• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First gun suggestions

Ok, so I was thinking of starting off with a .22. My buddy has a Ruger Mark III with a red dot sight. I really dug shooting it, but he tells me it is a bit of a pain to disassemble and clean. I'm not super mechanically inclined, so this is a bit of a turn off for me. Given time, I'm sure I'd learn to break it down.

I've also looked at the Sig Mosquito. I like the idea of the size being very close to the P226, but it doesn't have rails for any sights...at least not that I am aware of.

Can anyone make suggestions on a nice .22 that will take a red dot sight and is easy to break down for cleaning?

Thanks

Craig

You don't have to break down the Ruger all that often to clean it. Run a boresnake through it and swab out the chamber every so often and it should work for you.

Get the Ruger. And learn how to take care of it.

DISCLAIMER: Almost everything you are about to hear is 2nd hand!

I'm EXTREMELY new, and in fact just started my own thread on this subject (maybe we should combine them). From what I've heard, the Rugers are great to get started on. I've read a lot and just last night heard first-hand that the Mosquito can be quite finicky when it comes to ammo. Not to mention that the potential savings on a MKIII vs. Mosquito could probably buy a few thousand rounds of .22LR to practice with!

Go with the Ruger. As mentioned, a bore snake and cleaner will keep it good for quite a long time. Eventually, you'll need to learn how to clean any firearm you own, so might as well learn on this. A couple of things I've heard:
- From the dealer I bought one from, put a good number of rounds down it before trying to clean it, so it will be loosened up.
- If you follow the instructions provided with it exactly, they're not that bad to take apart and clean.

ever hear of a revolver?

Pilgrim, I am not against a revolver by any stretch. Can you tell me what you'd recommend and why?

The main thing I want is a red dot. I am visually impaired and I had some issues with the iron sights on the .38 and .22 revolver that EddieCoyle let us shoot during my class. Does adding BrightSight to those sights help?

Thanks

Craig

Well, I just watch a video on YouTube about breaking the Ruger down. Doesn't look too hard, but I think my friend was commenting on the springs being a pain to remove and clean.

So, maybe the Ruger Mark III will be my choice unless someone can give me a good compelling reason to do otherwise. I like the idea of the less expensive ammo as well shooting in the .22 caliber range.

The ruger mark-whatevers are all great pistols. I'd be surprised if you had to FIELD STRIP it before you got through your first 10k rounds.

I personally, just don't like the way they point.

I'll also say that the Ruger MkIII is a great gun. It is a pain to disassemble. First time I got it I would strip the thing apart even if I put just a few rounds down the range, but pretty soon you'll learn that it isn't necessary. I use a bore snake and a good cleaning solution (my favorite is "Bull Frog, Rusthunter".

Well, I just watch a video on YouTube about breaking the Ruger down. Doesn't look too hard, but I think my friend was commenting on the springs being a pain to remove and clean.

So, maybe the Ruger Mark III will be my choice unless someone can give me a good compelling reason to do otherwise. I like the idea of the less expensive ammo as well shooting in the .22 caliber range.

If you are pulling springs from your Mark III, you are doing more than a field strip. Field stripping involves learning a dance (and maybe a rubber mallet, at first), but it gets better after time. While it is a lot more complex than other guns, I think it's reputation for a pain in the rear to field strip is partially Internet Amplification. I did require a bit of assistance, my first time (didn't get the receiver on all the way..), but it is fairly easy, now.

The fact that it takes effort to break down is only a minor hitch in what is a great gun.

I need to go shoot mine...

I would stay away from the SIG and Walther .22s. If you want a SIG in .22 get a 226/229/220 and get a SIG .22 conversion for it. I have had two Walther P22s. Both were at best just ok. I have a Ruger Standard (that is a pre Mark model). I got it used for under $200. Took it apart and cleaned and lubed it when I bought it, now I just run a boresnake down it and wipe the chamber with a patch with some CLP on it after a trip to the range. Function has been 100%. So look around for a use Standard, Mark I, II, or III. They will last your lifetime. For revolvers, there are the already mentioned S&W. Very smooth, easy to clean and will also last your lifetime. You can also ger a Ruger Bearcat or Single Six. Look for a clean used one. They are simple to maintain, and will pretty much function perfectly for ever with simple cleanings. Do not over think it. Figure out what fits your fancy and find a nice deal on a used one and have fun.

Pilgrim, I am not against a revolver by any stretch. Can you tell me what you'd recommend and why?

The main thing I want is a red dot. I am visually impaired and I had some issues with the iron sights on the .38 and .22 revolver that EddieCoyle let us shoot during my class. Does adding BrightSight to those sights help?

Thanks

Craig

Depending on available cash, a Ruger Single Six or a S&W 17/617. The 17 is probably the best 22 revolver available where the Ruger is not as finely finished but is built like a tank.

The Ruger is the Ford and the SW is the Cadillac.

I've never heard of anyone who didn't consider the SW17 as the best revolver they ever owned. They can be scarcer than the Ruger as no one wants to ever get rid of them.

Bright sight or other such paints make a big difference.

I would strongly recommend you stick with a .22 for your fist gun. You will be VERY happy later that you made the decision.

A good .22 gives you the chance to get a lot of practice at all the basics without dealing with the additional noise and recoil (however small the recoil may be) from a centerfire gun. That means you get the chance to truly master the basics of good marksmanship for small money all the way around and once you've got those, the skills are essentially the same, whether your next gun is a .9mm or a .500.

I have some beautiful handguns, but the S&W model 17 .22 pistol is one of my all-time favorites and that includes the custom 1911 I have $2000 into.

I have a Ruger Mk II. It is pretty good. If I had to do it again, I would get the one with the longer barrel and fiber hi-viz sights which I think is the "Hunter" model. However, it doesn't say if you live in MA or not. If not, I would recommend a Browning Buckmark. If I could get one of those here, I would have. I have no problem recommending the Ruger either.

I got the Ruger Mk III Hunter, and it's a fine gun. You can strip it with a paper clip, non-marring hammer, and only 3 or 4 curses. But if I could do it again I'd get a S&W M41.

Revolvers are for old folks that can't get their mind around how a spring works.

LOL Just kidding, what kind of revolvers did you have in mind.

Springs break/stretch/compress. Extractors fail. Slide jam. Bottom feeders are ammo picky.

For a first gun, a revolver is recommended by many.

Read my followup to the same question asked by the OP.

Last edited:
Springs break/stretch/compress. Extractors fail. Slide jam. Bottom feeders are ammo picky.

For a first gun, a revolver is recommended by many.

Read my followup to the same question asked by the OP.

+1 I agree with you here revolvers make the best first guns

I love my Smith and Wesson, 22A. Walther P22 is nice too.

I have a Ruger Single Six revolver and bought for my daughter a Walther P22, both with Bushnell multi-reticle red/green dot sights. I highly recommend this sight.
The Walther mount for the sight attaches to the mounting rail beneath the front of the barrel, and wraps around the barrel. The only disadvantage of this setup - the mount must be removed to completely break down the gun. On the upside - you really don't need to break down the pistol to clean it. BE CAREFUL not to overtighten the mounting screws or you may damage the polymer frame.
The Ruger revolver requires drilling and tapping for the scope mount. This is easily done by any somewhat competent machinist or gunsmith. I used a Wiegand scope mount which is specifically designed for the Ruger. It is a very well engineered mount which works flawlessly. (I also have one on my Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag - also with the Bushnell sight.)

The questions are - What gun has a good balance for you, and fits well in your hand? The best choice is something that is comfortable to YOU.
What type of shooting do you intend to do? The Walther is a great choice for practice for using a semi-auto in a personal defense application. Its shorter barrel and stiffer trigger pull make guns like the Ruger revolver a much better choice for target applications.

To me, the first consideration is whether you will be going for best accuracy (target - light trigger) or speed (defense/action pistol - heavy trigger, double action)

In the end, the BEST choice is the gun that you are most comfortable with.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention one VERY IMPORTANT advantage of revolvers. They can digest ANY ammo. The semi-autos need ammo with at least enough power to properly work the slide OR THEY WILL JAM. This never used to be an issue, as match grade or higher power ammo was always readily available. NOT SO the last two years. I have had a devil of a time keeping my daughters supplied with ammo for their pistols (Walther P22 and Browning Challenger II). Match Target and Stinger ammo has been very scarce around here.
I have tried several brands of supposedly hyper-velocity and high velocity .22 ammo. Whenever one of their pistols fails to feed (eject) a brand of ammo, we just set that box aside for use in the revolver. Revolvers can eat ANYTHING.

Of course, if you want to have jams, to practice clearing them, that's another story. LOL

I love my Smith and Wesson, 22A. Walther P22 is nice too.

I have a Ruger Single Six revolver and bought for my daughter a Walther P22, both with Bushnell multi-reticle red/green dot sights. I highly recommend this sight.
The Walther mount for the sight attaches to the mounting rail beneath the front of the barrel, and wraps around the barrel. The only disadvantage of this setup - the mount must be removed to completely break down the gun. On the upside - you really don't need to break down the pistol to clean it. BE CAREFUL not to overtighten the mounting screws or you may damage the polymer frame.
The Ruger revolver requires drilling and tapping for the scope mount. This is easily done by any somewhat competent machinist or gunsmith. I used a Wiegand scope mount which is specifically designed for the Ruger. It is a very well engineered mount which works flawlessly. (I also have one on my Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag - also with the Bushnell sight.)

The questions are - What gun has a good balance for you, and fits well in your hand? The best choice is something that is comfortable to YOU.
What type of shooting do you intend to do? The Walther is a great choice for practice for using a semi-auto in a personal defense application. Its shorter barrel and stiffer trigger pull make guns like the Ruger revolver a much better choice for target applications.

To me, the first consideration is whether you will be going for best accuracy (target - light trigger) or speed (defese/action pistol - heavy trigger, double action)

In the end, the BEST choice is the gun that you are most comfortable with.

Thanks

Craig

My revolver choice for a new shooter would be a Ruger Single Six, makes you really learn fundamentals, can get 22WMR cylinder that is a powerful round and fun as hell to shoot, not to mention that they are known "tack drivers" I have one of course and sometimes prefer it to my 1911s and my 92FS.
Tank

A Ruger Mark III was my first gun. After you buy it, go to Home Depot and get a rubber hammer/mallet. That and the YouTube Videos will get you through the disassembly!

A Ruger Mark III was my first gun. After you buy it, go to Home Depot and get a rubber hammer/mallet. That and the YouTube Videos will get you through the disassembly!

If you think he is joking, think twice. I have a rubber mallet for mine. A slight tap to knock the receiver loose, and another tap or three to reseat it when you are done. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom