some wild looking wood competition grips on it, so yes there will be options in that area. The grip panels do come off with two screws apiece, so it really seems like S&W planned for nearly everything on the gun to be customize-able.

these look interesting, yeah, i'd like one too. getting super reviews from the people who've had a chance to use one.

Hopefully this will be MA Compliant by the time I apply for my LTC-A in May, because I'm heavily considering on buying one of these as my first .22 handgun, this review has put me on the edge. I can't wait to see other reviews on this model. Now the question is if I buy this before or after a 1911.

I don't really clean my Mark III and it doesn't mind. Maybe a bore snake and a shot of oil once a year. But the modularity and ease of working on this gun does look nice.

I am sure it will be out on the next updated EOPS list. I am definitely getting one myself! Not sure how often they update the list, is it every quarter? The latest was updated 9/2015, so I am wondering if the new list will be out in April? I am sure it won't be long before the aftermarket will have a bunch of goodies to upgrade!

The S&W MP-22 and MP-22 compact both aren't on the MA roster. I've read somewhere (forget where) that Smith has no plans on making either of those firearms MA compliant.

Why would they add the Victory to the roster?

Hopefully this will be MA Compliant by the time I apply for my LTC-A in May, because I'm heavily considering on buying one of these as my first .22 handgun, this review has put me on the edge. I can't wait to see other reviews on this model. Now the question is if I buy this before or after a 1911.
Before... Basic pistol training on a 22 is both economical and a great learning platform. As much as I love 1911's I will never be without a 22lr pistol.

The S&W MP-22 and MP-22 compact both aren't on the MA roster. I've read somewhere (forget where) that Smith has no plans on making either of those firearms MA compliant.

Why would they add the Victory to the roster?

The Roster has the 22A-1 and the 22S-1. I thought that was the Victory.
I realize now that is not the case.

Last edited:
FS salespeople on Saturday said that their S&W rep told them S&W has no intention to have the SW22 undergo testing to get it MA compliant.

S&W would really need to eff up the gun a lot to make it MA compliant, IMO. Just the 10# trigger is enough to ruin a good target pistol.

Back
Top Bottom