First gun - vp9, fn 509 tactical, or sig 320

Hello!

Great forum, I have been reading it every day lately.

Looking for help selecting a MA compliment gun. This is going to be my first hand gun. Mostly range shooting. Below is my short list:

1 - Vp9 - like the grip, mag drop is a bit strange

2 - Fn 509 tactical - it is big, I like suppressor sights and rmr cut out of the box - will save me $ on rmr related items later

3 - Sig 320 x5 - have not had a chance to shoot it yet

I do want to add RMR, light (300x?), and find a good holster that I can practice with at the range.

Selecting 9mm because of how much the ammo is. Will have something else for home defense (sw governor?).

Any other suggestions? Thoughts? Should I add to the list? I know, Glock 19/34... just very confused, can’t get a straight answer on what is legal and what is borderline legal in MA. Do not want to end up with a gun that I am afraid to carry around.

Please educate me... do not need to be gentle!

I think you like this though...

iu

Don't discount the paddle mag release. It doesn't take long to get used to it, and you have ambi-capability at all times.

I have many 10's of thousands of rounds through my Walther P99's without a hitch. I wish my Q5's could be had with the paddle release instead of the button.

Last edited:
I hear really good things about the 509 tactical but haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. The Sig X5 is solid, so is the vp9
I have a vp9 but honestly I don't really like it.
Also, FYI there is nothing illegal about owning a Glock in MA just the buying of them is a pain in the ass. Check the classified.
If I had to have one gun it would be a Glock 19 and that's why I have a pile of them.

The nine will suit you just fine as a home defense gun. Especially if your looking to build it up like you've mentioned.

The girlfriend owns a 320c, not a bad gun, shoots well.
I wasnt thrilled with the VP9s I've shot.

509 is a fun looking gun that I haven't shot but if it behaves anything like the FNX45 I have then it will be a good gun.

Howdy,

I've had my VP9 for about three months. It was my first gun. I think it's great. I have the one with the night sights. It is more money but it comes with three mags. Since it's my first gun I wasn't used to the push button release found on other guns so it wasn't an issue to become comfortable with it.

I've fired about 750 rounds so far and not 1 failure. I've been using the Sellier & Bellot 115 grain FMJ.

just my 2 cents

Hello!

Great forum, I have been reading it every day lately.

Looking for help selecting a MA compliment gun. This is going to be my first hand gun. Mostly range shooting. Below is my short list:

1 - Vp9 - like the grip, mag drop is a bit strange

2 - Fn 509 tactical - it is big, I like suppressor sights and rmr cut out of the box - will save me $ on rmr related items later

3 - Sig 320 x5 - have not had a chance to shoot it yet

I do want to add RMR, light (300x?), and find a good holster that I can practice with at the range.

Selecting 9mm because of how much the ammo is. Will have something else for home defense (sw governor?).

Any other suggestions? Thoughts? Should I add to the list? I know, Glock 19/34... just very confused, can’t get a straight answer on what is legal and what is borderline legal in MA. Do not want to end up with a gun that I am afraid to carry around.

Please educate me... do not need to be gentle!

For starters the mass "compliance" list of handguns has nothing to do with legal or illegal. It has to do with what a licensed dealer is "allowed" to sell you. If a dealer in mass sells a handgun to you or you buy a Handgun used on an efa10 from a private sale its legal for you to own it. Your never going to get arrested for having a handgun on you thats not on "the list".

Also.......the list is mostly utter bullshit anyway......shop around......you can get what you want.....list be damned.

For starters the mass "compliance" list of handguns has nothing to do with legal or illegal. It has to do with what a licensed dealer is "allowed" to sell you. If a dealer in mass sells a handgun to you or you buy a Handgun used on an efa10 from a private sale its legal for you to own it. Your never going to get arrested for having a handgun on you thats not on "the list".

Also.......the list is mostly utter bullshit anyway......shop around......you can get what you want.....list be damned.

I'm going to play "one-eyed Jack" here. This is only the 5,539th time the list has been discussed on NES. [laugh]

Man... First gun and you're talking full Gucci buildout lol.

I have no experience with any of those guns except for the X5, and I was very impressed with it. Great feel. I strictly drink Glock kool aide, so if you go that direction I could help.

only one i own is the 320. still have it, going on 25 years. if i didn't like it i still wouldn't have it but i'll say this, it was a hard gun to shoot well. back it the day i was a fairly decent pistol shooter and this was a bear to master...for me anyway. long, long da pull, very mushy sa. never had it worked on, i just put up with it. but like an ugly dog, i learned to love it.

Vp9, and if the paddle is really an issue there is the new vp9b with the traditional button release. I also got the hk parts spring kit for like 15 bucks and it is awesome.

Glock G45 with OC trigger, Dawson sights, trigger undercut, vickers slide stop, and talon grips. You're welcome.

Love my VP9, I'm not an RMR fan but I did grab one of the O-light weapon lights during a flash sale.

Also (profile pic gives it away) I am a Sig fanboi and I like my 320 but the my VP9 is the most ergonomic comfortable pistol I own and it runs like a top.

Like others have, and will, suggest. Make sure you try whatver you consider buying before you buy.

I have a VP9 and 320C. I reach for the VP9 most of the time at the range but I find it a bit big to carrry. The trigger on the VP9 feels better to me and I find it more comfortable to hold.

Ya know what I love??? The humor of gunowners.

Glock - "finally" going back to smooth front grip panel from the finger-grooves that "never fit anyone right" and were "not useful." Best in class right now for the same size pistol?? VP9 with front finger grooves. Hell, there are even articles about how the VP9 should have been the new .mil pistol DESPITE IT MISSING THE WHOLE FINGER GROOVE BATTLE seconds after it was waged.

For YEARS, people complained that Glock didn't have adjustable backstraps. Glock gets adjustable backstraps. "No, we all want the P320 with NO adjustable backstraps. Everyone fits the same model no matter what and we all think it's rainbows and creamed corn!"

I only own the P320 of the 3 you mentioned. I like it despite it having the typical SIG high bore axis. It's pretty damned comfortable. The trigger is fine but not the "like being caressed by a baby cherub" quality. I've got a few stock Glocks with better triggers.

I would recommend this: Get the cheapest of the 3 and then a case of ammo. Commit to shooting that ammo in the next 3 months tops. Weekly range trips. That's only 100rds a week or so.

What you'll find is you'll realize better what you are looking for. And if the platform you have isn't right, it won't cost you an arm and a leg to sell that and buy what is right.

These are all different guns really. A compact vp9, fullish size fn509, competition x5. All good guns I do like the 509. Check Canik too perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom